WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been looking for a yellow face divers watch for a while. I had narrowed my choices down to a few companies. Maybe Deep Blue, maybe Benarus. Then, luckily, I saw someone post a picture of the Sea Shark. Man, that dial and bezel just spoke to me. The price was right too. At $199.00 it is probably the best deal in the watch world for an auto, sapphire diver's with 200m water resistance. Same movement as the other watches I had been contemplating but much cheaper, and I liked the dial better too.

The Specs:
* Price: $199.00 plus $30.00 shipping to Japan
* 42mm size (yeah!)
* 316L Stainless Steel Case
* Flat Sapphire Crystal
* 200 meter water resistance
* Large, screw-down crown
* Miyota Movement (21 Jewels) not sure of the number
* SS bracelet with screw links.
* Lug size 20mm
* 2 year warranty
* wooden case

I emailed Mr. Fred B. Amos and to my surprise, he replied immediately. I live on the other side of the world (in Japan) so it truly was a surprise. After a few questions, I mailed (snail mail) a postal money order to Fred. A few weeks later, a gorgeous wooden box arrived:

Open the box:

Ah... there she is. I received Sea Shark # 91 in Yellow. When I opened the box, I was wearing my Orient Star Sports. In comparison, the Sea Shark was not so well finished as the Orient, but it is 1/3 the price. The Shark is a tool watch, right? No worries. Right out of the box it looked NICE and felt solid. This thing is hefty! With the metal bracelet, it weighs in at 170 grams! My initial inspection of the watch showed a few sharp edges and it looked like some of the screws in the bracelet had been worked a bit too much. There was also a slight (very slight) scratch on the bezel at the "15" mark. I later mentioned these things to Fred. He again immediately replied and apologized for that slip in QC. He offered me a special price on my next purchase. How is that for service?!!! Wow!

I really like this watch a lot. It is, seriously, one of the most comfortable watches that I have ever put on my wrist. The watch is large but doesn't wear large. Perhaps this is because of the curved lugs. Look at the lugs from the front too. I love that taper that they have. It really adds to the uniqueness of this watch. The watch does feel hefty on the wrist though. Not quite the he-man watch feel of my 47mm RXW, let's say but you notice this one.

The watch is very accurate too. At least mine is. It is off by + 20 seconds or-so per day. For a watch at this price point, with a rugged movement, I am impressed.

The back of the watch with the metal band:

I like how the band says Bernhardt Instruments. Not sure if he has any more of this band. I think the new ones say "Bernhardt" only.

Wrist Shot:

Things were going great in Sea Shark land when tragedy struck. When I was setting the time one morning, the crown and a very short stem just kept unscrewing and completely came right off the watch! Yikes! I screwed it back in but I could not set the time in the "forward" direction or the crown and short stem would just come off again. I could set the time in the "backward" direction, so I did and just kept wearing the watch. Have you ever tried to set the time on a watch "backwards?" Man... I am an intelligent guy, educated, Master's Degree, I am a college lecturer... but I missed setting the time 3 times before I got used to it! LOL! Harder than I thought.:think:

The next day I emailed Fred. I agreed to ship the problem watch head back to Fred to be fixed or replaced. Instead, knowing that I lived far away in Japan and it would cost me quite a bit, he immediately sent me a replacement watch head at his own expense. A few weeks later, I received Sea Shark #190 in yellow. GUYS! That is FIRST-CLASS CUSTOMER SERVICE! |> Fred knows how to treat his customers right! Thanks Fred!!!:thanks

I haven't had time to change the band so I quickly stuck it on a leather strap. The watch is only 95 grams on leather. Some pix:

The signed crown. The BEST crown in terms of ease-of-grip of any watch that I own.

Right now, this is my go-to watch for day to day wear. I simply love this thing. And Fred B. Amos is a true gentleman who knows what good value and good customer service is. He stands behind his product, even making the 2-year warranty good for someone half-way around the world. I cannot recommend these watches highly enough.

This watch has a unique look and is priced right. At $199.00, it is a steal! When I was recently at an international food fair in Yokohama, one of the organizers was wearing a Rolex Yachtmaster. I commented on his watch. He asked what I was wearing. I said, " You have never seen one of these before. It is a Bernhardt Sea Shark." I took it off and handed it to him. He felt it, looked it over, then handed it back. "That's a nice watch!" he said. That coming from a Rolex owner! Man, that made my day. If only he knew how little I payed. :-!

If you are interested, Fred is great to deal with! You can't go wrong. If you are interested in an ETA movement, he has those too. Look at the Corsair, Globemaster, or Binnacle GMT.

http://www.bernhardtwatch.com/

Cheers!

D

·
0 Posts
I ordered the dark gray SeaShark Wednesday and it should arrive today. I'm hoping for a nice everyday watch that can handle saltwater. We will see.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Wonderful review and spot on. Fred is amazing.

I introduced my co-workers to the Sea Shark and now there are 3 people in the office wearing them. Not bad, considering they only know of Seiko/Citizen before.

Great watch. Great value.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Minitoujoe! I appreciate the positive comment! Yes. Fred is awesome to deal with. Unfortunately for me, no one in my office (of half-baked English profs) know anything or care anything for watches! LOL! Glad your guys do!:-!

K

·
0 Posts
I'm in. Just purchased one of the last 3 red models. Looks like its going to be a nice watch.

K

·
0 Posts
Got my red Sea Shark today. All I can say is its awesome. What a value for price. The watch is well constructed, the hands line up perfectly and Fred was awesome to deal with. I read some knocks on the lume brightness but as long as I can make out the time in the dark this watch will be on my wrist for a very long time. Thanks for your great review.

K

·
0 Posts
I'll just say the lume is legible. You can make it out and read the time in the dark but its nothing to write home about. Citizen lume blows Bernhardt's away. I wear my Sea Shark at night and I can pretty much see the time from 11:00 PM to 5:30 AM when I wake up. Its really dim in the morning but one can still make out the time.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Love the watch. I had a mod done with the case etc. and a ETA movement. Really liked it. I just wished if it had a 22mm bracelet. The bracelet is soooooo comfortable, but it feels the wrong size from an aesthetic perspective for the watch.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I just received a silver Sea Shark. I'll echo your sentiments, OP: I LOVE THIS WATCH! It is now my daily wear watch, outside of the office.

The silver dial really is wonderful...metallic, it will change color a bit with changes in lighting, and really sets off the lumend numbers, indicies and hands well, and contrasts beautifully with the black bezel. I was a bit concerned that white hands on a silver dial would be hard to read...but there's no problem there.

The lume is ... there. It works. I can happily live with it.

The case is very nice too. The lugs particulalry are very pleasingly sculpted. Which probably has a lot to do with how comfortably the watch wears. This is actually the most confortable watch I've ever worn.

No problems at all with the crown on mine, and not a blemish on the watch when it arrived....though more on that later.

And the bracelet is great. Now, I, too, thought, as one previous poster had mentioned, that the bracelet might be a bit narrow, I think it is 20 mm. If this concerns you, don't let it. The bracelet is hefty, and the width is just fine for the size and weight of the watch. I have an 8" wrist, and the watch and bracelet seem properly proportioned, and appear larger than they actually are, IMHO. I have a 22 mm non-tapered bracelet on a larger watch the Orient CEM7500 "Hogrider" and while that large non-tapered bracelet is perfect for that watch, I think it would be overly wide for the Sea Shark.

I also think that this is one of the best-looking bracelets I've seen on any dive watch...and I mean ANY, regardless of price. No bling, but not too "toolish" if that makes sense, and no odd styling touches a la Seiko Sawtooth or Monster (though I actually like the Monster bracelet.)

One cautionary note, so others may learn from my mistake: the caseback is very nicely engraved, with some stippling or matting to add contrast around the shark picture and lettering. THIS TEXTURED PORTION OF CASEBACK IS DELICATE! I foolishly dropped the watch in my pocket and walked about for a few mintues...and the bracelet rubbed against it...and burnished it in a few spots. The shark and lettering are fine, but if you want to keep that nice textured caseback clean...DON'T LET THE BRACELET TOUCH IT!!!! This may be an obvious point to those with more watch experience than I, but thought I ought to mention it, and hopefully save some of you some grief. And this is NOT a criticism of the watch: just an example of my carelessness.

I really can't say enough about this watch, I'm just delighted!

B

·
0 Posts
Nice review and great pictures, I will have to buy one now, at that price I 'd be mad not to!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I saw a used specimen recently on PMWF and am kicking myself for not pulling the trigger. I remain on the lookout for a Corsair or Sea Shark in good condition. Nice review....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Where can I buy this watch from? I just saw the picture and it was love at first sight. Please let me know where can I buy this from?

I had been looking for a yellow face divers watch for a while. I had narrowed my choices down to a few companies. Maybe Deep Blue, maybe Benarus. Then, luckily, I saw someone post a picture of the Sea Shark. Man, that dial and bezel just spoke to me. The price was right too. At $199.00 it is probably the best deal in the watch world for an auto, sapphire diver's with 200m water resistance. Same movement as the other watches I had been contemplating but much cheaper, and I liked the dial better too.

The Specs:
* Price: $199.00 plus $30.00 shipping to Japan
* 42mm size (yeah!)
* 316L Stainless Steel Case
* Flat Sapphire Crystal
* 200 meter water resistance
* Large, screw-down crown
* Miyota Movement (21 Jewels) not sure of the number
* SS bracelet with screw links.
* Lug size 20mm
* 2 year warranty
* wooden case

I emailed Mr. Fred B. Amos and to my surprise, he replied immediately. I live on the other side of the world (in Japan) so it truly was a surprise. After a few questions, I mailed (snail mail) a postal money order to Fred. A few weeks later, a gorgeous wooden box arrived:

Open the box:

Ah... there she is. I received Sea Shark # 91 in Yellow. When I opened the box, I was wearing my Orient Star Sports. In comparison, the Sea Shark was not so well finished as the Orient, but it is 1/3 the price. The Shark is a tool watch, right? No worries. Right out of the box it looked NICE and felt solid. This thing is hefty! With the metal bracelet, it weighs in at 170 grams! My initial inspection of the watch showed a few sharp edges and it looked like some of the screws in the bracelet had been worked a bit too much. There was also a slight (very slight) scratch on the bezel at the "15" mark. I later mentioned these things to Fred. He again immediately replied and apologized for that slip in QC. He offered me a special price on my next purchase. How is that for service?!!! Wow!

I really like this watch a lot. It is, seriously, one of the most comfortable watches that I have ever put on my wrist. The watch is large but doesn't wear large. Perhaps this is because of the curved lugs. Look at the lugs from the front too. I love that taper that they have. It really adds to the uniqueness of this watch. The watch does feel hefty on the wrist though. Not quite the he-man watch feel of my 47mm RXW, let's say but you notice this one.

The watch is very accurate too. At least mine is. It is off by + 20 seconds or-so per day. For a watch at this price point, with a rugged movement, I am impressed.

The back of the watch with the metal band:

I like how the band says Bernhardt Instruments. Not sure if he has any more of this band. I think the new ones say "Bernhardt" only.

Wrist Shot:

Things were going great in Sea Shark land when tragedy struck. When I was setting the time one morning, the crown and a very short stem just kept unscrewing and completely came right off the watch! Yikes! I screwed it back in but I could not set the time in the "forward" direction or the crown and short stem would just come off again. I could set the time in the "backward" direction, so I did and just kept wearing the watch. Have you ever tried to set the time on a watch "backwards?" Man... I am an intelligent guy, educated, Master's Degree, I am a college lecturer... but I missed setting the time 3 times before I got used to it! LOL! Harder than I thought.:think:

The next day I emailed Fred. I agreed to ship the problem watch head back to Fred to be fixed or replaced. Instead, knowing that I lived far away in Japan and it would cost me quite a bit, he immediately sent me a replacement watch head at his own expense. A few weeks later, I received Sea Shark #190 in yellow. GUYS! That is FIRST-CLASS CUSTOMER SERVICE! |> Fred knows how to treat his customers right! Thanks Fred!!!:thanks

I haven't had time to change the band so I quickly stuck it on a leather strap. The watch is only 95 grams on leather. Some pix:

The signed crown. The BEST crown in terms of ease-of-grip of any watch that I own.

Right now, this is my go-to watch for day to day wear. I simply love this thing. And Fred B. Amos is a true gentleman who knows what good value and good customer service is. He stands behind his product, even making the 2-year warranty good for someone half-way around the world. I cannot recommend these watches highly enough.

This watch has a unique look and is priced right. At $199.00, it is a steal! When I was recently at an international food fair in Yokohama, one of the organizers was wearing a Rolex Yachtmaster. I commented on his watch. He asked what I was wearing. I said, " You have never seen one of these before. It is a Bernhardt Sea Shark." I took it off and handed it to him. He felt it, looked it over, then handed it back. "That's a nice watch!" he said. That coming from a Rolex owner! Man, that made my day. If only he knew how little I payed. :-!

If you are interested, Fred is great to deal with! You can't go wrong. If you are interested in an ETA movement, he has those too. Look at the Corsair, Globemaster, or Binnacle GMT.

Bernhardt Watch Company

Cheers!

·
Registered
375 Posts
[email protected] or Bernhardtwatch.com or PM fdaytonatym - Payment is directly through PayPal and usually ships the same day (East Coast shipping) for delivery within two or three. Very efficient and quick shipping.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts