WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a new one from Eterna, releasing in February. Interesting design allowing a non-screwdown crown that can be wound under water. List price is around $4700. Even as a returning customer, with preorder discount, sounds like I'd have to cough up about $3500. Really thinking about it, though. I recently acquired a 4hands Kontiki which I love. The fit and finish are exceptional IMHO.

There are more pics and info at www.eterna.ch. If you go to news and partnerships section there is a neat Kontiki movie, showing some of the watches, including the diver, as well as some history on Heyerdahl's historic voyage.

Let me know what you guys think!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure about the frame, I assume titanium, but don't know. That's a good question. Here are the specs an AD sent me:

THE KONTIKI DIVER

Reference ID: 1594.41.40.1154

Movement: 1594 Movement: ETA caliber 2897; self-winding mechanical movement; specific Eterna rotor with côtes de Genève; certified chronometer.

Dial/hands: Black dial; central hours, minutes, and seconds hands, index marks and hands coated with superluminova; date indication at 7:30 o’clock; power reserve indication at 4 o’clock.

Case/back: PVD coated titanium case; dual-direction rotating, non-ratchet stainless steel bezel; spring-loaded buttons; rotating flange with diver marks via bezel; 4 mm thick, non-reflecting, scratch-resistant sapphire crystal; non-screw-down crown with patented sealing system; back with impressed KonTiki medallion; water resistant to 1000 meters.

Dimensions: Diameter: 46 mm; thickness: 16 mm.

Bracelet/clasp Black natural rubber strap with folding clasp and diver’s extension.

Warranty: 2 years.

Delivery: February 2007

Retail price: CAD 5500.-

I love the look of that watch, I didn't know it was going to be available ever.

Is the frame made of aluminium? If so, I would worry about long term reliablity.

·
Registered
596 Posts
That's an interesting case design - love the dial - a lot of $$$ but i'm sure it will be well worth it...:-! :-!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Eterna has been flogging this design for a while...

I doubt it'll ever get made and even if it does, do they really intend it to be a "real" diver or one of those fashion divers (think of that L/V Tambour that I luv to death)?!!

I have to wonder how the internal bezel functions if you have to flip up the watch body to access the crown! I suppose it's a cool design, if ya like that sort of art-school science-project train of thought, but it's not very practical.

More here:

http://horlogerie-suisse.com/2006/eterna/nouveautes.html

BT

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Eterna has been flogging this design for a while...

So, Brad, how do you really feel:-d ?

I think similarly, although they say the crown functions underwater and are selling it as a whole new technology. Anyway, call me old-fashioned, but I would never actually dive in a watch which cost this much (when you can get by with a sound watch for a fraction of the price). I do dive in my Aquagraph, but then, I think of that as a "real diver".

Anyway, according to the AD, it has a specific ship date in February. Was originally called a "concept", but its in Eterna's recent catalogs!

I'll be interested to read reviews once released...

I doubt it'll ever get made and even if it does, do they really intend it to be a "real" diver or one of those fashion divers (think of that L/V Tambour that I luv to death)?!!

I have to wonder how the internal bezel functions if you have to flip up the watch body to access the crown! I suppose it's a cool design, if ya like that sort of art-school science-project train of thought, but it's not very practical.

More here:

http://horlogerie-suisse.com/2006/eterna/nouveautes.html

BT

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
I love the design of this watch, but it seems like we've been waiting FOREVER for it to appear "in the flesh."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts