WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well... a Rolex is technically a "beater" since they're tool watches...but I gotcha...

I personally like Casio G-Shock or the automatic wind Swatch (cheapest auto one can buy) for knockabout, who cares if it's lost mentality, while still plugging in to the WIS sense we just CAN'T turn off!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Woof...It's not a little thing is it. Case size is 48mm
I have it in a different color scheme. It’s not as big as it sounds. It’s about the same size as like a 6900. It is pretty light, though. The bezel on mine is super easy to turn, which I don’t like. I use mine as a lawn mowing and pool watch. Just wore it an hour ago for that.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I just wanted to chime in as someone who has had a watch with 30m WR ruined by splashing in a pool. It was a seiko 5 field watch, and I was not yet into collecting watches so I didn't know any better. Swimming in a pool, crown depressed, and the watch ended up full of water. Now I won't swim with less than 100m wr, and I really prefer a screw down crown. May be overkill, but it makes me feel better.

To anyone new to watches, take some advice and study up on water resistance. Dont listen to anyone that says 30m is good for swimming without doing your own research and understanding the risk you're taking. 30m MIGHT be okay for swimming, but it probably wont be.

And add another vote for the casio marlin. Tough as nails, cheaper than a nice tshirt, and pretty decent to look at.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just spent a week on a beach holiday in the sea every day. Me with an SKX009 & my daughter with a Casio W86 (50m water resistance). In fact writing this at airport on way home. No problems with either.

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
23,197 Posts
I just wanted to chime in as someone who has had a watch with 30m WR ruined by splashing in a pool. It was a seiko 5 field watch, and I was not yet into collecting watches so I didn't know any better. Swimming in a pool, crown depressed, and the watch ended up full of water. Now I won't swim with less than 100m wr, and I really prefer a screw down crown. May be overkill, but it makes me feel better.
Sounds like a defective watch. A defective 100m-rated watch would flood, too.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
35m WR is good for jogging in the rain and making coffee only.

100m is the minimum I put anywhere near water. In fact, I don’t even leave my watches in the bathroom when I shower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Its odd to me that no one has mentioned the difference between static pressure underwater (3 BAR = 45 psi?) vs/ the dynamic pressure of a water faucet. Household water pressure can be as high as 80 psi coming into the house and then raised much higher through a restricted orifice (think shower head). Also the dynamic pressure of diving into the swimming pool is probably higher at the water surface than the static pressure at the bottom of the pool. WR is measured in terms of very benign static pressure which we rarely encounter in real life without an additional dynamic aspect.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts