WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

wondering what you would consider to be the bare minimum as far as quality and type of tools needed to begin some humble modding, minimal- to no-tinkering within movements, and basic upkeep of my growing collection? I've already started purchasing some used watches with minor cosmetic defects, and some pieces that I'd like to begin swapping hands, dials, crystals, etc. Is it advisable to check-out with my cart-full of Chinese tools from Mr. Bezos' fine establishment, or are there certain tools that you would recommend that I get from somewhere specific or steer away from the somewhat disposable-seeming things I'm about to click Buy Now on? Thanks!

·
Registered
550 Posts
I had no problem modding seikos with basic amazon tools - but I would recommend a good quality crystal press, that was the one tool that I had issues with and wished I had gone with something of higher quality.

·
Premium Member
42,616 Posts
You get what you pay for in watch tools, so if you get the cheap Chinese stuff, don't expect much, IMHO......

·
Premium Member
Silicone Valley, California
4,303 Posts
Ditto from my experience. You get what you pay for.

If your crystal press won't break your foot from a waist-high fall, it's not a crystal press.

·
Premium Member
35,565 Posts
Hello all,

wondering what you would consider to be the bare minimum as far as quality and type of tools needed to begin some humble modding, minimal- to no-tinkering within movements, and basic upkeep of my growing collection? I've already started purchasing some used watches with minor cosmetic defects, and some pieces that I'd like to begin swapping hands, dials, crystals, etc. Is it advisable to check-out with my cart-full of Chinese tools from Mr. Bezos' fine establishment, or are there certain tools that you would recommend that I get from somewhere specific or steer away from the somewhat disposable-seeming things I'm about to click Buy Now on? Thanks!
What are the tools in your cart?

For starters, you will need to buy:
1) the little zipper bag with screwdrivers, tweezers, case block, bracelet sizing tool, case-back opening tool, etc.
2) Rolex style case back opening tool
3) spring bar tool
4) hands removal, setting tool
5) crystal press
6) good loupe
7) desk lamp
8) movement holder
9) bag of spare rubber seals
10) finger cots
11) dial protector for use with hands remover

·
Registered
31 Posts
What are the tools in your cart?

For starters, you will need to buy:
1) the little zipper bag with screwdrivers, tweezers, case block, bracelet sizing tool, case-back opening tool, etc.
2) Rolex style case back opening tool
3) spring bar tool
4) hands removal, setting tool
5) crystal press
6) good loupe
7) desk lamp
8) movement holder
9) bag of spare rubber seals
10) finger cots
11) dial protector for use with hands remover
multi-magnifier lighted head set in addition to loupe---> i have this one Amazon.com: Dicfeos Headband Magnifier with LED Light, Head Mounted Magnifying Glasses for Close Work, 5 Clear Magnifying Lenses : Health & Household

·
Premium Member
35,565 Posts
That's nice!

Do you have the little tool kit referenced in my list, item 1? That's the bare minimum basic everyone starts with.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's nice!

Do you have the little tool kit referenced in my list, item 1? That's the bare minimum basic everyone starts with.

Haha, yeah that's item one in my cart, followed by the first-to-come-up-when-you-search sets of hand removers and setters, one of those rocket shaped air blowers, chunk of rodico, a demagnetizer, as well as the common blue caseback press that I'm seeing mixed reviews for across the forum when used as a crystal press. You would suggest an upgrade from the common cheap loupes I guess?

·
Premium Member
35,565 Posts
Haha, yeah that's item one in my cart, followed by the first-to-come-up-when-you-search sets of hand removers and setters, one of those rocket shaped air blowers, chunk of rodico, a demagnetizer, as well as the common blue caseback press that I'm seeing mixed reviews for across the forum when used as a crystal press. You would suggest an upgrade from the common cheap loupes I guess?
Well, a good pair of magnifiers definitely helps but if you’re not working on movements now, then the basic loupe should suffice.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Cheap told last a little while, maybe longer with great care... But good tools will last a long time, and longer with good care... But that's just what I hear

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
I’m in the same boat and trying to figure out if I want to get the hand setters that look like pens or the one that is more like a press? Any opinions on either?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I’m in the same boat and trying to figure out if I want to get the hand setters that look like pens or the one that is more like a press? Any opinions on either?
I've serviced a few dozen watches with just a decent set of handheld pressers.

·
Registered
Seiko, Orient, Aragon, Deep Blue, Bulova, Swatch, Gruen Pocket Watch, Illinois Pocket Watch, Vostok
3,163 Posts
My cheap crystal press works fine overall.

But I would like to buy a higher quality press because I know it would feel better, look better and more importantly work better.

Sent from my toilet using Kakatalk. Flushed with only a single wipe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts