WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bit odd, but I honestly get a kick when I see someone with a truly USED, borderline abused, fine time-piece. The nicer the piece the cooler it is.
Anyone else? Any pics?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
It's all a matter of opinion, but completely agree- there's nothing cooler in my mind than a watch that's had a bit of tough love a 5513 sub or 1675 GMT master, or a Bremont or Sinn or something… definitely! I think "babying" watches is boring, what's the point in having a shock resistant, water resistant, magnetic field resistant or whatever resistant watch if your afraid of it getting scratched up a bit!

There are obvious exceptions though... A Calatrava, for example, should pick up some signs of wear, but shouldn't look like it's been on the wrist of a construction worker every day for years.

Just my two cents!

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,281 Posts
Accumulated wear and tear from everyday use is one thing and I agree it can give the watch its own character and ‘personality’ so to speak. But anyone caught beating up a nice watch on purpose should be flogged publicly in the town square whilst wearing a shirt saying "I am a watch abuser". ;-)

·
Registered
9,627 Posts
I equate this to seeing a Ferrari at a track day, being driven as it was designed to be driven lol

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I equate this to seeing a Ferrari at a track day, being driven as it was designed to be driven lol
Your local Ferrari service agent would LOVE for every owner to believe that. Then the damned thing would be in the shop 50% of the time instead of the normal 25%.

·
Registered
14,860 Posts
Beating up a fine watch would strike me more as a waste of money.
Buying a fine watch that is entombed in a drawer of some kind most of the time would be seen by some as just as much of a waste of money.

Reactions: Ace McLoud

·
Registered
18,307 Posts
Buying a fine watch that is entombed in a drawer of some kind most of the time would be seen by some as just as much of a waste of money.
Yes to both. I really don't want to spend that kind of money on a watch only to keep it hidden in a box. I figure that the more expensive it is, the more it should be used.

But, if it gets so expensive that you don't want to ruin it... well, maybe you shouldn't have it at all, so sell it to some sucker... I mean, collector who's looking for an "investment".

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
i guess people have a different idea of what it means to have a 'beater'.... I define it as a watch you don't mind wearing every day without worrying about it ll the time. You don't necessarily need to hammer nails with your beater to count as one;)

·
Premium Member
20,813 Posts
i guess people have a different idea of what it means to have a 'beater'.... I define it as a watch you don't mind wearing every day without worrying about it ll the time. You don't necessarily need to hammer nails with your beater to count as one;)
By that definition, my Tudor Black Bay is my beater, but I prefer to refer to it as my everyday watch.

Reactions: richnyc

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,281 Posts
A beater to me is not my everyday type watch which is usually one of my nicer ones. I only wear a beater when there is higher chance of scratches/dings than everyday wear. Maybe for some people this happens every day, but I only mow the lawn or chop wood etc every few weeks.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,053 Posts
Agreed. The common sense method used by most collectors is to wear and enjoy a watch without beating it up.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I've got a bit of wabi on my Sinn. Adds character. Each nick and scratch is from an adventure, and it's not easy to scratch that tegimented case. I wouldn't be happy with the same marks on a dress watch, but I like it on a rugged tool watch.

·
Registered
9,343 Posts
A bit odd, but I honestly get a kick when I see someone with a truly USED, borderline abused, fine time-piece. The nicer the piece the cooler it is.
Anyone else? Any pics?
I'm with you 100%. The best watches, I find, for that look are old Submariners (Rolex or Tudor), Explorers / GMTs, and Doxas. Both look just fantastic when well used (which is really not the same thing as abused).

Along the lines of this:
444446-fs-doxa-sub-300t-searambler-and-divingstar.jpg

Reactions: pyiyha
1 - 20 of 27 Posts