WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I welcome the red Beihai 3.0 into my collection, and want to share it with you, because I know you folks don't need an explanation on why it's a good watch.

Beihai3_Standing.jpg

Just what red is it? Different light, different angles yield a different shade of red. Red is notoriously difficult for camera sensors and electronics (and who knows what our screens are doing). I could see a bright red on good-stuffs, and liked it, but I couldn't be 100% sure that it was depicting the watch's true colour. Secretly I was hoping for a classic China red, as seen on Chinese doors and envelopes and millions of things.

I unboxed the watch in subdued light, and saw a deep reddish black. In daylight and at different angles I saw pinkish red, crimson red, red red, scarlet...the thing was going beserk. All this from a guy who is red-challenged.

Beihai3_DialDetail1.jpg

Beihai3_DialDetail2.jpg

See what I mean? Same good Nikon camera, moments apart, different angle. I think it's beautiful. The crystal is quite reflective - but it's no issue. Telling the time is much easier than photography.

I know I know, I don't like the date window either. But it's small, and will probably encourage me to wear it more often instead of hiding it in a box.

The shape of the case and lugs, and the 38mm size drew me to the Beihai years ago. I now have two watches with this lovely shape.

Beihai3_Held_9th.jpg

As usual the rear is nice, displaying good etching on the 3/4 plate, and stating it's the B18 movement - I don't know if they've added a date complication, or if it's always there and just concealed on other watches.

Beihai3_Rear3.jpg

On the down side, as with my Beihai Ltd Ed, I feel like these watches are somewhat delicate. Interacting with the winding stem just makes me nervous. On pulling the stem, there's no nice positive click-click that you get with other watches. On this one, changing date feels like you're doing something really unpleasant to the movement. It feels like something is crunching, not in a good way, and the stem is gently scraping something. And when resetting the crown, the minute hand jumps quite a few minutes. (I was date setting around 6 o'clock, surely the safest position).

Does anybody else get these issues with their B18 watches? I now have two, and it gives the impression the watchmaker is barely keeping the thing together, and as long as it looks OK, then its OK. Now, quickly case it up before it explodes apart. (I am exaggerating of course. Or am I?)

The elephant in the room is to compare the Beihai 3 to the Celadon Imperial for value. Don't. They share a lot of hardware, but with quality assurance, owners' community, and connection to the head man, the Celadon's higher price represents value that a standard factory Beihai cannot attain. Plus no annoying date window on monsierxu's watches.

I'm excited about this watch. I'm keen to try different straps- the stock one is good quality, I just don't wear leather well.

Beihai3_StrapEmboss.jpg

As usual, nice buckle detail.

buckle.jpg

No responsibility taken for enabling.

-Greg.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
The elephant in the room is to compare the Beihai 3 to the Celadon Imperial for value. Don't. They share a lot of hardware, but with quality assurance, owners' community, and connection to the head man, the Celadon's higher price represents value that a standard factory Beihai cannot attain. Plus no annoying date window on monsierxu's watches.

A very interesting perspective! I have the Imperial, but have not handled a Beihai 3.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Nice shots mate. I have a blue 3.0 on the way. Never handled a Beihai before, but was always contemplating one. I do also have a Beijing Zhufeng Everest (first edition) which sports the same nice movement.

The looks of the 3.0 (except for that date window, indeed) are very appealing; lovely mesmerizing textured dial. The red looks truly cool and different in every picture. Also the price of this red one on good-stuffs surprised me. Very fair indeed. For my blue one I had to pay substantially more, but at least I got it ordered directly from the BJWAF store. Will update with thought and pics once i have it in hands...

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does it come in black ?

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using Tapatalk
In plum blossom, I'm aware only of the white, and the - perhaps harder to come by - blue dial Beihai.

The nearest I can find in black is this handsome automatic with the same hands and logo.

There was a black handwinder with arabic 12 and 6, and maybe a black enamel dial, I think in a case like the Beihai, but it has dropped off the few sites I occasionally peruse. I saw it just a week ago! Maybe someone else knows which watch I mean.

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
In plum blossom, I'm aware only of the white, and the - perhaps harder to come by - blue dial Beihai.

The nearest I can find in black is this handsome automatic with the same hands and logo.

There was a black handwinder with arabic 12 and 6, and maybe a black enamel dial, I think in a case like the Beihai, but it has dropped off the few sites I occasionally peruse. I saw it just a week ago! Maybe someone else knows which watch I mean.

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600.jpg

http://stores.ebay.com/Flug-Philippe/Morden-Chinese-Watches-/_i.html?_fsub=7219490014

Not a fan of the black dials myself. Sort of a mil. look about them :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts