WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

741 - 760 of 803 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
A week ago I got a tip from a forum friend, and won an auction for a non working, all steel Poljot. Thanks, Ivan!
The seller had a few other cheap parts/repair things, so while waiting I also got this fat Raketa auto.

1.jpg

It is a franken, in case you are wondering. This dial goes with gilded hands and case. I know the chance of finding a lonely gold-plated case is close to zero, so decided to go experimental. I wanted to dechrome something different than Vostok and this big, chunky, fat Raketa seemed like a good contender.
Repairs went well. A wheel with missing teeth, a spring wandering loose, nothing serious. It was running in no time.
Found a set of gilded hands, gave them a new paint+nescafe.
The dial I didn't touch this time. The hour markers, originally gilded, have turned to patinated brass. Figured they will be a good match for the brass case, when it gets some patina. Actually the markers gave me the whole brass idea in the first place.
Dechroming went well too. I'm not a fan of the gloss, so gave it a brushed finish.
Couldn't wait till tomorrow and shoot some cool pics in the light of day. So there we go
2.jpg
3.jpg
6.JPG

Now I can sit and stare at it, waiting for some patina to form.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
A week ago I got a tip from a forum friend, and won an auction for a non working, all steel Poljot. Thanks, Ivan!
The seller had a few other cheap parts/repair things, so while waiting I also got this fat Raketa auto.

View attachment 14864255

It is a franken, in case you are wondering. This dial goes with gilded hands and case. I know the chance of finding a lonely gold-plated case is close to zero, so decided to go experimental. I wanted to dechrome something different than Vostok and this big, chunky, fat Raketa seemed like a good contender.
Repairs went well. A wheel with missing teeth, a spring wandering loose, nothing serious. It was running in no time.
Found a set of gilded hands, gave them a new paint+nescafe.
The dial I didn't touch this time. The hour markers, originally gilded, have turned to patinated brass. Figured they will be a good match for the brass case, when it gets some patina. Actually the markers gave me the whole brass idea in the first place.
Dechroming went well too. I'm not a fan of the gloss, so gave it a brushed finish.
Couldn't wait till tomorrow and shoot some cool pics in the light of day. So there we go
View attachment 14864319
View attachment 14864323
View attachment 14864325

Now I can sit and stare at it, waiting for some patina to form.
I cannot believe it is the same watch!!!! Super 👍

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I cannot believe it is the same watch!!!! Super ��
Thanks, Odessa!
For a $17 watch it's an absolute beast.
1.JPG
2.JPG

There's the Poljot that was the main target. Not much done to it, but it's clean and ... ehm, working.
Decided to keep its original burnt look (that brown was once blue), so didn't even repaint the hands.
Bidding went up to $13 on this one (!?!). This auction cheered me up big time! Best tip ever!
1.jpg
2.JPG

·
Registered
646 Posts
Thanks, Odessa!
For a $17 watch it's an absolute beast.

View attachment 14865709

There's the Poljot that was the main target. Not much done to it, but it's clean and ... ehm, working.
Decided to keep its original burnt look (that brown was once blue), so didn't even repaint the hands.
Bidding went up to $13 on this one (!?!). This auction cheered me up big time! Best tip ever!

View attachment 14865727
Excellent idea to dechrome this Raketa. Great result. I didn't expect the dial to be in such good condition.
The Poljot looks good too. The great thing with buying non working soviet watches is that at least 20% of them actually work !

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Can I get some more info on that reverse panda chrono up front?
Sure, by coincidence I'm wearing it as I type. No miracles there, unfortunately. 3133 was beyond repair, big section fused by rust.
5.JPG
6.JPG

So I had to source a spare movement. Dial damage is still visible. Hour hand was fused to the dial, so that spot is still there too.
9.JPG

Since then I had another go with this
1.jpg
6.JPG

so now I have two of those and tons of practice.
5.JPG

I've swithed cases since that photo, to get the best parts into one presentable watch, and one beater for everyday use. Like cooking leeks and coliflower soup.
000.JPG

Didn't cost me that much cheaper than buying two good watches, but the experience and fun are priceless. Also I have a lot of stuff left. Including a working 3133 minus a broken 4th wheel, and a lot of other spare parts. I'm well prepared for the next 3133 challenge when it happens. Hopefully I'll manage better results.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Can I get some more info on that reverse panda chrono up front?
Sure, by coincidence I'm wearing it as I type. No miracles there, unfortunately. 3133 was beyond repair, big section fused by rust.
View attachment 14882701
View attachment 14882705

So I had to source a spare movement. Dial damage is still visible. Hour hand was fused to the dial, so that spot is still there too.
View attachment 14882713

Since then I had another go with this
View attachment 14882717
View attachment 14882739

so now I have two of those and tons of practice.
View attachment 14882759

I've swithed cases since that photo, to get the best parts into one presentable watch, and one beater for everyday use. Like cooking leeks and coliflower soup.
View attachment 14882771

Didn't cost me that much cheaper than buying two good watches, but the experience and fun are priceless. Also I have a lot of stuff left. Including a working 3133 minus a broken 4th wheel, and a lot of other spare parts. I'm well prepared for the next 3133 challenge when it happens. Hopefully I'll manage better results.
This is great! I am still chicken to try 3133 service. Here and there tuning is Ok but complete service I am scared (no parts, etc). I am actually supposed to pick one 3133 beater tomorrow from the post office. Will see if it is usable or just a collection of parts.... maybe will be a practice 3133 movement for me.
Your results are great!

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
This is great! I am still chicken to try 3133 service. Here and there tuning is Ok but complete service I am scared (no parts, etc). I am actually supposed to pick one 3133 beater tomorrow from the post office. Will see if it is usable or just a collection of parts.... maybe will be a practice 3133 movement for me.
Your results are great!
Thanks, Odessa! 3133 is a lot of fun, as I was getting a bit bored with most other soviet movements. It can be very frustrating at times, and expensive parts don't make it better (I can't spend $40-$50 on one 4th wheel).
I had a lot of help and support from the forum, and notably from EndeavourDK and Matt Brace.
I wish you good luck! You can post some pics here when you get it, 3133 are always interesting projects.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Thanks, Odessa! 3133 is a lot of fun, as I was getting a bit bored with most other soviet movements. It can be very frustrating at times, and expensive parts don't make it better (I can't spend $40-$50 on one 4th wheel).
I had a lot of help and support from the forum, and notably from EndeavourDK and Matt Brace.
I wish you good luck! You can post some pics here when you get it, 3133 are always interesting projects.
Fantastic results Ivan :-!

Than to think all done by "snap-on" exchangeable thumb-bits :-d

I'm getting envious and you deserve a BIG thumbs-up |>

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Here is an After project that looked better Before. Or did it? As posted before, I got a Poljot from the 60s in the wrong case and broken Seconds hand and wrong crown. As it turned out, the seller not just sells Frankens, he also Photoshops the dials. Not buying from him ever again. Then I got a donor with the good case and the good seconds hand. I was hoping this would be enough to build 1 watch but the donor had a really bad crystal (with a hole). So had to by a crystal. Here you can see the photoshopped Before, the case donor and the end results.

This is what was done:
Case from the donor, new crystal, different crown from my spares, second hand had the pip done with the vintage lume and green paint, new vintage stap. I got the franken because of the pristine dial.... that was a lie. As you can see the dial is Ok but not perfect. Overall I had spent about 30$ and quite happy with the end result. Tell me if this was worth the trouble....
And, btw, the movement is ticking strong!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Excellent! It looks much better, because that's the way it was meant to look like! Another great work from you, and another vintage restored to it's original look.
Now you have a good shape Vostok gold-plated case :think: I sense part II of this project :)

Oh, excellent strap choice too!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Excellent! It looks much better, because that's the way it was meant to look like! Another great work from you, and another vintage restored to it's original look.
Now you have a good shape Vostok gold-plated case
I sense part II of this project

Oh, excellent strap choice too!
I do have that case. Just need to figure out what watch it is from! 🙂

Thanks for the kind words!

·
Registered
665 Posts
I do have that case. Just need to figure out what watch it is from! ��

Very nice work as usual. On the watch do you think the second hand is meant to be a "satellite" ( a subtle Sputnik reference) or is it more of a design choice to go along with the luminescence by the batons?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts

Very nice work as usual. On the watch do you think the second hand is meant to be a "satellite" or is it more of a design choice to go along with the luminescence on the batons?
Hard to tell. This think just a design in this case. Although the watch was made around big achievements in the Soviet space program.... so maybe on a subconscious levels design was influenced but it.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
... As it turned out, the seller not just sells Frankens, he also Photoshops the dials. Not buying from him ever again...
There are some sellers who are just so lazy (or just as likely duplicitous) they don't think it is a problem to put photos of the actual product they are selling. They think it is ok to use a generic photo of a particular style of watch and then send one very similar but in very poor condition.

But, it looks as though you have made the best of a bad deal. Well done Odessa200! I also approve of the strap choice!

Sekondtime

·
Registered
191 Posts

If the case fits 2234 movement, you can assemble a Komandirskie. If it fits a 2209 only, look at Каталог часов, 1983 - Союззагранприбор.pdf you know where, at ???????? ????? ???? ? 1934 ???? | ussr-watch.com. There are some expamples of Vostoks with the case.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts

If the case fits 2234 movement, you can assemble a Komandirskie. If it fits a 2209 only, look at Каталог часов, 1983 - Союззагранприбор.pdf you know where, at ???????? ????? ???? ? 1934 ???? | ussr-watch.com. There are some expamples of Vostoks with the case.
Will do. Or will sell. Given I am only interested in the authentic watches even if I have a movement I will need a dial and hands and crown.... who knows, maybe one day I will find a good watch with the same case but damaged.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Hi all,

Here's my attempt for restoration of this very rare dial:

First I tried rust-remover, very gently and slow, with ear-stick:

Then with a dilute Meglio (fat cleaner), very quickly (10-15 seconds on an area). Unfortunately 'Made in USSR' has gone (it was almost gone already):

But I was afraid to use Meglio in the center of the dial (to remove the scratch from the hours hand), so again with rust-remover:

And at the end, in the watch:

Regards, Miro.

741 - 760 of 803 Posts