WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Bergeron 6825 vs Horotec tweezer?

12K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Mychronos 
#1 · (Edited)
After spending over an hour wrestling the spring bars out of my PO SS band to change to the black/orange leather strap, I decided I need a better tool. Those darn pins are really hard to disengage at both ends, especially since the SS strap doesn't move at all until the pins are out!

I've been very tempted by the Bereron 6825 pliers (I read about them here) but at $145 USD for a tool I use infrequently, I hesitated.

Then, at Otto Frei, I found the Horotec spring bar tweezers for $31.50! They look like they would do the trick, but wow, is that a difference in price or what!

Here is the link at Otto Frei: http://www.ofrei.com/page252.html (moderators: I checked the forum rules and didn't see any restriction on this kind of link)

Any suggestions or experience with the Horotec tweezers?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I think you should practice with a regular springbar tool a little more before spending the $$ on the plier tool. There is a thread on this forum (search under Bergeon or bracelet removal) with photos and step-by-step instructions. The secret is putting a little upward pressure on the bracelet while you are disengaging the springbar and there is a halfway point on each side. Get each side partially out and then it becomes a lot easier. I struggled the first time I removed my PO's bracelet, but have done it several times since then and it gets easier each time. Practice makes perfect, but do take your time and don't scratch the lugs!

Regards,
Eric

#3 ·
I agree with eric. Try it a couple more times. It gets easier each time you change. Took me all of maybe 3 minutes last night to change back to the bracelet on my SMP. Put a little pressure up on the first side you get the springbar out of, then get your tool rested up against the case on the opposite springbar, press in and pull up a little and you are there. Just practice, you'll get it.

#4 ·
I use Dumont High Tech Tweezers wich i'm very pleased with, not entirely sure but i believe A&F is there mothercompany anyway if you're sure on getting tweezers you mind wanne check em out. As for changeing bracelets. I've had a long talk with my supplier of watch tools and we basiclly ended with the fact that 80% of the time you just use a small screwdriver. And like the others said learning is the key do it several times maybe on a crappy watch if your're not sure, but just practice.

David

#5 ·
Thanks for the link. I just ordered the Spring Bar Tool from ofrei.com based on their description. I'd like to swap out the bracelet on my diver watch for a NATO strap, but want to be able to do it myself.

I'll follow your advise and practice first on some old Seikos that I have to minimize any damage to the lugs.

Thanks again!

#6 ·
Has anybody tried the Horotec tweezers on a SMP? I have followed the various tutorials regarding removing the SMP spring bars but they are just a really tough nut. I only managed to get one side partially out and when I tried on the other one my spring bar tool kept slipping.:-|

#7 ·
Make sure you put upwards pressure on the bracelet underneath while you are releasing the spring bars. Sometimes, you need to pop each side of the spring bar halfway before you can get it to fully disconnect. Practice makes perfect and you can honestly do it with the spring bar tool. If I can do it, anyone can.

Regards,
Eric

#8 ·
Thanks for the tip, I guess I just have to keep trying. I'm just afraid the constant slipping of my springbar tool against the spring bar might smoothen the grooves and make it impossible to take it out anymore. Will this actually happen?

As for the Horotec tweezers, I have contacted Ofrei about it and he said he's not sure it will work on the SMP and he didn't even really recommend it. He praised the Bergeon 6825 pliers though, albeit at its hefty price. Just some information for those considering the tweezers.:)

#9 ·
Don't worry about wearing down the spring bars, you'll be fine. The Bergeon 6767F is all you need.

Regards,
Eric

#10 ·
I practiced with my invicta,,,oh boy,,the lugs got beat up badly so I need to buy this tweezers I dont want any scratches on my Omegas and Tags.. Steve how was it? any success?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.