WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Longtime lurker here. I appreciate all of the great info this forum provides!

I recently picked up this Benrus Sky Chief & have a few questions. Does anyone know if the bracelet pictured is original to this watch? The back of the bracelet states " Pat 515.817; Stainless Springs; BMC." Second, I have no idea regarding the history of the watch but it does keep time accurately. Am I ok to continue wearing the watch without having it serviced? I intend to put a vintage leather band on it tomorrow. Any other recommendations y'all have for this watch? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Longtime lurker here. I appreciate all of the great info this forum provides!

I recently picked up this Benrus Sky Chief & have a few questions. Does anyone know if the bracelet pictured is original to this watch? The back of the bracelet states " Pat 515.817; Stainless Springs; BMC." Second, I have no idea regarding the history of the watch but it does keep time accurately. Am I ok to continue wearing the watch without having it serviced? I intend to put a vintage leather band on it tomorrow. Any other recommendations y'all have for this watch? Thanks!
I doubt the band is original, but by the looks of the watch, even if it is keeping good time, it should be serviced.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
You're lucky to own a Benru Sky Chief. this watch was the top of the Benrus line and uses, I think a Valjoux 72 or 73 movement--in of itself one of the very best chronograph movements ever made. The Benrus company at one time was the second largest watch company in the USA and in the 1950s launched a take over attempt of Hamilton which was barely defeated. Benrus made most of their watches in Switzerland and a few in France. They were a high quality manufacturer and to this day their brand name remains well known in the USA. Unfortunately their were a victim of the quartz crisis. Following the end of the original Benrus compay, the name bounced around among a variety of bottom feeders, at one time ending up in Germany then bouncing back to the USa where the name has now ended up in Hong Kong hands. Contemporary Benrus are nearly worthless or almost so. However Vintage Benrus watches are fine watches and many of their older watches made in the 1950s and 1960s, as well as being fine quality are very beautiful designs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice, thanks for taking the time to share. I'm glad to have it.

Watchbreath, no such thing as a local watchmaker in rural Mississippi. I'll keep researching & see if I can find somewhere to ship it. Was hoping for a good recommendation from some folks that know a lot more about it than I do.

You're lucky to own a Benru Sky Chief. this watch was the top of the Benrus line and uses, I think a Valjoux 72 or 73 movement--in of itself one of the very best chronograph movements ever made. The Benrus company at one time was the second largest watch company in the USA and in the 1950s launched a take over attempt of Hamilton which was barely defeated. Benrus made most of their watches in Switzerland and a few in France. They were a high quality manufacturer and to this day their brand name remains well known in the USA. Unfortunately their were a victim of the quartz crisis. Following the end of the original Benrus compay, the name bounced around among a variety of bottom feeders, at one time ending up in Germany then bouncing back to the USa where the name has now ended up in Hong Kong hands. Contemporary Benrus are nearly worthless or almost so. However Vintage Benrus watches are fine watches and many of their older watches made in the 1950s and 1960s, as well as being fine quality are very beautiful designs.

·
Registered
29,241 Posts
Did you try using Yelp to see if you can find someone more or less within the region you live?

You can send it off to a number of good service centers, but I would guess with a bit of hunting and research you can find a good watchmaker closer to home.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I think its a really cool looking piece. Nice pick up!

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
. . . . Any recommendations on where to have Benrus watches serviced & what I should expect to pay? . . . .
'Bout tree fiddy for the actual movement service plus parts. Case refinishing, dial work, gaskets, crown, crystal, pushers, etc - extra.

Search Results

Let's just say a little north of nickel and that way you will be prepared for possible sticker shock. I know a dude still looking for Sky Chef parts after three (3) years.

Good Luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts