WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there was a best country to buy certain brands. For example, would it be cheaper to buy a Hamilton in USA? I've heard that they were pretty cheap in Japan too. Can anyone confirm? On that note, would Japan be the best place to buy Seikos, citizens, orients etc?

Is it, in general, cheaper to buy watches from their original country? I've heard that German and Swiss watches are actually marked up in their respective homelands. Where would be the best place to buy Nomos or Sinn?

I'm asking because I might be travelling around to various countries soon, and would like to do my research first. Thanks!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Seiko, citizen, orient is cheapest in Japan.

Everything else is cheapest in the USA. All European made watches will be cheaper in the USA than in their country of manufacture.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Seiko, citizen, orient is cheapest in Japan.

Everything else is cheapest in the USA. All European made watches will be cheaper in the USA than in their country of manufacture.
I was just in Japan last week. I found Seiko and Citizen to be same price as US. Of course you can buy duty free so no tax. I also visited an Omega Boutique and the prices were the same as US depending on the exchange rate.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,355 Posts
When making price comparisons be sure to factor in the cost of currency conversion and customs duties. Any benefit has disappeared after those costs when I've looked at watches while travelling.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
When making price comparisons be sure to factor in the cost of currency conversion and customs duties. Any benefit has disappeared after those costs when I've looked at watches while travelling.
X2 - but the traveler tax exemptions sometimes make up for that. The bigger thing would be access to models that aren't normally available, like the JDM Seikos

·
Registered
859 Posts
Omegas in Pakistan :)
really?? the list prices are way too much than other countries....maybe they offer great discount, not sure....

·
Registered
607 Posts
I was just in Japan last week. I found Seiko and Citizen to be same price as US. Of course you can buy duty free so no tax. I also visited an Omega Boutique and the prices were the same as US depending on the exchange rate.
The japan only models will be considerably cheaper than you could otherwise source. For example a MM300 is around $1.8k where as online you will be paying $2.4k.

·
Registered
47 Posts
well we generally have lower prices owing to the fact that labour and other costs(rent of the shop, advertising costs) are relatively less as compared to countries like uae, etc...and the fact omegas are comparitively less preferred than rolex (cuz of its global image) and tags(they have very aggressive marketing strategies over here). So basically it all depends here on "how" the AD is planning on portaying the brand and how much of a profit margin he is willing to let go by giving u the discount.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
I can see a lot of things in China when I am there, but not some German brands. I sure would like visit a Sinn or Nomos AD in Germany. I think it would be really cool to see all of their offerings in the metal. I'm not sure if they would be any cheaper or not, but it would be a lot of fun. Similarly, it would be cool to see the Seiko offerings in Japan that aren't available in the USA. Last time I was in Japan was before I was WIS, so sadly I missed out...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts