WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
There isn't a "best" watch - its different for everyone and depends what style you like. The best advice I can give for this is for you to come up with several suggestions, post them here, and then people can comment on what they think is the best one out of those choices.

·
Registered
338 Posts
There isn't a "best" watch - its different for everyone and depends what style you like. The best advice I can give for this is for you to come up with several suggestions, post them here, and then people can comment on what they think is the best one out of those choices.
Nailed right the head I still haven't founded that perfect watch at that price.

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
Hamilton, Swiss army and Tissot make some excellen time pieces in that range. I don't own one, but have also heard that seiko produces some great bang for your buck as well. Let us know how it goes!

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
If you're after a diver check out the Seiko SBDC001 (Sumo). If you're after dress watches check out the Seiko SARB / SCVS lines. You'll have change for a good strap or two.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
I would say you have to lok on the Japanese Made watches to get the maximum quality in that price range.
Blut und Eisen (Blood and Iron), was that not a part of a speech by Bismarck?
Rings a bell.....

·
Registered
152 Posts
Steinhart and Debaufre are also worth taking a look at depending on what styles pique your interest.

But, like others have already pointed out, it's tough to make appropriate suggestions without having some idea of what styles or designs appeal to you.

·
Registered
10,168 Posts
I can only speak to my own experiences, but for $500 my Hamilton Khaki has been incredible. I'd certainly think it merits a consideration. But to be honest there are a ton of great watches for that price range out there - it'd be impossible to choose one that stands above the rest.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Like others have said it depends a lot on what style you're looking for. I'm pleased with my Archimede pilot and I'd also look at the Seiko Sumo. Hamilton also seems to have some nice offerings in that range.

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
What is the best 500-600 watch in your opinion? Must be automatic. I have one in mind I'm going to purchase but thought it couldn't hurt to see other ideas.
As others have said, there is no such thing. there are many many aspects related to personal preference that must be taken into consideration before even a narrow sampling can be suggested. You've told us you want an automatic, that's a start. What else are you looking for? are you looking for:

- small, midsized or large case (thick or thin)?
- What complications are you interested in?
- what kind of crystal do you want (mineral/sapphire/acrylic. curved/flat)?
- What kind of case material (stainless steel, titanium, coated, gold, gold plated, plastic)?
- What type of watch are you interested in (diver, chrono, pilot, railroad, doctor's, Dress, traditional, heavily styled, jump hour, GMT, etc.)?
- Does the country of the brand matter to you (it does to some people)?
- Do you want a watch from a major manufacturer or from a boutique brand?
- Would you prefer something on a bracelet or on a strap?
- How about dial color, any preferences?

All of those questions and probably others would go a very long way toward helping narrow a sampling of watches to recommend to you. Otherwise expect people to just name off any watch in that price range that they have had a good experience with, which probably won't help you too much.

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
small, midsized or large case (thick or thin)? Large - thick

- What complications are you interested in? few - no chronograph just date or day date

- what kind of crystal do you want (mineral/sapphire/acrylic. curved/flat)? If i get the sumo I am getting saphire pre installed. I could live with regular crystal.

- What kind of case material (stainless steel, titanium, coated, gold, gold plated, plastic)? steel or titanium

- What type of watch are you interested in (diver, chrono, pilot, railroad, doctor's, Dress, traditional, heavily styled, jump hour, GMT, etc.)?

diver or military I want a timing / divers bezel.

- Does the country of the brand matter to you (it does to some people)?

no, just value and quality. I would say german but the ones I like are pricey

- Do you want a watch from a major manufacturer or from a boutique brand?

again, just value and quality

- Would you prefer something on a bracelet or on a strap?

should have said this - definitely bracelet

- How about dial color, any preferences?

Orange and Yellow may be a little loud for me. Black, gray, blue. I really like the green on the new alpinist, but I have mixed feelings about that watch.

·
Registered
10,168 Posts
If they still have any new ones left, the Benarus Morey might fit the bill. I quite like that watch, and you can even get a British Racing Green dial.

Not sure if it's sapphire or not.

http://www.benarus.com/moray/index.php

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you very much for the Benarus suggestion. I almost wish I hadn't asked because now I have to choose between the sumo and that one. That is pretty much exactly the kind of thing I am thinking about. Wow.

How does the miyota movement compare to the Seiko 6r15?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts