761 - 780 of 803 Posts

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Huge difference. Nice job!

Hi all,

Here's my attempt for restoration of this very rare dial:

First I tried rust-remover, very gently and slow, with ear-stick:

Then with a dilute Meglio (fat cleaner), very quickly (10-15 seconds on an area). Unfortunately 'Made in USSR':

But I was afraid to use Meglio in the center of the dial (to remove the scratch from the hours hand), so again with rust-remover:

And at the end, in the watch:

Regards, Miro.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
One question for the experts and aesthetes: is reluming a vintage watch that needs it fair and normal maintenance or is it transforming it?
Actually two questions: if it's considered fair maintenance, is using vintage-coloured lume fair as well or could white lume (or of whatever colour was used originally) be used?

·
Registered
189 Posts
My opinion; don't touch it unless the lume fell out of hands. Getting the right colour to match the patina is a job for skilled professionals. To me, badly relumed watches have less value than no lume at all. That being said, i've never seen a decently relumed Vostok.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Agree, such relumed Vostoks often look like a car from the 70s with installed bi-xenon headlight instead of halogen lamps.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
My opinion; don't touch it unless the lume fell out of hands. Getting the right colour to match the patina is a job for skilled professionals. To me, badly relumed watches have less value than no lume at all. That being said, i've never seen a decently relumed Vostok.
All with DIY (colored lume to match the dial dots) relumed hands; if you count these as "decent", then you've now seen some ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Been quiet here, since ... Roland, more than a month ago, so let's give it a bump.
Bought a couple of watches for restoration this Sunday, so there's the first one
2.jpg

after some love and attention
1.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG

Vostok is not all military and macho. there are some real elegant gems in their catalogue.
Ivan

·
Registered
1,434 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Good to see you Ivan, nice job on the Vostok.

Cheers...
Thanks, Matt! So good to see you around, sir!
Actually you are a part of this next restoration! The crown/stem is a gift from you that I received in Nomad's goody bag :)
Haven't been playing with watches for so long, that when I received two restorations this morning, I couldn't resist the temptation. Managed to draw and prepare two contract offers, ...aaand work on both watches in the breaks.
The second one is a non working amfibia for something like $6.
2.jpg

The condition of this fella was really bad. Took a lot of cleaning and repairs (broken ballance, missing wheels in keyless works, etc.)
The good thing is I happened to have a better condition original dial for this model. Never expected I will actually have the opportunity to use it.
3.JPG
4.JPG

So there we go
1.JPG
6.JPG
5.JPG

Not that it matters much, but it's been keeping a good time.
What a day!

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Been quiet here, since ... Roland, more than a month ago, so let's give it a bump.
Bought a couple of watches for restoration this Sunday, so there's the first one
View attachment 15178803

after some love and attention
View attachment 15178807
View attachment 15178809
View attachment 15178811

Vostok is not all military and macho. there are some real elegant gems in their catalogue.
Ivan
Nice to see you back and restoring once again. Good job on the Wostok. I am hoping you will give me some inspiration to tackle my mountain of spares/repairs Ruhlas and Russians!

Sekondtime

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Now there's something you don't see every day - a red display digital BULETRONIC. The only bulgarian watch brand, produced for a short period of time at the end of the 70s, beginning of the 80s. About 10 different models were made, this one is M10 CH, whatever that means.
I've been looking for one for nostalgic reasons, so today I was given a non working one, to see if it can be saved.
Heavily oxidated, but with the right materials magic can happen. Enjoy!
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
7.JPG
6.JPG
1.JPG

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Now there's something you don't see every day - a red display digital BULETRONIC. The only bulgarian watch brand, produced for a short period of time at the end of the 70s, beginning of the 80s. About 10 different models were made, this one is M10 CH, whatever that means.
I've been looking for one for nostalgic reasons, so today I was given a non working one, to see if it can be saved.
Now that's some pure Soviet Bloc sexiness right there :-!

Keep up the great work :)

·
Registered
665 Posts
/QUOTE]

Wonderful that you were able to get it going again; I probably would have electrocuted myself as soon as I opened it! :)

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Nice model and resurrection job !
I also found a Buletronic while you were taking a break.
Didn't have time to start working on it though.
Thanks, my friend! Very nice one you got there! This is the best model on the Buletronic line - all stainless steel (excl. buttons), 20mm. lugs. I have both versions, grey and black, one is signed "XII congress of the Bulgarian Communist Party 1981". It was given to the delegates. It's quite a story, I posted it waay back in this thread. Wish you good luck with it, it's a very nice looking watch! Well worth restoring.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Thanks, my friend! Very nice one you got there! This is the best model on the Buletronic line - all stainless steel (excl. buttons), 20mm. lugs. I have both versions, grey and black, one is signed "XII congress of the Bulgarian Communist Party 1981". It was given to the delegates. It's quite a story, I posted it waay back in this thread. Wish you good luck with it, it's a very nice looking watch! Well worth restoring.
Then I guess we're both fellow delegates now b-)

DSC01908-ModifierWeb.jpg

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Then I guess we're both fellow delegates now b-)
Ha, yeah, that's the one! Looking forward to it, hope you get no issues. If I set mine at exactly the same time, in 2-3 months they are 2min. apart. One is a minute fast, the other a minute slow. I figured if I wear them together, like Fidel, I will always have the correct time right in the middle.

761 - 780 of 803 Posts