WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get my first nice (nicer) timepiece and I am looking for an all around everyday watch I can dress up or dress down for around 1200. I work in an office so it's understood what my everyday is like. New used.. Doesn't matter. Just looking for all suggestions. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Sinn 556i - I had similar criteria and ended up choosing that. It dresses up well on leather (just wore it with my Tux for my wedding) and wears great with jeans for everyday weekend wear. It definitely isn't a "dress" watch but works perfectly for everything I've thrown at it so far.

If you wear tight-fitting cuffs beware of any thicker watches. The 556 doesn't fit under the cuff of one of my shirts but works perfectly with all the rest.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
You really can't go wrong with the afore mentioned Sinn. You could also have a look at Longines Conquest line, which has some Rolex Explorer I - vibe going on. MSRP might exceed your budget somewhat, but at least over here the AD's readily offer some 25 to 30 % discounts over that.

longines-L2.785.4.56.6_LRG.jpg

Edit: forgot to say that this particular model houses the ETA 2892-2 movement. I can't recall which grade it was, but if I'm not mistaken there aren't that many choices around there around 1000 € / 1200 $ mark with that movement. So purely technically the Longines might be hard to beat. Sinn build quality is without a doubt on par with Longines.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Case size?
Watch type? (Diver, pilot, etc...)
Min required WR?
Complications?
Auto, handwind, quartz, no preference?
etc...

More info is needed as to what you like in watches, otherwise you'll get 4 pages of people posting their favorite watch, which you may or may not like...

For $1200.00? Maybe second hand I guess.
Didn't they discontinue the SMPq? In any case, they're almost all around that price, +/- $200

seamaster quartz - WatchRecon - The Most Intelligent Search Engine for Private Watch Sales

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Oris Aquis. Outstanding watch in the office, on the beach, or in the mountains.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I would echo the Shogun suggestion, so well-made, comfortable, and a beauty to look at. Not very dressy though, but I use it for wearing around the house and working on projects mostly.

For something a bit dressier, an interesting option might be the now discontinued Grand Seiko SBGF series. I have the SBGF017 on the way to me (via Japanese auction) and I think it will fit the bill quite nicely for a dressier, super-accurate, every-day and travel watch. They house the HAQ 8J56 quartz movements that should be accurate to within +-10 sec/yr and have an independently settable hour hand for timezone/DST changes. You should be able to get very nice used ones for under $1000, I would recommend the blue or black dialed ones for versatility (SBGF019 and SBGF021):

632479d1329835364-favorite-quartz-watch-sbgf019-1.jpg
DSC_2207.jpg

·
Registered
867 Posts
For an every-day wear watch in that price range, a Nomos club would be my choice. You can find them used for sub $1200.

·
Registered
527 Posts
+ 1 on NOMOS & Junghans Max Bill. I also like the Frederique Constant Classics line in automatic - very modern yet timeless/classic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
Currently rocking a Damasko DA37. Watchmann has it for 1200. I think it's a little more toolish, but because of the white face, it can do work as a dress watch with some nice leather. 40mm diameter case, so it's at that sweet spot.

damaskoooooo.jpg

damaskoda37.jpg

I also love that it's case hardened throughought. This watch is near impervious to desk diving scratches. Just banged mine against the wall while rushing out to work. Made an awful scraping sound. Looked at my watch and the case was fine. It marked paint off the poor wall though.

The white dial also makes it pop off the wrist despite the conservative size. Awesome piece. I wish I had gotten one sooner.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts