WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For some better pictures check out this guy's thread:
CHINA WATCHES :: Zobacz temat - Retro Beijing Watch - ZunGu

I just got my Beijing Zungu-6 (6 because it has a seconds subdial at 6 I assume. Zungu-3 has a date at 3 o'clock).

Some basic specs:
40 x 46mm x 10 mm (w/o crown)
"Premium" stainless steel case (I guess just the usual 316l)
Push-pull crown
3 ATM water resistance
Domed sapphire crystal
SS bracelet w/ deployment clasp (20 mm lug width)

It came in a bright red watch box w/ their Tiananmen logo.
box.jpg

Came with the usual protective plastic on the dial, bracelet and crown. I removed it all before I took any of these pictures, except the plastic on the crown. That one is difficult.

in_box.jpg

The dial is a beautiful silver-gray (as Jun Laio calls it) with a sunburst finish. The seconds subdial has a guilloche like finish. Nice applied markers and logo, with lume dots and lumed hands. What I really like about the hands is how they extend all the way to their respective markers.

face.jpg

It has a display caseback which I had a hard time capturing. For a better view of the movement, check out the thread I linked at the top. The movement is nicely decorated - some geneva stripes and of course blue screws! The movement is a SA1000B6P, 22-jewels and advertised as -10 to +25 seconds/day. I could not find anymore information about it though.

back.jpg

The bracelet is one of my favorite parts about the watch. It's unique looking and well finished. The brushing along the center of the links is very even and fine. It has solid links w/ split pins, solid end links and a deployment clasp. Unfortunately it does not have any half links or micro-adjustments so you may not find a good fit with the bracelet. It's signed at the clasp area and tapers down to 18mm.
bracelet.jpg

side_back.jpg

Overall I'm extremely happy with this purchase! Additionally Jun Liao was quick with communication and allowed me to upgrade to EMS for only $5 more (arriving in less than a week). It also comes with a 12 month warranty.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Great looking watch! Someday, I'm going to have to get me something from the BWAF...

·
Moderator: F72 and F71
8,169 Posts
I think the Beijing Zungu-6 is the very nicest design in Beijing's affordable range and I have one fairly high on my target list just because it's so classy. The radiant silver dial and subtle sub-dial at 6 give this watch an ageless appearance and my initial expectation was that it would be much more expensive than it is.

Super catch and I'm jealous. :)

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all, and for introducing me to Liaio and BWAF.

Some updates on the movement. The rotor is a little noisy and the feels a little gritty when winding the movement. It seems to be extremely accurate though. The first day I got -7 to +7 seconds a day... it seemed to switch from running fast to slow halfway, possible due to positional variance - although I felt like I left it face up the whole time. Anyway, after that it's been running -1 to 0 seconds a day; amazing! Again it's possibly due to positional variance (was on wrist and face up in case) and cancelling out the gains and losses but I'm ok with that :).

Any other info about the origin of the movement or if it's based on anything would be great.

·
Banned
8,921 Posts

Some updates on the movement. The rotor is a little noisy and the feels a little gritty when winding the movement. It seems to be extremely accurate though. The first day I got -7 to +7 seconds a day... it seemed to switch from running fast to slow halfway, possible due to positional variance - although I felt like I left it face up the whole time. Anyway, after that it's been running -1 to 0 seconds a day; amazing! Again it's possibly due to positional variance (was on wrist and face up in case) and cancelling out the gains and losses but I'm ok with that :).

Any other info about the origin of the movement or if it's based on anything would be great.
This Beijing movement appears to be it's own Miyota 'inspired' calibre. It shares that distinction with the Dixmont-Gangzhou and Nanning calibers which are also Miyota clones.
This Beijing looks to be much better finished than either the DG or NN offerings and definitely a couple of steps up from the Miyota :)

If it has been assembled and oiled half as well as it looks, then you should be able to expect several decades of service from it.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Mine turned up yesterday, both (according to paypal) posted 12th. yet the Shanghai arrived 20th. Biejing 23rd. (posted in UK...odd ? )
BILD0165.JPG
Very impressed !!!!
T2El4aXmpbXXXXXXXX_!!34743490.jpg
and it has lume too.
May have to change to a strap as very 'shiney silver', but the braclet is amazing, fits my 7"wrist perfect, yet there are 1" knockouts both sides.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
May have to change to a strap as very 'shiney silver', but the braclet is amazing, fits my 7"wrist perfect, yet there are 1" knockouts both sides.
Have you decided on a strap? I ordered light brown strapto try but the seller sent me the wrong one so I'm looking again. I jusr choose brown cause I always liked brown straps but I am not sure how well it'd go with the silver dial.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Have you decided on a strap? I ordered light brown strapto try but the seller sent me the wrong one so I'm looking again. I jusr choose brown cause I always liked brown straps but I am not sure how well it'd go with the silver dial.
If the bracelet wasn't so good it would have been swapped before wearing as far...far to much shiny silver .
Usually I try to match a colour , such as markings or hand. Bit short on this retro so probably go for something to add a bit of spice , such as deep red/brown. Already have an eye on some but of late a bit cash strapped :(

Please post pics. interested to see yours, cheers mate.

Lovely, well made watch though. One of my most accurate btw

edit...

LGIM0049 (2).jpg

To give an idea. To me the bown would look dead, whereas the red/brown would add zing. Just imo

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I agree with the red brown vs. brown comparison. The one I had tried to order was brown croc with some red tint, but instead I got something more red (and wild alligator grain apparently). I seem to be picky with red/brown and can't find the right combination of both. It also doesn't help that the stock photos don't always match what it looks like in person.
Anyway, I am sending it back soon and hopefully get the right one later this week and see how it is, and take pictures then.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
BILD0252.JPG BILD0253.JPG BILD0254.JPG
Just playing.
Looks OK on the rust leather, but suprisingly better on the JB....hmmm

Had to use a very small screwdriver for the springbars, because of the bracelet slots.

edit... forgot to say tried against the Strela's strap and looks ace. Also the R7's dark green strap looks good too.
Left on the JB 2 piece for the time being as quite like it. Wrong I know for a dress watch but, well...

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ya it doesn't look bad on straps like that. I had been eying a combo like that after I saw the natos on dress/vintage watch thread, where I see you also posted it :D. Any pics of it on the Strela's strap?

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Sorry mate, only offered up the Strela's , it's scrunched up (20mm in 19 lugs) not coming off as a puuurfect fit ;)
What was a suprise is that a brown doesn't look right , the pics. are poor btw as low light.

·
Registered
7 Posts

How is the watch running now?
I'm waiting rather impatiently as it is arriving in a few via Airmail.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im over China now and don't have it with me or my laptop :(, but from what i remember it has been consistent with timekeeping.
Look forward to pics of yours!

Sent from my other timekeeping device.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Wow really nice. Is it possible to buy this watch outside taobao and if yes please could someone share a shop link?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

1 - 20 of 122 Posts