WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this watch up on a local pawn shop crawl I tend to do every couple months. Has anyone seen a Benrus with those marks on the bottom corners on the dial? You can't see it but it looks like one maybe faded in the upper right hand corner to.
IMG_20111004_084015.jpg

IMG_20111004_084050.jpg

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
No idea why anyone would do that. Looks hand scribed on the dial.
Pretty sure the movement and dial easily drop out the back together on these, so this could have been someone (not a watchmaker) playing around.
DIY watch design? They wanted to see what black corners would look like?
Can't imagine that it was done seriously for any other reason.

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,823 Posts
I would suspect its where the dial is not fully supported by the movement/ inner caseback (because of a round or shaped movement) and pressure from the case on the corners of the dial have caused the dial to flex and flake off the paint.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Would want to see it without the distortion of the crystal...my first thought was that someone "bent" the edges up (perhaps looking to make it fit in a different case?)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will pull it out tonight and post some better pics. With a real camera vs my cell phone.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Nice early Benrus with shock resistance. Can't imagine what those smudges are; they look like they were made from the dial side with the crystal off. Bored child perhaps? Does the crystal look like it's held down with a black, tar-y substance?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No black tar substance the case and the stuff on the dial is smooth and not sticky. hmm will just add it to the queue to get it cleaned and oiled once i can get to it. Then wear it love my american vintages. Have a few clintons in front of it when I get the time. Thanks for your input guys.

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,823 Posts
If you look at the dial shot, it is very clear that the corners of the dial have been bent down. Looks like there is a bit of a ridge around the hole for the movement in the caseback so I'm still going with my first guess of the case pressing down, but it surely is the cause of the paint flaking - they are not black marks but paint loss.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts