WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 803 Posts

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a follow up to this post, I thought I'd share some before and after shots.

First, an introduction to the subject watch: an unusual steel Poljot in rather poor cosmetic condition, bought for €31/delivered:

collage.jpg

In total, here is what I did:

• Cleaned the case
  • Replaced the crystal
  • Replaced the stem (the original was about 0.5mm too long)
  • Cleaned the movement
  • Gently brushed surface dirt from the dial
  • Polished the hands and indices (some oxidation was impossible to remove)
And here are the results:

Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 14.24.43.jpg

DSC02952.jpg

DSC02959.jpg

Here is the movement before:

s-l1600.jpg

And after:

DSC02917.jpg

DSC02921.jpg

As my watch budget has fallen precipitously in recent months, most of my purchases lately have been relatively cheap pieces in poor condition. I'll use this thread to show some other "before and afters" from time to time. Feel free to share your own.

Spasibo!

DSC02963.jpg

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Excellent job mroatman! Mroatman and I have discussed our techniques for restoring and our sense of satisfaction in doing this sort of restoration. I am constantly restoring Ruhlas. Probably two or three a week, sometimes more. However, I am rarely mindful to take before and after shots!

But here is a Ruhla Resurrection where I did photograph the results.

This is a blue dial Ruhla which had a completely cracked crystal, damaged hour hand, missing stem, crown, half missing movement and missing case back - but, the dial and the watch case itself were in superb condition. How they managed to survive, Heaven knows! But survive it did!

Before
Blue Ruhla Round.JPG

After

I restored the hands using the Tippex Mouse technique, gave it a new crystal, found a donor movement, stem and crown and case back.

It now keeps excellent time and looks like new!
Blue Ruhla Round Restored 1.JPG Blue Ruhla Round Restored 2.JPG

I also have a restored Thiel Ruhla Mickey Mouse pocket watch from the 1930s and a Slava Quartz that I should be able to find photos and post later.

Not all attempts at restoration are so successful. Some watches defy all attempts to restore them!

Sekondtime

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
Nice job, comrade Mroatman. Going by what you say you like to do you must have had a lot of fun.

I assume the difference between the dial color of your before and after pictures is a white balance problem and not the result of some "gentle brushing". If not, I want one of those brushes.

Real good idea for a thread.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
WOW great purchases, and YOU ROCK at cleaning them up!

I love that it's a Moscow Watch Factory movement too! Great piece of history!

Glad it'll live on!

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Here are a couple of Soviets for which I have before and after photos.

Slava Sports Quartz 3056A purchased for $10 including delivery.

Slava Sports Quartz Before.jpg Slava Sports Quartz Before 2.jpg

After

IMGP0002.JPG

A Pobeda from 1955

Before: I remembered half way through cleaning the dial to take a photo for the contact who sold me the watch.

Pobeda 55 - 58 (1).JPG

After

Pobeda 55 - 58 (5).JPG

And finally, another historic East German clockwork restoration project. All East German children knew the Sandmann and so did other East European nations. This clockwork Sandmann arrived with only one arm, no beard, matted hair, dirty clothes and a siezed clockwork movement. How could I leave him like that!

dziadek.png

I had to rebuild a right arm using the left as a model, clean and lubricate the clockwork, make a beard, give him a bath and wash his clothes.

Here is the result in this video:

Sekondtime

1 - 20 of 803 Posts