WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Plenty of nonsense heard from this thread. 3 bar are good enough for swimming. But vostok watch are not high reputable for their QC so it's matter of reputation about their QC rather than the spec.

A watch need not bring to deep water 200m deep to do the test but can be done inside a pressure chamber. If a watch is rated to go 30m deep, yes. It shall. I will trust a Casio watch and their recommend.

https://youtu.be/xY_XfNbsHHM
It's not nonsense - it comes from the standards defined by ISO 2281. A 3 bar watch is considered 'splash resistant', and swimming is not recommended for anything under a 10 bar rating. Start watching at 1:33:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5NjrGPBEKs

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
I dare you to wear a Patek Calatrava while swimming.

Most recommendations would suggest 3 bar is okay for rain, 5 bar under a tap, and 10 bar and up for swimming.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Why not? A highly reputable companies like Patek. You mean their QC that included water pressure test is shabby? I will think twice for a vostok but not for Rolex, omega or patek cos I think they are stronger in finance ,meaning able to afford good QC for their products.

If even a shabby companies like skimei can manage to make a few of their watch good for 5m depth dive. What is stopping a 30m wr patek?

https://youtu.be/jJZh1_MmoRE

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
It's not nonsense - it comes from the standards defined by ISO 2281. A 3 bar watch is considered 'splash resistant', and swimming is not recommended for anything under a 10 bar rating. Start watching at 1:33:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5NjrGPBEKs
That is just a conversative recommendation. They never say, it must strictly follow. 30m wr is meant to go 30m deep in water. Period.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
There are plenty of stories you can find here and in reviews online about people swimming, snorkeling, and shallow diving with Seiko 5's that are rated 30m
Precisely, there are plenty of misconception about water resistant. Buyer need to under stand watch companies mentality. If I sell watches, I will be very happy if none of my customers bring their watches to swim or diving even all of them are rates 300m wr. Cos your watch will never have water leak damage needed to repair if none of your customers swim with it. I will save huge chunk of repair money.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Why not? A highly reputable companies like Patek. You mean their QC that included water pressure test is shabby? I will think twice for a vostok but not for Rolex, omega or patek cos I think they are stronger in finance ,meaning able to afford good QC for their products.

If even a shabby companies like skimei can manage to make a few of their watch good for 5m depth dive. What is stopping a 30m wr patek?

https://youtu.be/jJZh1_MmoRE
Why not? Because you clearly don't understand WR ratings. Look at the video linked above from long island watch that explains everything, or alternatively just look at the Wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_Resistant_mark

·
Registered
1,443 Posts

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Why not? Because you clearly don't understand WR ratings. Look at the video linked above from long island watch that explains everything, or alternatively just look at the Wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_Resistant_mark

Let me show what your link mention

For example, a watch marked 30 metres water resistant cannot be expected to withstand activity for longer time periods in a swimming pool, let alone continue to function at 30 metres under water.

Hi, it mention it cannot be expected to withstand activities for a longer period of time and I never mention I can dive or stand underwater for an extended period of time like a crocodile. I not the first time dipping these watches in the pool. And I never mention for a 30m wr watch and you shall be always tested it's limit by going into 30m deep. I mention swimming with 30m wr watch not diving into 10m or 30m deep for an extended period of time. Your link never mention, you shall never swim with 30m wr watch. What is swimming? Most of the common pool might not even goes beyond 1.8m for safety sake. So how deep do you think u can go with a 30m wr watch? And do u think I can continous swim or stay submerged for an hour? Not only me, I bet most commoner wouldn't stay long. You need to understand between stay underwater for an extended period of time vs temporary submerged underwater.

Let me ask you a final question. Will patek gives a low quality gasket for a $20000 new 30m wr watch?

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
I personally adhere to the 100m+ rule for swimming, but for 50 bux it's no great loss if it leaks. Kinda the point of a beater, isn't it?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
It your own personal preference if you want to be more caution. It's ok but like some who insist 30m wr can't even take a splash or even submerged underwater is nonsense. Especially for a reputable brand like patek, omega or rolex. I have even try a 100m Seiko 5 non screw down crown watch into 5m deep during my trip to Thailand Phuket and not a single leak happens. If it's leaks , it's the QC failed and not becos it can't by spec.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It your own personal preference if you want to be more caution. It's ok but like some who insist 30m wr can't even take a splash or even submerged underwater is nonsense. Especially for a reputable brand like patek, omega or rolex. I have even try a 100m Seiko 5 non screw down crown watch into 5m deep during my trip to Thailand Phuket and not a single leak happens. If it's leaks , it's the QC failed and not becos it can't by spec.
I agree with you on that. Chances are you would be fine but for something over a few hundred bucks I'm not gonna chance it. Better safe than sorry as far as I'm concerned.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Vostok Amphibia is a great watch, and is definitely a great beater, but keep in mind:

- Getting replacement parts is a bit of a hassle (you have to order parts online, best done when you order the watch, a new crystal and perhaps bezel if you want to change it).
- Servicing it is a huge hassle (again, parts are not readily available / would have to be special ordered by your watchmaker, there are online services though).
- I placed an order together with some friends. Of the 4 watches ordered, mine is the one with the broken mainspring after two years.

YMMV

If you can stretch your budget a bit, you could get a Steinhart Ocean One Vintage, which makes an excellent beater: Steinhart Watches - Ocean 1 Vintage Red - NEW

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Let me show what your link mention

For example, a watch marked 30 metres water resistant cannot be expected to withstand activity for longer time periods in a swimming pool, let alone continue to function at 30 metres under water.

Hi, it mention it cannot be expected to withstand activities for a longer period of time and I never mention I can dive or stand underwater for an extended period of time like a crocodile. I not the first time dipping these watches in the pool. And I never mention for a 30m wr watch and you shall be always tested it's limit by going into 30m deep. I mention swimming with 30m wr watch not diving into 10m or 30m deep for an extended period of time. Your link never mention, you shall never swim with 30m wr watch. What is swimming? Most of the common pool might not even goes beyond 1.8m for safety sake. So how deep do you think u can go with a 30m wr watch? And do u think I can continous swim or stay submerged for an hour? Not only me, I bet most commoner wouldn't stay long. You need to understand between stay underwater for an extended period of time vs temporary submerged underwater.

Let me ask you a final question. Will patek gives a low quality gasket for a $20000 new 30m wr watch?
If you want to risk a 20K Patek with 30 meters WR and go scuba diving with it to 25 meter... be my guest. There is a reason why there is a general consensus about what to do with what watch. This is not some big conspiracy by the manufacturers to make you pay more for over engineered watches. People generally tend to err on the side of caution with their watches. Can you go swimming with a 30M WR watch? sure... Will it survive? Perhaps. Would I risk it? Nope.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
If you want to risk a 20K Patek with 30 meters WR and go scuba diving with it to 25 meter... be my guest. There is a reason why there is a general consensus about what to do with what watch. This is not some big conspiracy by the manufacturers to make you pay more for over engineered watches. People generally tend to err on the side of caution with their watches. Can you go swimming with a 30M WR watch? sure... Will it survive? Perhaps. Would I risk it? Nope.
Hi, pls don't put words into my words. All i saying is a 30m wr watch shall meet it spec of submerged underwater. Does going underwater 25m considered swimming? Flip back and see how many claim that you can't take a 30m wr watch from a reputable watch companies for a swim.

I don't make empty talk. I do have tested pulsar and some citizen watch with 30m wr for a swim and they are not new watch. But they survive the swim.

Over caution is one thing but to make false statement is another thing which I want to correct it.

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
23,199 Posts
I dare you to wear a Patek Calatrava while swimming.

Most recommendations would suggest 3 bar is okay for rain, 5 bar under a tap, and 10 bar and up for swimming.

It is not nonsense. 30m is not really suitable for swimming. I would never take a 30m watch swimming, needs to be at least 100m.
This is rated 3 bar/30m and its instruction book says it’s okay for swimming around (think “hanging out at the resort pool” swimming). I can go find the book when I get home.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Bertucci will take a beating. More a military style.
This. I have a time-only A1-S 36mm white dial and I love it. Screw-down crown in the 4 o'clock position, 100m WR. Crystal sits below the bezel, protecting from flat strikes. It's light, and looks badass. Only gripe is that the lug widths (which are integrated into the case, for extra durability) are 19mm. But more and more strap makers are offering odd width lugs these days, so it's become less of a problem in recent years. Grabbed mine lightly used off their website for $60 USD. Highway robbery for what you get.

Casio MDV-106 is the answer to your search. Diver style, 200M (20 bar) water resistance and $40 price point.
This, this, and so much this. Every WIS needs to have one of these, even if you leave it in your briefcase or glovebox in case you forget your watch or whatever. For what you pay, you get a lot of watch. And don't be scared off by the dial diameter. The case is contoured perfectly. Looks like it was poured onto my puny 6.5" wrists. Also grab a good cheap bracelet with hollow end links, some no-tooth (or smooth) hobby pliers, and learn to fold hollow end links to integrate into this bad boy, and it will really pop. Pics below is before I did all that. I don't have any pics after though. Anyway, I loved mine. And when the battery dies, just toss it and get another one.

I personally adhere to the 100m+ rule for swimming, but for 50 bux it's no great loss if it leaks. Kinda the point of a beater, isn't it?
I've read all the idiotic arguing on this, so I've thrown my hands in the air and concluded that I have a personal rule on this. For swimming, I'm with taegel9. It's my own rule, it's nonsensical, and it works for me. My minimum is 100m, and in addition to that, screw-down crown. It's just me, I'm a lunatic, so there's no need to counterpunch with all sorts of internet links or arguments... ;-)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
70,547 Posts
Plenty of folk swim in a 50M watch but I never get anything wet that’s rated less than 100M. For what you want the MDV-106 is just shouting out.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
This, this, and so much this. Every WIS needs to have one of these, even if you leave it in your briefcase or glovebox in case you forget your watch or whatever. For what you pay, you get a lot of watch. And don't be scared off by the dial diameter.
I wondered if that MDV-106 would pull you in. ;-)

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 69 Posts