WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am looking for a get a racing/motorsport inspired watch but I am on a bit of a budget. Under $500US would be ideal.

When I say racing watch I don't think there is a general opinion/rule of what constitutes one but for me it generally needs to be a chrono and have a tachymeter on it. Pretty much my grail/dream watch is the Chopard monaco historique. Now I would rather have something that more "in the spirit" of a racing watch/similar vein to that watch instead of just buying a knockoff. So I am not directly after an imitation watch but I just wanted to provide a visual aid to what I am trying to describe in terms of the vibe/theme of the watch, since I am not great at describing things in words at all.

GPMH-Chrono-3-1.jpg

In terms of other specs, it would be nice if it were atleast WR to 100/10bar, solar would be amazing but I'm thinking with my price range asking a bit much, and I'm sure an auto chrono is out of the question aswell. Brands don't worry me too much but I do love Seiko and am not a huge fan of Citizen to be honest (I have one watch from each).

Are there any decent options?

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
My Mallard extreme has the same movement as the Tissot, for a little less $$.
mallard chrono gloves.jpg

This Steinhart is certainly racing inspired (and 2x your budget. I just like looking at it.)
st_lemans.jpg

I think Pulsar makes a couple......here's one:
Pulsar PU2007.jpg

·
Registered
416 Posts
Alpha's Daytona Chronograph is about as racing "inspired" as they come, being a copy of the Rolex Daytona design. Alpha makes about a dozen different versions in various colors and bezel finishes. They sell for $200USD or less in the sales forum or can be purchased new from Alpha's website. For the money, it's a nice mechanical chrono.

Or you could try a Triumph Tiger Chronograph to get your Heuer Monaco fix. They seem to be available from a number of different sources for less than $300 USD.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
The first two watches that popped into my head have already been suggested. the citizen primo which comes in yellow like the chopard as well as blue, green, red and the pictured orange version. It meats your solar preference but you are averse to citizen.
The other was the Tissot which looks fantastic on a black/ yellow perforated strap.
Both good choices IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
I think Pulsar makes a couple......here's one:
View attachment 3476474
FWIW, I'm pretty sure that Pulsar is a Mechaquartz. Most of their lineup is not.

Seiko makes a lot of great chronographs across lots of different model lineups, many with racing theme. Sporturas are all dialed in for that purpose.

Still perhaps findable but getting rare would be the SRP425 series. I have the SRP427 -- automatic non-chrono.

20140828_181316_resized2.jpg

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
View attachment 3475978

In terms of other specs, it would be nice if it were atleast WR to 100/10bar, solar would be amazing but I'm thinking with my price range asking a bit much, and I'm sure an auto chrono is out of the question aswell. Brands don't worry me too much but I do love Seiko and am not a huge fan of Citizen to be honest (I have one watch from each).

Are there any decent options?
ding ding ding ding!

(And while you're at it anyone know where that yellow/black Chopard nato style can be bought in a 22mm? (not from Chopard, I bet it would be a grip).

seiko (if you're specifically looking for yellow elements - i'll just post those)

20150322_082144r.jpg
snn245

20150307_114949r.jpg
sndf85

20141128_074006r.jpg
sndf93

...all well within your budget.

good luck with your search!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Autodromo Prototipo. Priced slightly over your budget at $625US new, but an excellent racing inspired watch. They should be available pre-owned at your price range. They also feature the interesting seiko meca-quartz movement that features a quartz movement for the time keeping, but a mechanical piggy-back for the chronograph function that gives you the lovely mechanical sweeping second hand when the chrono is engaged.

MG_9836-copy.jpg
photo courtesy of Worn & Wound

An alternative is the Tissot PRC200 Chrono, as suggested earlier. I own one and it's a great

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
~$700 new, but very good value.

The movement is High Accuracy Quartz - +/-10 seconds per year, thermocompensated and cased in ceramic to protect against moisture. Fit and finish is excellent. The yellow hand is the 1/100" counter - fun to watch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks a lot so far guys you have all been really helpful. As others have caught on I am really into the yellow/black/white colors. I think I am going to have to take my time with this decission. I am quite liking the sndf93 or the pulsar pu2007 but not 100% sold, main thing that is stopping me from buying the sndf93 is the tachymeter being on the inside of the bezel (not sure if that terminology is correct) but since I bought my nighthawk I have decided I don't really like "deep dish" style bezels, but that is just me personally. The pulsar is really quite nice as well. I absolutely LOVE the certina reccomendation, but I am so frusterated because I love the yellow accents on the watch but I would like it even more if it had a white face, and then I found out they have a white faced version with red accents
!!
Certina-DS-2-Precidrive-Chronometer-Chronograph-Limited-Editon-C0244481103100.jpg
This watch is so close to being perfect!! If they offered that watch with yellow accents I think I would buy it right now as it is almost exactly what I am after (and the price increase isn't too bad)

But thanks so much for the suggestions so far guys, such a helpful forum.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
This would look great with yellow hands on it. Even with the red on the dial it would look great. The two colors go perfectly together. I dont know if you would be able to source them from certina or not.

This is by far my favorite Certina watch.

Check this thread for other ideas.
https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/70s-style-racing-chrono-quartz-$300-less-1091241.html

Also, check out the upcoming Stuckx Driver
https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/should-follow-bull-we-want-your-input-stuckx-driver-1642106.html

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Yep, it is easily my favourite of the lot. IMO, the red works with the panda scheme. Stronger contrast, classic looks.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Another vote for sndf93. Looks like the chopard you posted.

I recently caught the motorsports retro chrono bug. Just bought a bunch. Lol. I want a sndf93 as well but gots to cool out for a while.

Another nice yellow chrono with a mecha-quartz is the Vratislavia Conceptum

Sent from my S5 Active...Like you care...

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
$680 outside the EU. Thermo-compensated HAQ, like the Certina, and COSC.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts