WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like Fred has put out a new pre-order for the Globemaster. Four color options are available.

Pre-order ends soon. Price seems reasonable for a Swiss auto GMT movement.

Please leave any negativity out of the thread. If you have no intentions of wanting to buy because it looks similar to a GMT Master, please move on.

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
Looks like Fred has put out a new pre-order for the Globemaster. Four color options are available.

Pre-order ends soon. Price seems reasonable for a Swiss auto GMT movement.

Please leave any negativity out of the thread. If you have no intentions of wanting to buy because it looks similar to a GMT Master, please move on.
Really?

A Swiss auto GMT for that price? With an ETA movement with a function that ETA never made?

Something doesn't sound right...

·
Premium Member
6,950 Posts
Really?

A Swiss auto GMT for that price? With an ETA movement with a function that ETA never made?

Something doesn't sound right...
From part of an ABlogToWatch reader review feature :

The Globemaster GMT is made with a particularly interesting modified ETA 2836 movement offering both an independently adjustable GMT hand while retaining a "jump hour" functionality. It's based on ETA's day-date movement with the day becoming the 24-hour hand.

Reactions: Jlanc

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
From part of an ABlogToWatch reader review feature :

The Globemaster GMT is made with a particularly interesting modified ETA 2836 movement offering both an independently adjustable GMT hand while retaining a "jump hour" functionality. It's based on ETA's day-date movement with the day becoming the 24-hour hand.
Yes, I read that anonymous review as well. My Google searches for it bring up pages of fakes using it.

All the major players are getting the ETA squeeze and going to Sellita as contracts aren't renewed.

Yet this guy can find 500 (based on his limited edition) ETA 2836s, have them modified, and sell the watch in the same price range as Miyota-using micros?

And most searches for ETA 2836 GMT bring up a reference to fakes and Hangzhou 6460 movements...

I'm very suspicious.

Can anyone wirh real technical experience confirm that there are large quantities of genuine Swiss-Made 2836 GMTs available? Rather than all the clones that screw up my Google search by using 'ETA' in all their descriptions...

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
It means, as long as baseless suspicions are being cast about, that somebody came here to stir things up.
Due diligence.

ETA never made a 2836 GMT.

Curiosity leads to Google.

Google brings up pages of fakes or Hangzhou 6460 'clone' movements.

Zero Swiss Made 2836 GMTs, but that may because the clones spam ETA in their descriptions.

Questions have a solid grounding and I would like a proper answer from someone with genuine technical experience with these movements rather than petty accusations of thread crapping.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Due diligence.

ETA never made a 2836 GMT.

Curiosity leads to Google.

Google brings up pages of fakes or Hangzhou 6460 'clone' movements.

Zero Swiss Made 2836 GMTs, but that may because the clones spam ETA in their descriptions.

Questions have a solid grounding and I would like a proper answer from someone with genuine technical experience with these movements rather than petty accusations of thread crapping.
Google leads to thinking you know everything when you don't. If you had gotten in on the process earlier, Fred could have explained. Perhaps he still will.

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
Google leads to thinking you know everything when you don't. If you had gotten in on the process earlier, Fred could have explained. Perhaps he still will.
Google tells me that the majority of '2836 GMT' movements are 'clones' called Hangzhou 6460s.

That is ample grounds to request technical details on the discrepancy between very hard to find Swiss Made vs ample Chinese movements.

Your clearly biased and promotional cheerleading isn't providing any relevant or useful information.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
You are also incorrect on the quantity. Fred never agreed to build another 500. Has 38 movements secured and is working on finding more. Presumably production will be limited to the number of movements he can get. In addition, the price has increased since the last batch. this reflects the increased cost of the movements and probably the lower production amount. All topics addressed in an earlier thread which your Google Fu somehow missed.

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
You are also incorrect on the quantity. Fred never agreed to build another 500. Has 38 movements secured and is working on finding more. Presumably production will be limited to the number of movements he can get. In addition, the price has increased since the last batch. this reflects the increased cost of the movements and probably the lower production amount. All topics addressed in an earlier thread which your Google Fu somehow missed.
500 is what was presented in the link above.

The questionable movement we are talking about is the one presented above.

Further googling reveals the 38 you are talking about were ETA 2893s, which were shelved in favor of the questionable movement being cheaper and more readily available. How he can find 500 'Swiss Made 2836 GMT' movements that ETA never made (but Hangzhou does), yet only 38 2893ss, which are still in production, is baffling.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have the Berhardt Retro diver which also has a swiss ETA auto movement - bang for buck you cannot get better - great build quality and awesome spec

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
500 is what was presented in the link above.

The questionable movement we are talking about is the one presented above.

Further googling reveals the 38 you are talking about were ETA 2893s, which were shelved in favor of the questionable movement being cheaper and more readily available. How he can find 500 'Swiss Made 2836 GMT' movements that ETA never made (but Hangzhou does), yet only 38 2893ss, which are still in production, is baffling.
Do you own a watch company? Perhaps he has sources unknown to you or Google. You keep saying ETA never made a 2836 gmt. You are are right, and Fred never said they did. They were modified by eliminating the day wheel and adding a gmt hand in it's place. Which you should have known after all your "research".

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
Do you own a watch company? Perhaps he has sources unknown to you or Google. You keep saying ETA never made a 2836 gmt. You are are right, and Fred never said they did. They were modified by eliminating the day wheel and adding a gmt hand in it's place. Which you should have known after all your "research".
Chinese clones of 2836ss, Hangzhou 6460s, have been modified to a GMT function.

You can't even keep your own 'facts' straight with regards to movement being used and quantity.

This strikes me as very deliberate evasion and obfuscation, which certainly adds even more doubt to the question.

My curiosity was piqued because I have been in contact with several Swiss movement, and two brokers, as well as researching the basics from ETA/Sellita. A Swiss-Made, Swiss-Modified 2836 GMT was new to me. So far my central 24h hand GMT options were limited to limited-supply brokers for 2893s, high MOQs for SW330 and 9384, and cost for Cal 39xx.

An available, less expensive than a 2893, Swiss-Made and Modified 2836 GMT sounds awesome. But every detail regarding sourcing it leads to clones like the Hangzhou. But I can find 100% Swiss-Made, thin, automatic, flying tourbillon movements, easier than this GMT.

Occam's razor I guess.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I think you need a better grade of tinfoil for that hat. Paranoid much?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts