WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(For those that can do without the story, I have added a recap following this)

I recently purchased my first Steinhart, the Ocean 44 Auto. I love this watch; much has already been said about this watch by myself and countless others. I therefore intend to address the bracelet, not the watch itself.

Let me begin by saying that I have never been a fan of the stock bracelets on the watches that I've bought. I don't think that I had a clear idea why until now. Most stock bracelets that I have encountered have seemed cheap, off the self, crap. The selling point on these invariably has been how heavy they were. As though using more 316L is better.

I read someone else's comments about the bracelet on the Ocean 44, saying that their first impression of it was light and flimsy, but the tight fitting solid end links and the screw removable links changed their mind. (I am paraphrasing. I looked for the exact post but could not find it.)

After reading that, I asked Gunter if I could purchase the watch without the bracelet. Perhaps I could pay extra and get the 22mm mesh instead. He was very nice about it and agreed. When a couple of weeks later the watch arrived with the stock bracelet, I set it aside still wrapped, intending to send it back the Steinhart.

Over the next two weeks I tried every strap I had on the 44 Auto: Bond Zulus, Benito Centurini, ISOfrane, ...Still not having found the perfect strap, in my bordom I decided to try the stock bracelet that I was keeping for Gunter. The solid end links fit perfectly, and it did feel thinner and lighter than other bracelets that I've tried. What caught my attention was the feel of the bracelet. The satin/brushed surface of the links was delicious to touch. I had never experienced any thing like this before.

I began to size it down, fully expecting the cheap screw bar systems of bracelets that are pretending to be better quality than they actually are. What I was confronted with was new to me (and anything new is good). The mirror polished link sides were beautiful, but it was the
screw head on only one side of the link that woke me up. As I began to back the screw out, the buttery feeling of precision had me on the edge of my seat.

The screw that came out ran the full width of the link. This was not a pin and collar, nor screw and screw bar. It threaded into the link itself. The simplicity! The genius! I assumed that the threading went all the way through the far side of the link, so I attempted to thread the screw from the "Left" side of the link to find out; no go. Looking closer, it was not just a bar threaded at the end, it had a pin end, then threads, then the screw bar. This is what has inspired me to write this completely subjective review of the Steinhart Ocean series bracelet: In all it's simplicity, precision, and genius, Gunter still took the time to make it so that I couldn't put the screw in from the "wrong" side even if I wanted to.

I can safely say that this is the first real quality bracelet that I have ever experienced. I can't stop touching it and admiring. The story of this bracelet is of course indicative of my experience with Steinhart as a whole: I believe that I can trust Gunter implicitly, and I feel that I have found a home here.

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The recap:

Solid end links
Excellent fit and finish
Precision screw bar removable links
I highly recommend this bracelet and Steinhart

·
Registered
280 Posts
Great reading, thanks!
Its not every day I read a review of a bracelet.

And the picture at the top, beautiful!
Have a great weekend, B.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Thanks for this! So this means I could size the bracelet on my own without going to a jeweller? Has anyone ever lost a screw-pin?
I love learning new stuff here.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I just ordered the Ocean 44 Black. It is good to know that the bracelet is of a good quality.

From the pictures, the bracelet seems to look like the new Rolex bracelet used in the GMT IIc and Milgaus. That bracelet also feels a little thin, is of a high quality, light and strong, and has a full length screw. Looks remarkably close to the picture.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts