WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the sweet spot in terms of lug width on a dress/casual watch that's 42mm in diameter ? 20mm or 22mm ? Does it even matter ? I see lot's of both and was just curious what you guys think.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I lean towards slightly smaller bands, but I don't think the difference matters too much on a 42mm watch case. A 22mm band may more appropriate for a diver but in general I would still prefer a 20mm, especially if it was a dressier/casual watch.

·
Registered
741 Posts
The wider the lugs, the more room for some beautiful leather :) so I like 22mm.

·
Premium Member
40,679 Posts
Depends on the watch and lug style, but I tend to prefer diameter / 2 rounded up to the nearest even number.

Reactions: wtma

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
BEST? is really subjective to the individual, given the size you mentioned! personally a 20mm would be nice, nice balance for the size. I have 47mm watches with 21mm lugs and for me it is the "sweet spot" although on those particular watches a 22mm would also be nice but no bigger, I like a watch to be like a portrait the watch being the subject and the strap to be the matting and frame, combined and done nicely compliment each other in perfect unison.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. Interesting. I was looking at a Seiko Presage and it seems like they like to put 20mm bracelets/straps on the 42mm ones which seemed odd everytime i looked at them. I even have 40mm watches with 22mm straps that look good. Might have to keep looking for a suitable 22mm.

Seiko.jpg

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Depends...i had a 42mm Archimede pilot that had 20mm lugs which I think just made the case look even bigger. Made it more "dinner plate" looking on my wrist.

I dont ever say never anymore with watch dimensions as every watch wears differently.

But from experience, I would expect 22mm lugs on a 42mm and up watch. Under 42 to 37, I prefer seeing 20mm due to my current inventory of 20mm aftermarket straps!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Tough call depends a lot on the watch, specifically the style of watch. I would say either will work well but at 42mm maybe 20mm lug is better suited for most styles of watches? If we are talking tool or dive watches I would go 22 though. Anything above 42 I would definitely say 22mm however.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I posted earlier but I agree with @SHANE 1000 and find his response even more worthy of consideration since he is also a strap maker.

Personally I do not like the strap to overpower the watch, and at a certain point a larger width can interfere with comfort, particularly when wearing your watch in a hot and humid climate. But I certainly agree it is all about personal taste in the end. For example I have a Timex weekender which I occasionally wear and enjoy, but it is a fairly small watch with a 20mm band which often appears too large at first glance. I think a 18mm would have been a better choice, but it still works.

As a nobody consumer I obviously do not dictate what watch makers choose in their designs, but given a choice I might prefer that watches <40mm use 18mm straps, 40mm/42mm watches use 20mm straps, and 44/46mm use 22mm straps.

·
Premium Member
9,474 Posts
From what I've seen, the vast majority of watches have lug width as 1/2 the case size, subject to:

a) lug width is always an integer, so a 43 case will have 22 lugs, not 21.5
b) odd lug widths (17,19,21) are uncommon in both commercial pre-made and even many made-to-order. I'd say they usually go slightly wider more often, so the 42 case gets 22 lugs more often than 20. 23 and 25 straps are QUITE hard to find.

So 38-41 will most often have 20 lugs; 42-45 will have 22, because 45/2 is 22.5. 23 is a pain; 24 would be QUITE wide. So 22 would be the norm.

This won't necessarily hold true for small ladies' cases, as the strap could get too skinny, but I can't say I've ever really looked.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I personally like 22mm lugs on a 42mm Diver. But I could also see 20mm lugs on a dress watch non diver. Alas for me my dress watches are all divers..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts