WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Often fellow members of this forum post questions and comparisons between watches and many times when a Rolex is involved I feel like I see several posts that the Rolex should be picked "because its a Rolex".....

This answers in my humble opinion seriously falls short. If someone feels that Rolex is the better watch then please explain. Is it the movement, the history, the aesthetics.....just say anything past Its a Rolex.

Do not get me wrong, I am not bashing Rolex, they make amazing watches and have bullet proof pedigree, but when someone gives that answer I feel like a 5 year old just entered an adults discussion.

I am no watch expert but if I choose to include myself in a discussion as such I will give reasoning for which watch I would suggest/recommend....which is often a Rolex.

What gives?

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
The OP is right in that many recommendations lack context, especially when it comes to Rolex. Sometimes it can be valid WIS shorthand for a watch that is well made and retains its value. Sometimes it can mean no more than a "+1" type boost to a post count. But there are many other occasions on which a discussion based on metrics is warranted. Advocating a watch purchase based on name alone is at one end of the simplistic spectrum, just like equating Rolex with pretentiousness is at the other. Here's to raising the level of dialogue based on merits based on facts, however Quixotic that quest may be.

·
Registered
14,909 Posts
Aesthetics, always aesthetics for me and like many watches from many brands, some Rolex models qualify and thus my recommendation(s) . . .

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I think the comment in question ("...because it's a Rolex...") perfectly captures why some people buy them. Lots of folks on this forum are knowledgeable and will gladly provide you with sound reasoning to support their suggestions (whether it's Rolex, Omega, Grand Seiko, or whatever).

Others aren't...and won't.

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
I think with Rolex, some things are implied - resale value, classic look, name recognition, movt durability. Beyond that, one should expect more objective metrics to be provided. Still, the implied attributes do allow for Rolex to be a default answer in some cases.
For example:

"I want to get a new watch for $10K and know nothing about watches. Want to sell easily if I don't like it? - Answer should be Rolex due to implied resale value.
"I want to get a new watch and know nothing about watches but would like people to recognize it" - Answer should be Rolex due to implied recognition
"I want to get a new watch to engrave caseback and to pass on to my kids 40 yrs from now and it should not look dated" - Answer should be Rolex due to implied classic style\lack of drastic change and solid steel caseback and durability.

On the other hand there are a number of questions where Rolex is not the answer, or if it is, it should be substantiated with evidence. Ex:
"I am looking for a 3-hander watch with versatility to be worn in different situations and comfortable bracelet. Not looking to sell it - just for me to enjoy". This has many valid answers and if someone suggests a Rolex, they should make a case why,.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Often fellow members of this forum post questions and comparisons between watches and many times when a Rolex is involved I feel like I see several posts that the Rolex should be picked "because its a Rolex".....

This answers in my humble opinion seriously falls short. If someone feels that Rolex is the better watch then please explain. Is it the movement, the history, the aesthetics.....just say anything past Its a Rolex.

Do not get me wrong, I am not bashing Rolex, they make amazing watches and have bullet proof pedigree, but when someone gives that answer I feel like a 5 year old just entered an adults discussion.

I am no watch expert but if I choose to include myself in a discussion as such I will give reasoning for which watch I would suggest/recommend....which is often a Rolex.

What gives?
Seems like even when people say they want advice on a watch and they don't want a Rolex, the Rolex Submariner is suggested. Same with some Omega. I don't know why people would want everyone to have the same watch as them and I don't know why those watches are popular. People like to conform I guess. People like to justify the amount of money they spent in their conformity.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
The name, Rolex, speaks for itself.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Its a shame that Rolex are seen purely as status symbols by some and are definitely purchased by people who have no idea about watches and only buy it for the name. At first it definitely put me off purchasing a Rolex but eventually I chose to ignore this and buy the watch I wanted.

For me this links article really explains why someone into Watches would buy a Rolex:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/inside-rolex

·
Registered
14,909 Posts
Seems like even when people say they want advice on a watch and they don't want a Rolex, the Rolex Submariner is suggested. Same with some Omega. I don't know why people would want everyone to have the same watch as them and I don't know why those watches are popular. People like to conform I guess. People like to justify the amount of money they spent in their conformity.
simple, they appeal to other people (obviously) . . . . i assure you some, maybe many, people don't like/love/dislike/abhor the same things as you do . . .

Reactions: vkalia

·
Registered
549 Posts
Like those above have pointed out, Rolex checks many many boxes for one's collection. For anyone that prides themselves on having a "great watch collection" and not including a Rolex would be lacking. This would exclude those rare individuals that collect just one brand or aspect of watches. For example, the collection of every Omega Speedmaster or Heuer. Definitely collections that would merit interest and even depth, despite heavily concentrating on one particular "thing." Most collections don't work this way, however, thus Rolex being mentioned. For anyone that wants a piece of quality, history, craftsmanship and function Rolex is typically included in that list as by name alone, has shown to be a sure bet.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Obviously my mini rant was not for all occasions, many times simply throwing out the name as some above have mentioned fulfills the need!

·
Registered
776 Posts
simple, they appeal to other people (obviously) . . . . i assure you some, maybe many, people don't like/love/dislike/abhor the same things as you do . . .
Yeah but I don't tell everyone to get a Bell and Ross when they ask whether they should get an Omega or Rolex. It is like if you were asking what sports car to get and someone kept saying Toyota Camry because it is a Toyota. Makes no sense to me.

·
Premium Member
20,730 Posts
Oftentimes, people will recommend choosing the alternative simply because it's not a Rolex, do you have a similar aversion to such simplistic arguments?

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oftentimes, people will recommend choosing the alternative simply because it's not a Rolex, do you have a similar aversion to such simplistic arguments?
I have no aversion to simplistic conversations or to Rolexs. My comment was directed towards when comparisons and recommendations are going where people are putting comments and reasonings in, like when an OP asks for others opinions on why he/she should purchase specific models.

·
Registered
14,909 Posts
Yeah but I don't tell everyone to get a Bell and Ross when they ask whether they should get an Omega or Rolex. It is like if you were asking what sports car to get and someone kept saying Toyota Camry because it is a Toyota. Makes no sense to me.
yes, yes that's my point . . . sometimes what others (won't name names) write make no sense to me . . .

Reactions: NathanielGoodtimes

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,036 Posts
I think the comment in question ("...because it's a Rolex...") perfectly captures why some people buy them. Lots of folks on this forum are knowledgeable and will gladly provide you with sound reasoning to support their suggestions (whether it's Rolex, Omega, Grand Seiko, or whatever).

Others aren't...and won't.
+1 That's it in a nutshell.
I might add that Rolex name draws much more attention both good and bad on this forum than any other brand I'm aware of. So simple one line answers about Casio G Shock, Seiko Sarbxxx, Omega, etc., won't draw the attention and lightning that the R word does.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Is this thread because everyone wanted that guy to buy a Sub instead of that Hublot? ;-)

That Hublot was a trainwreck.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is this thread because everyone wanted that guy to buy a Sub instead of that Hublot? ;-)

That Hublot was a trainwreck.
Lol no, I posted this before that went up but I agree with you 100%!

1 - 20 of 151 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.