WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm going to be in Tokyo over the New Year's holiday, and, of course, was going to go check out some watches. However, I didn't think about all the awesome limited edition Japan-only watches that I should check out!

Is there a list of anything in particular that I should go see?

Got thinking about this after I saw this Bulgari Japan-only on Insta.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
36,381 Posts
Use the search engine here. Lots of threads on this subject.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I bought my very first mechanical watch in Tokyo at some random flea market -- a 60s (maybe 70s?) Citizen Parashock. I got it for $80, which actually ended up being a pretty good price for what it was. Unfortunately I got the watch bug AFTER I left the coveted horological Mecca that is Tokyo, but I can't wait to go back with a different set of eyes. Jealous of your upcoming trip and hope you see some gems!

young homer watch copy.png

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Personally I would buy Japaneses in Japan.

You can get a very nice JDM Citizen that are difficult to procure elsewhere. The "Washi" Chronomaster and Titanium blue Eco Drive One top the list.

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Personally I would buy Japanses in Japan.

You can get a very nice JDM Citizen that are difficult to procure elsware. The "Washi" Chronomaster and Titanium blue Eco Drive One top the list.
Yeah, I think this is a great thought. I usually keep up with the Grand Seikos, but other Japanese limited editions and JDMs are a great idea.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
You're going to be disappointed, OP.
There's nothing you can get in Japan that you can't get online AND if you can't get it online, it's sold out in Japan as well. Now it's a case of keeping an eye online for pre-orders and hope you get your money in before the next guy clicking his mouse - take the limited edition blue-dialled Seiko Alpinist as an example.
Maybe 20 years ago it was still possible to go over and buy a limited edition JDM that the Japanese didn't care to sell to foreigners. That's not the case now - Japanese are savvy to international customers and if it's not Seiko or Citizen themselves selling the Limited Edition overseas, it will be a watch store or flipper on Rakuten or eBay.

I've been travelling to Japan a lot in the past 20 years and about 4 of those was actually spent living there, so I've seen the changes myself over time.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You're going to be disappointed, OP.
There's nothing you can get in Japan that you can't get online AND if you can't get it online, it's sold out in Japan as well. Now it's a case of keeping an eye online for pre-orders and hope you get your money in before the next guy clicking his mouse - take the limited edition blue-dialled Seiko Alpinist as an example.
Maybe 20 years ago it was still possible to go over and buy a limited edition JDM that the Japanese didn't care to sell to foreigners. That's not the case now - Japanese are savvy to international customers and if it's not Seiko or Citizen themselves selling the Limited Edition overseas, it will be a watch store or flipper on Rakuten or eBay.

I've been travelling to Japan a lot in the past 20 years and about 4 of those was actually spent living there, so I've seen the changes myself over time.
Totally understand this. To be honest, I'm not in the market to buy (unless it's something fantastic!) I'm mostly curious to see what interesting things I can see that I can't in the US. I know Grand Seiko has quite a few novelties that are only available in Japan, as well as the Omega Olympics. I was surprised by the Bulgari, which got me thinking that there must be much more as well.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
I used to think Grand Seiko were the best finished watches until I got a Minase Divido. Not common get outside of Japan

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Actually the Germans supposedly quite like Minase. Specifically the Horizon. At least that's what their AD in Switzerland told me. Minase has a different style of finish, but I agree that their attention to detail and finish rival Seiko's (I actually think Credor's finishing is better than GS based on the ones I've seen and handled. Credor actually has some pretty flamboyant watches too that are probably a bit more flamboyant than GS's).

Attachments

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
One thing I found off-putting about the Minase Divido - between the strap and bracelet version is a $1000 difference.

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
One thing I found off-putting about the Minase Divido - between the strap and bracelet version is a $1000 difference.
When you see the amount of and level of polishing on each of the many links, even on the sides that you can't see as they are facing another link, you start to see the difference in price. There really is a lot of handiwork in the watch in areas you would never see. It's not too dissimilar to how the high end brands will decorate all the pieces of their movement and then put a solid caseback so you'll never see it. And each link is multiple pieces. It's a real pain even for my watchmaker to install new links until he figured out how it goes. Then it was just a pain.

I asked the AD as well about the price difference as I was a bit dubious at first. But when you see the bracelet you understand.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts