WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Speedmaster experts: Impart your knowledge on me. I would like to begin looking for a Speedmaster. Manual wind. 40mm or under case size. Any great resources to look into all the various models? I’ve searched a bit and not gotten anything great yet. Also with prices on these continuing to rise, I am unsure if I will be able to find one I can afford.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys those are both solid selections for sure. I really do like that classic 57 recreation. There are a lot of speedies out there. Do we believe prices will keep rising?

·
Premium Member
10,487 Posts
To the moon.

·
Registered
right now, Omega Planet Ocean 2500 (best one IMO)
1,216 Posts
the Speedmaster reduced is a good looking watch and its just under 40mm. its an automatic but would fit into most budgets.
looks nearly the same as a speedy pro but a bit smaller and loads cheaper.
I've had both the pro and the reduced. i like the larger case but a good example will cost you 4k+ where the reduced is in the 2k ballpark.
pic from google search:

Watch Analog watch Product Black Clock

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think the FOIS is the only manual Speedmaster under 40mm and under $10k afik

you might be able to find a 1957 Trilogy Speedmaster for $9k

why manual only?

for ~40mm I like the Racing Co-Axial 40mm. Column wheel, Si balance spring, 100m water resistance, larger subdials

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the Speedmaster reduced is a good looking watch and its just under 40mm. its an automatic but would fit into most budgets.
looks nearly the same as a speedy pro but a bit smaller and loads cheaper.
I've had both the pro and the reduced. i like the larger case but a good example will cost you 4k+ where the reduced is in the 2k ballpark.
pic from google search:

View attachment 16365256
I might have to consider the reduced at that price. Thanks

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think the FOIS is the only manual Speedmaster under 40mm and under $10k afik

you might be able to find a 1957 Trilogy Speedmaster for $9k

why manual only?

for ~40mm I like the Racing Co-Axial 40mm. Column wheel, Si balance spring, 100m water resistance, larger subdials
Honestly the racing 40mm has been on my radar. I do like them and I very much appreciate George Daniel’s co-axial escapement. I can’t argue with the specs. I am still considering it actually. Are the automatic versions much thicker? I tend to go for manual wind due to simplicity and thinness

·
Registered
92 Posts
Honestly the racing 40mm has been on my radar. I do like them and I very much appreciate George Daniel’s co-axial escapement. I can’t argue with the specs. I am still considering it actually. Are the automatic versions much thicker? I tend to go for manual wind due to simplicity and thinness
The 1861 watches are 13.5-14mm

The CoAxial Racing 40mm are 15mm

Depends on who you ask on how much of a difference 1mm makes in case+glass thickness

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The 1861 watches are 13.5-14mm

The CoAxial Racing 40mm are 15mm

Depends on who you ask on how much of a difference 1mm makes in case+glass thickness
1mm can def make a difference, but honestly I will have to see how they wear. Gonna try some on at my local AD. Also another note on auto v manual: I had a seiko snk (I know not an omega) where the automatic winding rotor disconnected, so I typically go for manual wind so as to have 1 less complication to go wrong.

·
Registered
253 Posts
As an owner of Speedy Professional, a FOIS and a 40mm Racing Co-axial, believe me all the watches seem having the same height on wrist.
The racing model seems thinner than 15mm, but wears more sport than the FOIS.

Watch Hand Azure Analog watch Gesture

The FOIS is the more elegant and classic in my eyes.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As an owner of Speedy Professional, a FOIS and a 40mm Racing Co-axial, believe me all the watches seem having the same height on wrist.
The racing model seems thinner than 15mm, but wears more sport than the FOIS
Thanks for sharing your perspective. Are they all comfortable for daily wear?

·
Registered
253 Posts
All of them are comfortable for daily wear.
The racing co-axial has one of the greatest bracelets i have ever tried. It may be more comfortable for a daily use, as an automatic, having a date, 100m water resistance and a nice bracelet-no leather strap.

But, if you can have only one model, i would propose the FOIS for many reasons,... more elegant and future classic, 1861cal manual wind, pre-moon case, numbered and no available edition...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts