WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Best all-digi G that isn't a *man or square?

2K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  dobber72 
#1 ·
And WHY? Curious what you think.

#2 · (Edited)
These are all robust, reliable watches with various features, depending on what you want or need.

GW-2310

G-2310R

Both

GW-2310FB

G-2300EB

G-2900

G-3011

G-7710

3 simultaneous time zones, among it's unique features

G-7700-1

GD-350

GLX-150B

GA-1000

#3 ·
This is one of those unanswerable questions like "what's the best motorized vehicle?" :-d Do you want great gas mileage, acceleration and maneuverability? You probably need a motorcycle. Do you want to deliver home appliances like refrigerators and washing machines? You probably need a truck. Do you just want to commute to work in all weather conditions? You probably need a car, or a SUV, and so on.

I've also got multiple answers to the "best all digi G" question, but it again really depends on what the WEARER wants!

I really like solar/atomic models, but for people who don't go outside much, or live near the Arctic Circle, or don't live within range of the six country's radio transmitters, that's not going to be a "best" feature for them.

I used to think the GW-6900 was one of my best G's -- iconic looks, solar/atomic, and it fits nicely on Casio strap adapters, which is nice if you don't want to worry about losing the watch if one springbar breaks. As a side benefit, it makes it really easy to change the look of the watch by changing the strap in seconds, without tools.

Before that, I briefly thought the GW-2310 was one of the best G's -- solar/atomic and (like the GW-6900) it could be purchased for about 60% of the MSRP.

After the GW-6900, I thought the best almost-G's were a couple of Casio Pathfinders -- ALMOST as tough as G-Shocks, they feature cool outdoorsy gadgets, and they also have very large, easy to read displays. One of mine is also solar/atomic, so for me that's even better! Unfortunately, the watch cases themselves are relatively large, so they don't fit well under coat sleeves, but for me they're one of the best choices six months out of the year!

Currently, the best all-digital G in my collection is a customized Multiband 6 MTG-M900. The module has the largest "main display" digit size of any G-Shock, it has all of the most common features (including a 24 hour stopwatch and 24 hour countdown timer), and I replaced the bracelet and stock bezels with a resin strap and more durable bezels.

#4 ·
For me its the GD350. Even as my collection has trended much more towards the Master series over time, I think I will always have space for this watch in the collection. Why? Functionality. It has a very readable screen, time in all modes, and a view of the timer while in home time mode. I have found this watch to be more and more the one I reach for anytime I'm doing activities that primarily require use of stopwatch/timer functions. I wear it almost daily for one reason or another. It is my goto as a workout watch, perfect for keeping track of the duration of my dog walk/training sessions, and even helpful to wear around the house at times when I want to be alerted near the end of an Ebay auction. Plus I like the look, and the fact that it has a unique design amongst G's.

Another that comes to mind is the 7900, due to the tide function. I will likely always have one of those in my collection as a kayaking watch.

#8 ·
I hadn't really considered the GD-350 until I saw these posts by you and yankeexpress. I love the unusual squarish look of the GD-350. For me, the vibration feature and the wings on the strap are pluses. (I also have a G-7900A-4, and I like it a lot.)

One question: Is it possible to have the alarms and countdown timer beep without having the flash alert? I skimmed the module 3403 manual, but I couldn't find anything that said this can be done. It looks like it's either beep/flash or vibration.

#11 ·
Great photo. I love the look of this gray GD-350. Gray is one G-Shock color I don't currently have. The green tint on the central portion of the LCD is very nice.

I have an SGW-100B-3V that has blue and green tinted areas on the LCD. I really like this look.

Reactions: JohnM
#17 ·
I never really warmed up to the 6900. Something about it just doesn't work for me. I prefer the 5600. The 6900 adds bulk without bringing anything compelling in return.

The GD-350 is an excellent G-Shock. It does a lot quite well. The mushy feel of the buttons is a bit of a turnoff, but when you get used to them it's OK.

For looks and alarm usability, my favorite is the G-3000. It's one of the loudest G-Shocks around.

The "pie counters" are rather useless... more "eye candy" than anything else. That's one nod I have to give to the 6900, where the solar (GW) version puts those to use as indicators. If only they made a GW-T3000 version of the G-3000. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.