WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

The moment is approaching (not so fast I want..), so I have a few questions about some "good to know" things before taking the watch home from the store.
I ordered a classic Navi, black dial with indexes, black leather strap with buckle. The most classic still sold, to my mind. The watch was exposed in the window of a store in Munich.
I noticed that the strap shows some signs of wearing at the position where the buckle is pressing the other part of the strap - coming from the people that tried it in the past. So far, that's all what I could see, no visible scratches or other signs.
After I phoned them, I was told that they will put in the vault, no window exposure anymore, so no possible damages.
No possibility to wait for a brand new one, due to lead time delivery - it'll be next year only, and it's not convenient for me, as next year I don't get back the VAT anymore.
So, the questions:
1) what are the papers that need to be on the box? Maybe some pictures with each could be useful. I'm asking this, because there's maybe some variations, depending on the model and production year.
One particular point is for the registration card. I noticed some discussions on this topic that some ADs are sending by themselves the registration card, in that case, I wouldn't get any gift. Is that so? And in my case - watch bought from Munich, me living in Romania - will I benefit of this service, even if I'm sending the card myself?
2) which checks can I make at the AD, to ensure the watch is "like out of the box". I'm particularly thinking at:
- check the functions/buttons of the chronograph
- check the crystal for scratches - with a magnifying glass?? Am I "sick" if doing so :think: ? same check for the body. Did anybody make something like that before?
- should I bother that the strap is not as new? Maybe ask them to put me a brand new one?
- because I'm flying via Munich home, I cannot check for the watch accuracy. I'm thinking to organize my trip differently, so that I have 1-2 days to observe it. Is it worth? This is more a rhetorical question, but maybe you have some ideas or opinions.
3) Should I check with the AD the manufacturing date, so to have a clue how long did it stayed in the window and not "ticking"? This can be found out from the serial number, right?
4) What are the issues for which I should refuse the watch? What are the ones that can be neglected? I'm trying to avoid any later service, even during the warranty, due to complexity to send the watch to the service, repairing time etc.
5) Anything that I missed here?

I'm thinking that with all these points here clarified, it can be maybe saved as a "sticky" post, for all newbies having the same concerns.

Thanks a lot for your answers. I know it's a long post, but your opinions are highly appreciated :-!
Cristi

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
CMa,

A Breitling is a big investment, so I can understand your concern, but if you are buying a new watch with just 'window time' I'm sure that with the quality of watch you are buying you have little to worry about but I'll let the experts answer your queries individually.

As an sort of answer to your 'what paperwork I should get' question I'll re-post a pic I took for someone else who asked the question some time ago. This is the package that comes with a B-1 so there may be some minor differences but any excuse to post a pic!

I hope the big day comes soon and you enjoy the whole process. Try not to worry, it's supposed to be fun.:-!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
CMa,

A Breitling is a big investment, so I can understand your concern, but if you are buying a new watch with just 'window time' I'm sure that with the quality of watch you are buying you have little to worry about but I'll let the experts answer your queries individually.

As an sort of answer to your 'what paperwork I should get' question I'll re-post a pic I took for someone else who asked the question some time ago. This is the package that comes with a B-1 so there may be some minor differences but any excuse to post a pic!

I hope the big day comes soon and you enjoy the whole process. Try not to worry, it's supposed to be fun.:-!
1- Remember the New watch wil have a 2 year warranty so you should be covered for any problems, including fading of the dial.

2- My humble suggestion, ask them to trade the standard strap/buckle for a Deployant/strap. The swap should only cost an extra $160usd but it will be less wear on the strap. I also find the deplyant more comfortable and cooler looking.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1- Remember the New watch wil have a 2 year warranty so you should be covered for any problems, including fading of the dial.
Correct, but I'm trying to avoid sending it for repair so quickly in case I'm missing an issue. It will be complicated.

2- My humble suggestion, ask them to trade the standard strap/buckle for a Deployant/strap. The swap should only cost an extra $160usd but it will be less wear on the strap. I also find the deplyant more comfortable and cooler looking.
I'm also considering buying another leather strap with the clasp, and the B strap will go into the box. I found some brands here. Would it be a good idea? I guess it'll be cheaper than the B one, so I can replace it w/o problems when worn out.
I thought initially to take the bracelet, but I keep this for a next investment, even if I know that buying it separately is more expensive. But the difference is not so high anyway.
The truth is I like (now) more the leather strap, it gives a "lift" to the watch case itself. With the bracelet, the watch will look differently, and perhaps will be "eclipsed" by the bracelets' bling.
With the deployant clasp, I can take it off/on more easily, w/o the strap looking "old" after a short while. But still, perspiration or water actions are still there ..

Cristi

·
Registered
193 Posts
Congratulations ! You have picked one of the most beautiful time pieces in the world that has a 54 year old history behind.

Here are my thoughts..

I would definitely ask for a strap replacement if the current one is worn out because you are paying the price for a brand new watch, why settle for less?

I would carefully check the case for any damages or scratches and if there are any major scratches I wouldn't buy the watch OR ask for an additional discount. Again, you are paying for a brand new watch.

I don't think the AD would know the date of production of the watch, but you wouldn't lose anything by asking.

I would get the bracelet with the watch because it would be cheaper than getting it seperately, and there is a big difference on the price ( it depends on the % of your discount on the watch).

In any case the Navitimer is a beautiful watch, I am sure you will enjoy it and cherish it for many many years.

Good luck with your purchasing process. :-!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm also considering buying another leather strap with the clasp, and the B strap will go into the box. I found some brands here. Would it be a good idea? I guess it'll be cheaper than the B one, so I can replace it w/o problems when worn out.
I thought initially to take the bracelet, but I keep this for a next investment, even if I know that buying it separately is more expensive. But the difference is not so high anyway.
The truth is I like (now) more the leather strap, it gives a "lift" to the watch case itself. With the bracelet, the watch will look differently, and perhaps will be "eclipsed" by the bracelets' bling.
With the deployant clasp, I can take it off/on more easily, w/o the strap looking "old" after a short while. But still, perspiration or water actions are still there ..

Cristi
Oh, another idea crossed my mind: if I'm taking a B strap with deployment clasp now, then after the strap wears out, can I remove the clasp from the old bracelet and mount it on another strap (a new one, maybe not necessarily a B)? This will ensure a permanent strap renewal + the genuine B clasp -> this is a "best case" for me.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Oh, another idea crossed my mind: if I'm taking a B strap with deployment clasp now, then after the strap wears out, can I remove the clasp from the old bracelet and mount it on another strap (a new one, maybe not necessarily a B)? This will ensure a permanent strap renewal + the genuine B clasp -> this is a "best case" for me.
As long as the size of the strap is the same, this can be done. Non Breitling straps might be a bit more difficult as not only the width but also the thickness of the strap is important for a good fitting.

Kind regards,

Cinq

·
Registered
5 Posts
Many watches in stores are copied.You can't imagine how underground production is stronge.Not only the watch but the papiers any kind are very easy to copy or in many cases to offer you stolen and genuine one.
J wish you luck my Romanian brother.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Many watches in stores are copied.You can't imagine how underground production is stronge.Not only the watch but the papiers any kind are very easy to copy or in many cases to offer you stolen and genuine one.
J wish you luck my Romanian brother.
Hi,
Nice to meet you :)
Maybe you misunderstood me, I am buying a genuine Navi + maybe a strap with deployment clasp from an authorized dealer. The issue is with the strap that wears out due to perspiration. So I'm trying to find some solutions to replace the strap (more or less, all straps are the same), but keeping the nice clasp with the Breitling logo.
I'm not a fan of any fake, including watches.
BTW, I just returned from Shanghai this week and I could have bought 1000 fake Breitlings for the price of a genuine. But I'm not wanting it with any price, but with the "correct price".
'Course I've been there to an AD, but I could notice that the prices are ~20% higher that in Europe. At this amount, they shortly made me a discount of 20% - this is China, nothing is fixed, everything is negotiable.

Cheers,
Cristi

P.S. Which is your "given name" ? "DRAGAN" cannot be :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As long as the size of the strap is the same, this can be done. Non Breitling straps might be a bit more difficult as not only the width but also the thickness of the strap is important for a good fitting.

Kind regards,

Cinq
Hi Cinq,

That's a very good news !
And I presume can do this operation myself.

Thanks |>
Cristi

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Hi Cristi,
That's a very good news !
And I presume can do this operation myself.
Check out the thread from Martin about straps, he has found some that look a lot like Breitling but at a fraction of the cost...

Kind regards,

Cinq

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Cristi,Check out the thread from Martin about straps, he has found some that look a lot like Breitling but at a fraction of the cost...

Kind regards,

Cinq
Actually, I'm decided: order a folding clasp from Breitling.
As I could imagine, straps for a usual buckle are different than the ones designed for folding clasps.
I'll try to see with the AD to change the existing strap and order a new one to fit with the folding clasp, and this shall normally be for free.

One more thing: is the folding clasp more secure than the buckle? Does the folding claps offer maybe a double locking system, or not? If not, it seems to me a little bit less secured.

:thanks

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Hi Cristi,
One more thing: is the folding clasp more secure than the buckle? Does the folding claps offer maybe a double locking system, or not? If not, it seems to me a little bit less secured.
With the folding clasp, the risk of dropping the watch is greatly reduced because it's a closed circle. You just put it around your arm and close the clasp. Even if the folding clasp opens, the watch would not fall off your arm because of this. So it is in fact more secure than a buckle :-!

Kind regards,

Cinq

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Actually, I'm decided: order a folding clasp from Breitling.
As I could imagine, straps for a usual buckle are different than the ones designed for folding clasps.
I'll try to see with the AD to change the existing strap and order a new one to fit with the folding clasp, and this shall normally be for free.

:thanks
I have never had a Breitling folding clasp open unintentionally
I have had after market clasps open accidentally though, but again because they were deployant the watch was still secure on my wrist.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Hi Cristi.j Understud You Now.dragan Is My Given Name.why Do You Ask?dragan Is A Serbian Name.see You.
Oh, excuse me then. In Romania, "Dragan" is generally the family name. So, my friend, we have a lot in common, but some differences too :-D

Cheers,
Cristi

·
Registered
38 Posts
One particular point is for the registration card. I noticed some discussions on this topic that some ADs are sending by themselves the registration card, in that case, I wouldn't get any gift.
From previous postings I have read here, the "gift" is only provided by Breitling USA; you won't get any gifts when you buy from a non-US dealer.

(This is only based on what I have read - my 3 Breitlings were all purchased secondhand).
--
Philip

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
From previous postings I have read here, the "gift" is only provided by Breitling USA; you won't get any gifts when you buy from a non-US dealer.

(This is only based on what I have read - my 3 Breitlings were all purchased secondhand).
--
Philip
You're right, Philip !:-| Gifts are offered only to US buyers.
This AD in Germany, they don't even have yet the 2007 Chronologs..
I think Breitling could change a little bit their strategy for non-US continents.
Thanks for this reminder, otherwise I would have expected something in vain.

Cristi

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is wonderfull Cristi.What differences you mean on?
Cheers.
Dragan
I was referring to the similarities and differences about the names. There are many other.
But let's focus on what is gathering us together here: passion for watches :)

Cristi

1 - 20 of 20 Posts