WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm enlisting to the army in 3 months... Unfortunately it's a must here in Israel...

What is the most recommended watch for the army?
Most people here buy 6600 or 6900 before enlisting.
What are you recommending, going with one of these two, or get something else?

Sorry if this question is obvious or something, thank you :)

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Welcome to WUS!

Your question isn't obvious, but it IS asked quite often:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/hey-new-forum-g-shock-world-d-899581.html -- "I'm currently aged 17 from Israel which means in a year im going to the military so I need a G' that is good for the military."

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/should-perfect-basic-training-115806.html

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/military-enlisted-new-gshocks-787627.html -- "I'm 25 and will be leaving early spring for basic training in the United States Army"

You can probably find plenty more with the forum's search function, or by plugging "site: forums.watchuseek.com/f17" into Google combined with phrases like "basic training," "military," and so on.

Many people here suggest getting a G-Shock that's inexpensive, is easy to read, blends in rather than sticking out, and fits under a uniform sleeve. Unfortunately, Casio stopped making the DW6600 a while back, but the DW6900 is still widely available, and the DW5600 "square" is always a popular choice.

·
Premium Member
13,982 Posts
In my opinion, get the DW-6900 and be done with it. Good module for what you need. The front mounted light button is a huge plus. There are numerous threads on the subject and opinions will vary. Another good choice would be member Cal.45's favorite, the G-7900. Big buttons all around plus a front mounted light button.
Here is my DW-6900 on adapters. The normal bezel lettering has been blacked out with Testor's enamel matte black model paint.

The G-7900

I'm enlisting to the army in 3 months... Unfortunately it's a must here in Israel...

What is the most recommended watch for the army?
Most people here buy 6600 or 6900 before enlisting.
What are you recommending, going with one of these two, or get something else?

Sorry if this question is obvious or something, thank you :)

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
Green Rangeman!
couldnt think of anything worse! ...cept maybe a hypercolour lol
apart from the theme of army re: colour, that display really kills it as a practical watch.

pretty sure i mentioned it in one of those threads our resident thread hound mike k posted, gd350. big clear display, flat enough to go under cuffs and has a handy vibration alarm for stealth missions and what not.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I 3rd the 350.

Great negative display, one-touch countdown timer, vibration.

I wish I had this when I was in the Army.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I agree, somewhat, with Rocat. Same models, different versions.

The solar and atomic versions.

GW6900-1

Or the GW7900B-1
As much as I like atomic G-Shocks, how is the reception from the German and UK towers in Israel, where the OP is?

Based on Casio's own maps, I'm guessing that reception will be hit-and-miss at best (but I'd be happy to be wrong!)

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
Another vote for the GD-350, the silent vibe alarm is more useful than most other features. Just don't use the watch at night during combat or its super bright LED backlight gets you killed (unless you mod it as I did with mine). The G-7900 is still a great G and my second best recommendation. If you think that an ABC watch could come in handy, you should also have a look at the PRG-270, respectively GW-9400. But since atomic reception won't work in your part of the world anyway, a non-atomic/non-solar is actually the best way to go.

cheers

·
Registered
78 Posts
Boots don't need anything more complicated than a backlight or Glow, an alarm and an hourly chime. Any G-shock Square or even Timex Ironman should do the trick. For the extra $10 the G-shock a worthy purchase over the Timex.

If you want to get fancy, you're only limitation is something being too complicated to use quickly in the field or on firewatch.

בתחבולות תעשה לך מלחמה

·
Registered
208 Posts
Seriously consider a G9000 or GW9000 Mudman. All the features you could ever want. You may have to boil the bezel to soften it up but not necessary if you squeeze too activate instead of trying to push to activate a button. Neither of these picture are mine. I do own 1 GW and 2 G's. Rock solid.

71BQTDRaznL._UY550_.jpg 001.jpg

·
Registered
92 Posts
IMO, if u work wearing gloves avoid g with smaller buton like 6900 and 5600. get mudman or basic 9052 as the button is easier to access esp the adjust button. I work offshore so most of the time wearing impact gloves which are thick.

·
Registered
208 Posts
IMO, if u work wearing gloves avoid g with smaller buton like 6900 and 5600. get mudman or basic 9052 as the button is easier to access esp the adjust button. I work offshore so most of the time wearing impact gloves which are thick.

THIS is some solid advice. The 9052 is a brilliant choice.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
First thank you for serving! Am Yisrael Chai!
I was just at an army base in the north this summer and everyone had g-shocks of all kinds. Having a negative display is not important nor did I see one because all the soldiers have a cuff that goes over the watch face when they are on a mission.
I wonder if a model that can have no beeps when setting an alarm etc would be preferable...
Although I didn't see a lot of solar models I'd vote for a gw-6900 or a non solar gd-350.

Best
Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NRAchad

·
Registered
36,279 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
wow, I did not expect so many replies. Thank you so much guys :)
I've decided to go with either G-350 or G7900.
Is there any reason to go with the GD-350-1B instead of GD-350-8?
GD-350-8 is a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
918 Posts
wow, I did not expect so many replies. Thank you so much guys :)
I've decided to go with either G-350 or G7900.
Is there any reason to go with the GD-350-1B instead of GD-350-8?
GD-350-8 is a bit cheaper.
The GD350-1B has a negative display while the GD350-8 has a positive display. Choose the display that gives you the best visibility possible for the conditions you will encounter.

GD350-1B_xlarge.png GD350-8_xlarge.png

1 - 20 of 47 Posts