WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys, sorry for a bit of a rant here, but please bear with me.

From the Doxa Forum rules above:

"No linking to live auctions. Linking to a live auction really is a double edged sword. You may get the information you need, but you're only hurting your chance of getting a good deal in the end. More over, if you have no interest in the item yourself, you have possibly hurt someone else's chance of getting a good deal".

Yes, it goes on to state we can link to items of historical significance, but hey. Those can be linked and discussed after the gavel falls!

See this post on the Dive Watch forum....

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=78941

SnapIT (Breitling Forum Moderator) also posted thoughts on this subject, and stated it about as well as I've seen it. Can't seem to find it now, if I do I'll link it.

Edit: Okay, I found it. First is the thread name, then SnapIT's response to the post (echoes my thoughts perfectly!).

Re: Nice deal for someone...wife won't let me

G'day Denny,

Thanks for the heads up. The thing is, the forum is not here to spruke ebay auctions. We all know ebay is just a click away and spend much time there looking and dreaming and bidding when the price is right. We could post 10, 15, 20 auctions a day that are interesting in one way or another but refrain because at the end of the day you might be queering an auction for someone and not have the faintest idea the one of us are interested and looking to maximize the situation. Fair cop? I could point you to forum rule 3 but I think that would be over the top in this instance. Thanks for posting!

I hope SnapIT doesn't mind me borrowing his words. And I hope the members here will consider these thoughts before posting "the grail is on the 'Bay", or "Best example of XXX I'v seen in some time" or the like. Really doesn't serve any purpose that couldn't be discussed after the auction closes!

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Hey T, I agree with you. No live auction postings at all. Ebay is a crap shoot at best and if people take the time to search and find something that others haven't bothered to look for, then they deserve the (probably very slight) edge.

Pete

·
Registered
329 Posts
It really bothers me when someone who never posts here or uses another name decides to give a heads up on a Doxa auction.I am guessing 90% of the time they are pushing their own auctions.I think most guys here are like me and dont need to be told,we are ALWAYS watching.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I have been wondering why live auctions are always allowed on the Doxa forum but not on the others...I for one would like to see that forum rule enforced here.

Just my .02, Mike W.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Guys, I agree. We've been a bit lax about enforcing this rule, but we'll try harder to make sure no live auctions are linked unless they contain something fraudulent. 'Historically significant' items, as T-Bone so eloquently put it, should be discussed after the gavel falls. (And by 'we' I mean ALL of us forum members, right....?!?!? |>)

Paul

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
I have been wondering why live auctions are always allowed on the Doxa forum but not on the others...I for one would like to see that forum rule enforced here.

Just my .02, Mike W.
I see people all the time questioning the authenticity of a watch in an auction and post the link to the auction. When I was shopping around for my Seamaster, I ended up finding my deal on ebay, and while I wasn't an expert on Omega watches, I had questions about its authenticity that I didn't feel comfortable relying on myself to answer. What I did was swipe a few photos and post them in the Omega forum, not show the link off to the whole world.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I agree:-!

·
Registered
847 Posts
a contrary viewpoint

Personally I like to see links to other forums, sites auctions etc. I don't have the time myself to surf the myriad of watch related websites, so I find it handy if someone posts an aution on, for example, this forum so enthusiasts here don't miss out on something nice. Yes it opens up more bidders and potentially a higher prices as a result, but I would rather take the risk of that that potentially miss a nice peice.
My opinion FWIW.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Agreed with TBone.

Yesterday, I won an auction on a Fortis watch that surely would have sold for several hundred more if it were posted on a forum. Whew!

Lets enforce the rules and keep eBay fair to everyone. If you want something on eBay, you have to put some time in and find it like everyone else does.

Good post!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Re: a contrary viewpoint

Personally I like to see links to other forums, sites auctions etc. I don't have the time myself to surf the myriad of watch related websites, so I find it handy if someone posts an aution on, for example, this forum so enthusiasts here don't miss out on something nice. Yes it opens up more bidders and potentially a higher prices as a result, but I would rather take the risk of that that potentially miss a nice peice.
My opinion FWIW.
I'm on this side of the fence too :)

We're supposed to be a community here which to me means helping each other out, so what's wrong with posting a heads-up on something nice that might be missed if not flagged?

I'd rather a forum member gets the chance at bidding or buying than something tasty going to Mr.Joe Bloggs. Although it's correct to say seek and ye shall find not everyone has time to do daily searches...

D.

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts

We're supposed to be a community here which to me means helping each other out, so what's wrong with posting a heads-up on something nice that might be missed if not flagged?

I'd rather a forum member gets the chance at bidding or buying than something tasty going to Mr.Joe Bloggs. Although it's correct to say seek and ye shall find not everyone has time to do daily searches...

D.
You have plenty of the "grail Doxas" No complaining.....:-d:-d:-d

I am totally just kidding:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d

Seriously, you sure have scored some nice watches lately. I don't think I have ever seen one of your pics of the NOS T-Graph from John..............Got any???

·
Registered
1,369 Posts

You have plenty of the "grail Doxas" No complaining.....:-d:-d:-d

I am totally just kidding:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d

Seriously, you sure have scored some nice watches lately. I don't think I have ever seen one of your pics of the NOS T-Graph from John..............Got any???
Yeah i've been lucky - payoff for spending far too much midnight oil monitoring the net!!

The 600 T-Graph will be here in about three weeks, it's being collected for me from the USA hence the delay, pics of course to follow.

Cheers,
D.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts

D.
David,

while I can see your point of view and actually agree with it to a certain extent I also feel for the guy who doesn't have shedloads of cash and can only limit himself to maybe a watch a year. Let's call him Bert. Bert maybe wants a vintage rather than a modern and spend donkeys surfing and looking for that gem from madagasgar :)

The Jenny is a classic example. Limited appeal, maybe divers and Doxa nuts. Not many people bidding on it, then someone "advertises" it on the Doxa forum. Suddenly a whole load of people who have far more disposable income and who don't mind going hundreds of dollars over Bert's limit are pawing all over it. Its a nice watch and an "investor" see the potential to snag it and punt it on for a profit. Before you know it, Bert, who thought he might stand a chance gets blown out and someone who never even bothered to look for it but has a big bank account gets it.

OK just one scenario I know and Bert probably never really stood that much of a chance but the less people know about it the bigger chance he stands. Bit like the lottery. 10 tickest sold and you have 1 then, 1:10 chance. 1000 tickets sold and you have 1 then, 1:1000 chance.

Clive Cussler signed one of his books for me with a quote "you will never find it if you don't look for it". Not quite the case in this situation.

If the rules of Watchuseek say no links to live auctions, then I think it should apply to all forums.

Obviously my opinion. Feel free to differ.

Pete

·
Registered
813 Posts

I never knew these rules existed. It all comes down to.......rules are rules, & we must follow them. However, if anyone of us had a watch for sale...we for sure would want everyone and his brother knowing about it. I've always liked the links. When I do find something, I think to myself....Oh I hope nobody sees this but they always do and usually a post is made within the hour. It doesn't bother me at all. Then there's the RULES again:rodekaart.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just beware that the moderators are closely following EVERYTHING that is posted and is quick to edit or even delete a post...o|

·
Registered
492 Posts

David,

while I can see your point of view and actually agree with it to a certain extent I also feel for the guy who doesn't have shedloads of cash and can only limit himself to maybe a watch a year. Let's call him Bert. Bert maybe wants a vintage rather than a modern and spend donkeys surfing and looking for that gem from madagasgar :)

The Jenny is a classic example. Limited appeal, maybe divers and Doxa nuts. Not many people bidding on it, then someone "advertises" it on the Doxa forum. Suddenly a whole load of people who have far more disposable income and who don't mind going hundreds of dollars over Bert's limit are pawing all over it. Its a nice watch and an "investor" see the potential to snag it and punt it on for a profit. Before you know it, Bert, who thought he might stand a chance gets blown out and someone who never even bothered to look for it but has a big bank account gets it.

OK just one scenario I know and Bert probably never really stood that much of a chance but the less people know about it the bigger chance he stands. Bit like the lottery. 10 tickest sold and you have 1 then, 1:10 chance. 1000 tickets sold and you have 1 then, 1:1000 chance.

Clive Cussler signed one of his books for me with a quote "you will never find it if you don't look for it". Not quite the case in this situation.

If the rules of Watchuseek say no links to live auctions, then I think it should apply to all forums.

Pete
Dr Pete
Guess what - my name is Bert. Been on the lookout for the correct Jenny for a while, You can see posts of me asking questions in Vintage section etc. What you have outlined above is exactly what can/will happen. It can be quite dispiriting to see an item with little interest all of a sudden becoming hot property and you just know you can't afford to take on the big guys. It's why you search so carefully in the first place.
Oh well never mind - probably be another one along in a couple of months.:-(
Alasdair (Bert)

·
Registered
1,369 Posts

David,

Pete
Pete, thanks for the reply, valid points as always. I see your angle of a guy strolling in with a fat bank balance and buying up stuff which seems unfair on those searching for bargains - but of course if he saw the thread on the forum he must be given some credit for being savvy enough to visit the Doxa oracle! ;-)

I guess the hardcore buyers know what's for sale and where. IMO eBay is too well known for much bargains to be had - only scenario i can think of is if you logon and happen to be the first to view the undervalued item with a BUY IT NOW (recent 300T reissue scenario) - otherwise it's going to be an open market where supply/demand will set the price. Of course there's also the example of John V having the initiative to contact the seller of the NOS 600 T-Graph and bagging the deal outwith eBay.

Cheers,
D.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
David,

you are right. There have been a few classic cases of people searching and happening to hit on an unbelievable Buy It Now. Heck I missed one of the best SUBs known to man by about 10 seconds at ten past one in the morning one time. Came up and someone beat me to the BIN. Pristine with box and tag and screwdriver. The winner didn't even have the decency to wear a mask and use a gun when he "stole" it :-d But we were there searching and looking when others were sane enough to be in bed. I've managed to get a few very good old SUB movements along the way by searching for obscure watches which I knew had the correct movements. They don't say Doxa on the rotor but a very nice one is powering my rehab SUB as we speak. I'm sure that if I had to made a nice posting of a few live auctions I would never have got the movements and my SUB would still be unwearable. I go by the name Bert too :) My days of plonking down loads of cash for nice watches are over. I'm telling no-one, nuttin....... ha, ha, ha b-)

Happy hunting guys.

Pete

·
Registered
1,901 Posts

D.
Think of it this way (to paraphrase a post from another forum): if you were bidding on a specific item, would you post a link to that live auction, on a forum full of like-minded collectors and enthusiasts.........? :think:

Paul

1 - 20 of 32 Posts