WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone can let me know from personal experience what is the best waterproofing applicant to put on leather. I've heard a bunch of products claiming to waterproof, but I also heard from others that 100% waterproofing on leather is not possible. In any case, what would the BEST protection be (other than staying out of the water...)?

S

·
0 Posts
Get a silicone rubber lined leather strap. Or go rubber right away.

BTW: We have a straps related forum here on WUS, most likely a good place to post such a question.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Hi,
I also heard from others that 100% waterproofing on leather is not possible.
If by "waterproofing" you mean "able to swim with it," then I just can't see how it can be done. The strap would have to be 100% sealed at ALL locations. For example, how would one seal the inside of the strap holes? The seams would also have to be sealed. If even the slightest amount of water soaks into the inner stuffing layer, the strap would start to rot from the inside out.
And as someone else suggested, treating the leather with anything will often alter its color (eg brown changes to dark brown).

IMO, you would be better off getting a waterproof leather strap, which would be designed/constructed with water resistancy in mind...
http://www.strappedfortime.com/shop/category.aspx?catid=24

1 - 7 of 7 Posts