WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

Just curious what your thoughts are. I am torn between the Rios Chicago and the Fluco. Does anyone have experience with these?

Are there any others I should be considering? The Fluco is claimed to be Horween, but some buyers have posted pictures of the strap with "Handmade Shell Cordovan" stamped on the back instead of the advertised "Horween Shell Cordovan."

Anyways, what is so great about Horween Shell Cordovan? I am assuming the Rios Chicago material is from somewhere else.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi all!

Just curious what your thoughts are. I am torn between the Rios Chicago and the Fluco. Does anyone have experience with these?

Are there any others I should be considering? The Fluco is claimed to be Horween, but some buyers have posted pictures of the strap with "Handmade Shell Cordovan" stamped on the back instead of the advertised "Horween Shell Cordovan."

Anyways, what is so great about Horween Shell Cordovan? I am assuming the Rios Chicago material is from somewhere else.

Thanks for the help!
60 dollars will get you a lesther strap where Cordovan only describes the color.
Good luck finding a genuine Horween shell Coedovan strap for even twice that price.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Warren,

Thanks for the input. What's an example of a Horween Shell Cordovan strap that can be confirmed to be genuine? I am fairly certain the Nomos ones are legitimate, and they are only $90. I would go for one but I prefer the shape/design of the ones I have listed with stitching.

You can buy Horween Shell Cordovan boots for around $500 or so, so I don't think sub-$100 for a strap amount of material is too much of a stretch.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I've just ordered a Nomos strap and am looking forward to attaching it to my Speedy. As you say they are definitely Shell Cordovan and from Horween.
I have a couple of RIOS Springfields and they are genuine shell cordovan but not I think from Horween. I went for the Springfield as I'm not a fan of padded straps. As one of the sites you linked to in your first post says, the straps are: Shell Cordovan leather uppers, smooth; Underside leather. Manufacturing process: Swiss full-bugg strap "Art Manuel."

Rembordé -/Full-bugg strap "Art Manuel" ( approx. 172 production steps ) This labour intensive technique is reserved for the most exclusive straps. An additional layer is placed on top of the strap. Virtually any leather can be used on this layer, such as hornback crocodile, which would be too stiff for conventional techniques. Then the strap is compressed, the edges are smoothed by using heat, sanded down and then painted five times with edge dye. Loops and buckle flaps are stitched by hand.

BTW "Cordovan" is not a colour. :)

Hope that helps.

EDIT: RIOS state "Shell Cordovan is a very hard wearing horse leather which is water resistant and breathable. The leather comes from Texan work horses which are not specifically bred for their leather."

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts

I love the light brown/tan band in the above photo! I have been looking all over for it, however, I can only find the seemingly darker brown one in the other, further down pictures in your post. Is this just a lighting color difference? Because I am looking for something lighter like the one above, and I don't want to pull the trigger on Springfield - Shell Cordovan - Cognac - Nomos if it is not the one you have pictured above. Thank you so much!

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
BTW "Cordovan" is not a colour. :)
Incorrect, but it can be confusing - Horween uses the term Cordovan to describe a product that comes in many colours, but 'cordovan' certainly is the name of a speific colour, and was borne from the original making of the shell 'leather' in Cordoba (Spain) hundreds of years ago. The colour of cordovan is basically explained as rich burgundy and dark rose. I don't actually know the history, but Horween uses the term to describe a product, but that actual colour is their 'color 8'. Maybe i'll ask my rep at Horween for a more detailled history next time I order. I put leather in quotations, because Shell Cordovan is not actually leather - it is a sinew. Pictures can be difficult, but when it comes to feel I can tell instantly if it is Shell, or leather.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Thank you CADstraps - it's always good to learn.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts