WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I just hang out with the wrong people :-d, but despite all the marketing some of these watch companies do, a lot of my non-WIS friends seem to know few brands outside of Rolex, and the mass-market cheaper brands like Seiko/Casio/Citizen. Tag Heuer seems to be the most well-known outside of Rolex.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Tag heuer. To a lesser extent Omega and Breitling as well. Sometimes even Panerai. But even then they get shocked at the prices involved with these brands.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
In America, Rolex and maybe Tag (don't think very many will know the Heuer part) will be the only answer for most...hope you don't get in too much trouble over the "mass-market / cheaper" comment! Everybody here - on WUS -knows what those brands are capable, it's just that everybody else - in the US - doesn't.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Before I got into watches, I was aware of Rolex, TAG Heuer, Citizen, Omega, and Seiko, in that order of awareness. Mostly just because of advertising in the USA. I knew about Omega through the James Bond series and my interest in history and the Space Race.

I thought Rolex was the nicest brand out there, and I had no idea of the hierarchy regarding the rest. I actually thought Citizen was top of the line because my boss wears a two-tone Ecodrive.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In America, Rolex and maybe Tag (don't think very many will know the Heuer part) will be the only answer for most...hope you don't get in too much trouble over the "mass-market / cheaper" comment! Everybody here - on WUS -knows what those brands are capable, it's just that everybody else - in the US - doesn't.
Well hopefully nobody took that the wrong way, if anything it's just a fact. Those watch brands can appeal to a mass-market due to their cheaper prices.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tag heuer. To a lesser extent Omega and Breitling as well. Sometimes even Panerai. But even then they get shocked at the prices involved with these brands.
I did do a little exercise with one of my friends just this morning. I showed him pictures of a JLC Master Control, Nomos Orion, and Hamilton Intra-Matic and asked him to guess the prices. He guessed $3500, $2000, and $1500 respectively.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Yup. Tag/Omega/B'Ling. They know Citizen & Seiko...but not what I'd call their luxury offerings.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
When I was a kid my mother used to read Vogue and I used to thumb through it because back in the day they used to occasionally have bare tit on display. Granted, the models were so scrawny sometimes you couldn't even tell, but for square inches of flesh it beat the lingerie ads and the women's section of the Sears catalogue.

Anyway, some fairly high percentage of the ads in Vogue were for über spendy watches and so from a fairly early age I was aware of the upper strata of the watch world, even though I knew relatively little about the watches themselves.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Michele, Gucci, Cartier, Tag

Edit: from their perspective... Michele and Gucci are luxury brands.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Dang, you're on a roll lately!

I'd say another vote for Tag (Heuer) or maybe Omega if they're a James Bond fan.

There's also always Movado because your typical person doesn't really differentiate between all these different watch brands and how much they cost.

Maybe we should have a thread about ranking watches into "tiers" of "quality" or "prestige"? No, maybe not....

·
Registered
7,728 Posts
Tag & B'lings ,Seiko

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
MY friends are all old and to them a TAG is something you have to get removed at the dermatologists. But they all know Omega. And even older folk know Longines, though of course they are thinking of the earlier incarnation.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Tag and Omega for sure (and many of my non-WIS associates own these brands), and Breitling and Cartier to a lesser extent.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Funny that most of my friend knows Patek Phillip, some even have audemars and panerai and I'm 100% sure they are not WIS, other brand that they know includes IWC, longines, omega, and tag obviously.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Before paying attention to watches, my awareness and brand associations were (WERE): Rolex (greed is good), Tag (we try harder), Omega (accurate and reliable for the Olympics), Harry Winston (red carpet), and Jacob the Jeweler (MTV raps). Clearly, I was an American child of the 80's.

In contrast, my wife grew up around the same time in Japan, so she thought of Rolex, Louis Vuitton, Cartier, Chanel, Chopard, and Van Cleef for luxury watch brands.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts