WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far I think I have built a pretty damn good "bang for you buck" collection consisting of some good japanese mov'ts 6r15, a couple entry level swiss 7750's, and also a couple of the more expensive Orients (which are surprisingly accurate for the money) only thing I am missing is a non chrono swiss mov't and was wondering if you guys could give me a quick and dirty ranking of the entry level swiss mov'ts...I try to stay at a $1,000 budget or less for every watch I own, so what would you guys consider the best overall for a measly 1k budget

thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
So far I think I have built a pretty damn good "bang for you buck" collection consisting of some good japanese mov'ts 6r15, a couple entry level swiss 7750's, and also a couple of the more expensive Orients (which are surprisingly accurate for the money) only thing I am missing is a non chrono swiss mov't and was wondering if you guys could give me a quick and dirty ranking of the entry level swiss mov'ts...I try to stay at a $1,000 budget or less for every watch I own, so what would you guys consider the best overall for a measly 1k budget

thanks in advance
Will you find much more than the ETA 28XX stuff? Most common by far I think is the 2824-2. And then the Unitas ETA 6497/8 handwind which is very popular for certain styles with sub seconds hand at 9 or 6 position.

What kind of styles do you gravitate towards?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will you find much more than the ETA 28XX stuff? Most common by far I think is the 2824-2. And then the Unitas ETA 6497/8 handwind which is very popular for certain styles with sub seconds hand at 9 or 6 position.

What kind of styles do you gravitate towards?
To be honest I haven't done much research on the 28xx or the 64 series...im assuming those are some of the only options in my price range...depending on the watch brand of course

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
There are other options besides 2824, I'm thinking mainly about Sellita or Peseux for example.

What I think you should do is focus on ETA 2824 powered watches, you have tones of options in your price range. The 2824 is a proven workhorse, comes in various flavors in respect to certified accuracy (it can reach chronometer COSC grade) and it can be easily serviced and regulated by pretty much any watchmaker.

A step above the 2824 is the 2892 movement from ETA, a thinner movement and somewhat more refined than the 2824, but I believe watches powered by this movement are way above your price limit (new state)

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are other options besides 2824, I'm thinking mainly about Sellita or Peseux for example.

What I think you should do is focus on ETA 2824 powered watches, you have tones of options in your price range. The 2824 is a proven workhorse, comes in various flavors in respect to certified accuracy (it can reach chronometer COSC grade) and it can be easily serviced and regulated by pretty much any watchmaker.

A step above the 2824 is the 2892 movement from ETA, a thinner movement and somewhat more refined than the 2824, but I believe watches powered by this movement are way above your price limit (new state)

thanks for the info. like I said I'm trying to round out my collection so after buying a 7750, I am now looking to something non-chrono, and yes like you said there is hundreds of options that I now have to sort through, although I'm thinking a nice clean simple pilot style watch might be in order...stowa and hamilton have some nice new models out/coming out

·
Premium Member
4,794 Posts
For a hair under $1000 you could get a Stowa Marine Original, which I think is one of the best values out there (it has the Unitas movement). Stowas in general are a superb value (most under $1000), and you can find the Peseux, Unitas, and 2824 in their watches. The 2892 is of course also an excellent movement, if you're looking for something other than the 2824, but it's much harder to find watches under $1000 that have the 2892, as it is considered by many to be more refined than the 2824. I think it depends what you're looking for in the watch - do you want an automatic or manual movement?

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
You can get the Epos Originale with the 2892.A2 movement - really good deal on that watch (less than $1000). I have a Tissot Carson Mecaline with an ETA 2892, but mine was a limited edition available in Asia, not sure if that model can be found easily. There will be a few watches with the Soprod A10 movement coming out soon. Another thing to wait for is Citizen/Miyota's 9xxx which should also be less than a $1000.

Of course, there are the other options already mentioned - ETA 2824/2834/2836 family, various Sea-gull movements (including the lovely ST19), the robust Poljot 3133, and quite a few others.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
As the owner of 2824, 2836, and 2892 watches I can honestly say the 2892 just feels worlds ahead. It's so much smoother to wind and in my experience keeps better time (although that's probably due to the regulation of the watch). Keep in mind the lowest 2892 is actually an elabore which is a huge upgrade when compared to the base 2824. You can easily get a 2892 powered watch for WELL under $1000. Look at the discontinued Concord, Ebel, and Maurice Lacroix watches out there. I have bought a few over the past year and am just amazed by the quality per dollar.

NM

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As the owner of 2824, 2836, and 2892 watches I can honestly say the 2892 just feels worlds ahead. It's so much smoother to wind and in my experience keeps better time (although that's probably due to the regulation of the watch). Keep in mind the lowest 2892 is actually an elabore which is a huge upgrade when compared to the base 2824. You can easily get a 2892 powered watch for WELL under $1000. Look at the discontinued Concord, Ebel, and Maurice Lacroix watches out there. I have bought a few over the past year and am just amazed by the quality per dollar.

NM
thank you much everyone for the advice, this is exactly the kind of info I am looking for, I am def. not a brand snob, In most cases I could care less for the name on the dial as long as it is built with good fit/finish, looks good, and has an overall "bang for you buck" feel to it...spending hours researching the lesser known brands and finding an awesome watch at a killer price is such an exhilarating feeling that I love.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I completely understand. You won't be disappointed with the brands I've mentioned. My favorite is Maurice Lacroix - I feel the brand may well move up in reputation since it's producing its own movements (and beautiful ones at that). You can pick up one of the Pontos line watches for well under $1000 and believe me you're getting a watch that is every bit as well made as an Omega or Tag.

Cheers
NM

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
You might be able to get a used Nomos for under $1,000.

I think the higher end watches (beyond your budget) use in-house movements, and the entry level use mofidifed and decorated (peseux?) movements.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I completely understand. You won't be disappointed with the brands I've mentioned. My favorite is Maurice Lacroix - I feel the brand may well move up in reputation since it's producing its own movements (and beautiful ones at that). You can pick up one of the Pontos line watches for well under $1000 and believe me you're getting a watch that is every bit as well made as an Omega or Tag.

Cheers
NM
I have to agree with nm4710 here, I have had many Maurice Lacroix watches and they have all been great. Very well made and great value, the pontos range is very good but anything from the masterpiece range is superb quality, i own a masterpiece reserve de marche and it is stunning!

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,075 Posts

thanks in advance
The ones I'm familar with are from ETA. Realize that Swatch produces them in more than one grade.

Automatic
[email protected] and alll it's variants are decidedly above the others.
2836 and 2824

Handwind
6497, 6498, 7001 and 2801 are different designs but quite similar in quality.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
If you have one of those Movado/Ebel/Concord outlet near you then check them out when they have 75% off (MSRP) or higher sales (they do it around 2 times a year or so, I have seen 80% off sale as well and sometimes they will have coupons).

You can get some nice ETA autos for under $500. (MSRP $2k but don't worry about the MSRP) Ebels movements are quite well finished and the one that I have looked at the second hand was literally GLIDING across the dial and I could not notice any stutter..

·
Registered
5 Posts
wt abt Ball aviator? screw-crown n exceptional lumination made it very practical to use. I'm consider on getting this as my 1st entry swiss watch.
anyone has any comments on this Ball aviator?:think:
:thanks

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
some very good suggestions in this thread...the new Maurice LaCroix's are :p but the few in my range are a little to small for my liking, Stowa has some very nice models as well, also Hamilton seems to make some nice bang for your buck 2824's

One thing I did find through some research is that many reviews written by some watchmakers say that the 2892 and its variation are not necessarily worth the extra money compared to a 2824 which has hundreds of options in the $300-$600 range where I've found most 2892's to my liking to be at minimum $700+ because apparently they are not as common as the 2824

on a side note I found these while browsing some different manufacturers and holy jeebus is this thing beautiful, although out of my budget :-|

1 - 17 of 17 Posts