WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Best field watches for men

17K views 36 replies 25 participants last post by  unpleasantness 
#1 ·
#4 ·
If we're talking attractive field-style watches, then it's a decent enough list (although I don't think you can really pick just 5.)

If we're talking watches you would actually take hiking, climbing, into battle, etc, (as the article lead-in seems to indicate) then it's a pretty crummy list. The Timex Exhibition being the only truly practical option. A $7,000 Rolex 1016 that hasn't been manufactured in more than 40 years as an ideal outdoors watch? Really?

In my opinion, the best true field watch is the one you don't mind destroying. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how well-built your watch is – if it smakes into a rock face at high velocity, or a spring bar breaks and it takes a dive off a cliff, it's game over (Well, unless it's a G-shock and assuming you can actually find it again…)

Plus, if I'm out on the trail, the last thing I want to be doing is worrying about damaging my watch, as I most certainly will be if it costs thousands of dollars.

#5 · (Edited)
If we're talking attractive field-style watches, then it's a decent enough list (although I don't think you can really pick just 5.)

If we're talking watches you would actually take hiking, climbing, into battle, etc, (as the article lead-in seems to indicate) then it's a pretty crummy list. The Timex Exhibition being the only truly practical option. A $7,000 Rolex 1016 that hasn't been manufactured in more than 40 years as an ideal outdoors watch? Really?

In my opinion, the best true field watch is the one you don't mind destroying. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how well-built your watch is - if it smakes into a rock face at high velocity, or a spring bar breaks and it takes a dive off a cliff, it's game over (Well, unless it's a G-shock and assuming you can actually find it again…)

Plus, if I'm out on the trail, the last thing I want to be doing is worrying about damaging my watch, as I most certainly will be if it costs thousands of dollars.
This. Don't get me wrong - I'd love an Explorer I. However, the perfect field watch is probably plastic, quartz or solar, LCD or simple 24 hour analog dial, costs less than a 100 bucks, doesn't go that well with a Saville Row suit or dinner jacket (in otherwords, fairly ugly looking) and is the very antithesis of the watches discussed 99% of the time on general forum.

#6 ·
They forgot this one:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: maxpowerman
#7 ·
They forgot this one:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Another great example of the cruel irony of expensive sports and field watches. The polar Explorer is very cool looking and absolutely calls out to be a travel watch, or an outdoors watch. Unfortunately, with a starting price of around $7,000, it absolutely ensures that if I owned one, I would never, ever use it for any of these things…

#16 · (Edited)
I have an Alpinist and love it, but I don't see myself doing a lot of outdoors stuff with it. The green dial combined with the gold polished numbers is not the most legible dial design. Specifically, the numbers and most of the hands tend to become almost invisible in direct sunlight. The painted parts of the hands are visible in any lighting, so it's not like you can't tell the time, but it's definitely not ideal if you need to easily read it at a glance in any lighting condition.

Furthermore, the Alpinist, more so than just about any other watch I own, calls out for a (brown) leather strap. It just isn't the same on a bracelet or rubber strap (my preferred choice for any time wrist-sweat is likely.)

Beautiful watch though. Mine says Hi.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

#17 ·
Interesting, they seem to prefer mechanical watches rather than battery-powered watches.

#18 ·
Of the watches I actually own the ones I consider as legitimate 'field' watches are the Luminox 3103, the Maratac TSAR, and the Maratac Navigator. Each is physically robust, has bright tritium illumination, easily legible dial, quartz mvmt, rotating timing bezel, and is inexpensive. I would feel quite comfortable in the most demanding field conditions with any of them.

#20 ·
Quartz watches need seal maintenance and battery replacement with intervals similar (or greater) than automatics. And if you're worried about your expensive watch getting hurt, insure it. The whole point of buying any Rolex Oyster is wearing the thing. People act like you can't go outdoors with these things-that's what they're built for. If you spend your time 5 days a week operating a jackhammer, yes I'd get a cheap watch. But what's the point of paying thousands for a rugged, excellent time piece if you'e scared to wear it?

#22 ·
G-Shock (bulky no true ABC tech) or Suunto (if you do not mind changing batteries more often than not). if not a digital, quartz or auto like a CWC RN Diver.

#23 ·
What a ridiculous article. Obviously "Gear Patrol" is in the business of selling things, not giving honest reviews. Those are all very nice watches, obviously, but who in his right mind would take an expensive Rolex watch on a rugged expedition where it could get lost or broken? The only watch that belongs on that list is the Timex, and it seems the author grudgingly threw it in there so that his "recommendations" would have at least a tiny sliver of truth to them.

I'm not a watch expert by any means, but if I was to create a list of "field watches" it would probably include only Timex, Casio, and similar rugged dependable and cheap brands. Not to say that expensive brands can't have rugged models, but who wants to risk losing or damaging an expensive watch when a $40 Timex can do the job just as well for very little risk of losing a significant investment?

#36 ·
You don't have to be rich (or view it as disposable) to wear a Rolex for the task it was designed for, you just need to not view it as jewelry, and be okay with having scratches and dings on the watch.

#37 ·
Hear hear. I did three decades w/my Tudor Submariner, diving, riding motorcycles, exploring all manner of nasty places, even having it sprayed by paint when a paint shaker broke. I still have it. It still works. And it's worth ten times what I paid for it in 1980. It's amazing what a service can do to renew it, too, but not that surprising because the Rolex Oyster case isn't built just to look good. You quite often get what you pay for, if you just exercise a bit of common sense. I don't wear it when I'm using a chain saw, for example. It goes in my pocket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.