WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those doing auction style listings, what is your preferred time to end it? For a buy it now it really doesn't matter. I realize that it also depends on who you are selling to. Watches will be purchased mainly by adults, and the style of watch may further effect your customer base. Historically I have ended my auctions between 8-9pm Eastern on a Sunday or Monday, but I have nothing to compare to to say what is better or worse.

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Sunday, 10:00 pm Eastern for me always. That's 7:00 Pacific. Everybody's settled in and buying on ebay... so, I hope.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
9:30 Eastern on Sunday, start on Thursday and run a 10 day auction.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This often seems to be the general feeling and I try to follow it. With my schedule, Monday is a very convenient day to list my items, at the same time 8-9pm Eastern or so. How has others experience been on that?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Auction will end at 9pm UK time on a Fri, Sat or Sunday. Most of my sales are buy it now so it doesn't really matter but if i list an auction this is the time i prefer.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I think it's proven that the best time to end an auction is on a Sunday evening.

Most people are home, they're bored and have time to online shop.

·
Premium Member
6,990 Posts
FWIW, and this is anecdotal, but it seems new sales forum postings (and bumps) here on WUS see a good up-tick on Sunday evenings; So that definitely seems to be when folks have time to be online selling - I'd assume the same applies to buying.

·
Sponsor
11,977 Posts
I've sold almost $300K of stuff on Ebay. I always end my auctions 9-10pm EST on Sunday. That way you catch both East and West coast. Worst time to end auctions? During holiday rush (where everyone is driving to somewhere).

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I made that mistake last time. The auction ended on Easter Sunday. Whoops. It probably went for 30- 40% less than it should have.

I started an auction at 8:45PM EST last night and I will do the same tonight (Monday). I'm not sure about the ten day auctions. Only if you have a rare item you want more people to see, otherwise they get impatient. If I'm selling Accutron watches, there are several thousand available at once. I don't think there is an advantage to the longer listing.

·
Sponsor
11,977 Posts
I made that mistake last time. The auction ended on Easter Sunday. Whoops. It probably went for 30- 40% less than it should have.

I started an auction at 8:45PM EST last night and I will do the same tonight (Monday). I'm not sure about the ten day auctions. Only if you have a rare item you want more people to see, otherwise they get impatient. If I'm selling Accutron watches, there are several thousand available at once. I don't think there is an advantage to the longer listing.
There was a Speedmaster that ended up 25% less than the lowest I had ever found on Ebay that ended on the 4th of July weekend.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What about mid-day or luchtime listing ending? People are hanging out often at work near a computer or local food joint on facebook. I have seen some successful listings at this time.

·
Sponsor
11,977 Posts
What about mid-day or luchtime listing ending? People are hanging out often at work near a computer or local food joint on facebook. I have seen some successful listings at this time.
Is this because you "just happened to list at lunch time" or you really planned to list during lunch? It's like $0.10 to schedule a listing at a perfect time

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I bet if you go to your local bookstore and find the "For Dummies" book for eBay selling it probably talks about the best time to post.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Do you really think this matters as much as it used to? I mean as long as the auction isn't ending in the middle of the night in their timezone I feel like most people get the alert on their mobile device, and just bid from there. I have won auctions on my phone in the middle of "normal life" it only takes a few seconds.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is this because you "just happened to list at lunch time" or you really planned to list during lunch? It's like $0.10 to schedule a listing at a perfect time
Oh yes, Im aware of the ten cents and I could care less. It's just that I happen to bid on auctions ending at lunchtime and some of the sellers seem to have done well. But yes, so far I almost always do 8-9pm Sun or Mon eve.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts