WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to buy a watch from a gent in the UK but he's having trouble figuring out who to ship with watch with. Seems some are turning him down and others are charging an arm and leg (the watch is valued at $900).

So, I thought I'd turn to the WUS experience and ask who do you recommend? He'll be shipping from the UK (not sure where) to Denver Colorado. Would like it insured, tracked, signature... all the usuals.

DHL?
FedEx (do they)?
UPS?
???

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
'Royal Mail International Tracked and Signed' does what it says on the on tin, but insurance cover is only up to £250.

The only courier I've found that will insure watches/jewellery to a higher amount is DHL, who I use fairly regularly. It costs around £70 to post an average sized watch box with £1000 insurance to the US.

·
Premium Member
40,688 Posts
DHL isn’t the cheapest, but service is pretty good I my experience.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
I just received a package containing a 200 dollar strap from Hirsch via 'Royal Mail Int. Tracked & Ins' in 6 days. Six days and it arrived in Wasilla Alaska from the UK. Tracking worked a treat as well.

·
Premium Member
40,688 Posts
I just received a package containing a 200 dollar strap from Hirsch via 'Royal Mail Int. Tracked & Ins' in 6 days. Six days and it arrived in Wasilla Alaska from the UK. Tracking worked a treat as well.
Royal Mail is pretty good for low value items but as Armchair said, unfortunately they won't cover over £250.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have had success with higher valued items shipped via DHL from various countries (e.g Germany, England, China) to the States.

That said, I would be interested to hear from anyone that had a claim or some other issue that required support to assess how well DHL resolves issues.

·
Banned
6 Posts
I have received several Chr. Ward watches through Royal Mail and DHL from the UK to the US and never a problem. Guess they must have their own insurance if you can only insure up to GBP 250 with Royal Mail.

·
Premium Member
40,688 Posts
I have received several Chr. Ward watches through Royal Mail and DHL from the UK to the US and never a problem. Guess they must have their own insurance if you can only insure up to GBP 250 with Royal Mail.
ParcelPro is an option to have separate insurance - I’ve never looked into them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts