WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had any insight on this. What do you think is the best way to ship a watch to Europe for repair?
I have to ship a nearly new watch that's worth $1,500.00 back to Glycine. I did some comparisons in the U.S. Postal Service site and discovered that there are not many options.
Most of the International rate packages either do not have insurance or are limited to $650.00 maximum insurance.
I used 1 lb. as a standard and figured it could be well-packed and shipped either in an envelope or small box. Here's what I found when I did this comparison on the USPS website:

U.S. Postal Service - 1 lb. Envelope to Switzerland:
  • Priority Mail Int'l Envelope (can insure up to $650.00 only): $35.55 (w/ $650.00 insurance)
  • Express Mail International Flat Rate Envelope: $31.40 (w/ max insurance allowable of $650.00)
  • Express Mail International envelope: $31.40 (w/ max insurance allowable of $650.00)
  • Global Express Guaranteed envelope: $47.95 (w/ $650.00 insurance; $55.95 w/$1,500.00 insurance)
U.S. Postal Service - 1 lb. Package to Switzerland:
  • Priority Mail International Flat Rate Box: $51.00 (w/ max $650.00 insurance)
  • Priority Mail Internatoinal: $35.55 (w/ max $650.00 insurance)
  • Express Mail International: $35.95 (w/ max $650.00 insurance)
  • Global Express Guaranteed (12x7x1 box): $81.00 (w/ $1,500.00 insurance)
FedEx - 1 lb. Package to Switzerland:
FedEx International Economy: $79.70 (w/ $1,500.00 declared value).

So my only two realistic options are USPS Global Express Envelope at $55.95 or Global Express Package at $81.00, both with the $1,500.00 insurance.

This price seems fairly outrageous to me -- when I buy watches from overseas, the shipping is usually much less on incoming.

Am I missing something here? How do WUSers mail their watches around the world with insurance? What's the best/cheapest method?

Thanks...

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
I was wondering if anyone had any insight on this. What do you think is the best way to ship a watch to Europe for repair?
I have to ship a nearly new watch that's worth $1,500.00 back to Glycine. I did some comparisons in the U.S. Postal Service site and discovered that there are not many options.
Most of the International rate packages either do not have insurance or are limited to $650.00 maximum insurance.
I used 1 lb. as a standard and figured it could be well-packed and shipped either in an envelope or small box. Here's what I found when I did this comparison on the USPS website:

U.S. Postal Service - 1 lb. Envelope to Switzerland:
  • Priority Mail Int'l Envelope (can insure up to $650.00 only): $35.55 (w/ $650.00 insurance)
  • Express Mail International Flat Rate Envelope: $31.40 (w/ max insurance allowable of $650.00)
  • Express Mail International envelope: $31.40 (w/ max insurance allowable of $650.00)
  • Global Express Guaranteed envelope: $47.95 (w/ $650.00 insurance; $55.95 w/$1,500.00 insurance)
U.S. Postal Service - 1 lb. Package to Switzerland:
  • Priority Mail International Flat Rate Box: $51.00 (w/ max $650.00 insurance)
  • Priority Mail Internatoinal: $35.55 (w/ max $650.00 insurance)
  • Express Mail International: $35.95 (w/ max $650.00 insurance)
  • Global Express Guaranteed (12x7x1 box): $81.00 (w/ $1,500.00 insurance)
FedEx - 1 lb. Package to Switzerland:
FedEx International Economy: $79.70 (w/ $1,500.00 declared value).

So my only two realistic options are USPS Global Express Envelope at $55.95 or Global Express Package at $81.00, both with the $1,500.00 insurance.

This price seems fairly outrageous to me -- when I buy watches from overseas, the shipping is usually much less on incoming.

Am I missing something here? How do WUSers mail their watches around the world with insurance? What's the best/cheapest method?

Thanks...
If you buy new from overseas, then the vendor probably has a commercial account with a courier service in which case the shipping is cheaper. Over the counter prices for shipping are pretty much in line with what you found.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's an update: I finally got to the Post Office today and shipped the watch. It was more expensive than I thought: $55.96 for an 8 oz. package that I weighed at 7.125 oz. on a very accurate scale. Apparently, they round up to the next ounce.

It was shipped Global Express Guaranteed, which is actually handled by FedEx under contract to the U.S. Postal Service (USPS). It is scheduled to arrive in Biel (Bienne) on Monday, May 4, which is great, but an unnecessary rush.

I packed it in a paper towel, inside a sealed plastic baggie, along with the warranty card (why we still need printed warranty cards in 2009 is definitely a question).

I wrapped it several times in bubble wrap, then put my letter to Glycine on it, then wrapped it some more. Then I sealed it in a Tyvek envelope, then put the envelope inside the Tyvek Global Express envelope.

Couple of tips: First, although I have a USPS "Click and Ship" business account, I couldn't buy the $1,500.00 worth of insurance online; that must be done at the Post Office.

The Postal clerk said he thought the limit was $200.00 online to avoid scams (they need to physically accept the package to make sure someone isn't buying insurance on a non-existing package).

But in any case, Click and Ship wouldn't spit out the correct mailing label and customs forms, so I had to end up going to the Post Office, which cost 10% more than the Click and Ship discount.

I'll track it and see if it arrives in Biel on Monday, and then I have no idea how long it will take for the repairs (wore it twice and the stem and crown no longer work, so can't wind it).

·
Registered
321 Posts
Here's an update: I finally got to the Post Office today and shipped the watch. It was more expensive than I thought: $55.96 for an 8 oz. package that I weighed at 7.125 oz. on a very accurate scale. Apparently, they round up to the next ounce.

It was shipped Global Express Guaranteed, which is actually handled by FedEx under contract to the U.S. Postal Service (USPS). It is scheduled to arrive in Biel (Bienne) on Monday, May 4, which is great, but an unnecessary rush.

I packed it in a paper towel, inside a sealed plastic baggie, along with the warranty card (why we still need printed warranty cards in 2009 is definitely a question).

I wrapped it several times in bubble wrap, then put my letter to Glycine on it, then wrapped it some more. Then I sealed it in a Tyvek envelope, then put the envelope inside the Tyvek Global Express envelope.

Couple of tips: First, although I have a USPS "Click and Ship" business account, I couldn't buy the $1,500.00 worth of insurance online; that must be done at the Post Office.

The Postal clerk said he thought the limit was $200.00 online to avoid scams (they need to physically accept the package to make sure someone isn't buying insurance on a non-existing package).

But in any case, Click and Ship wouldn't spit out the correct mailing label and customs forms, so I had to end up going to the Post Office, which cost 10% more than the Click and Ship discount.

I'll track it and see if it arrives in Biel on Monday, and then I have no idea how long it will take for the repairs (wore it twice and the stem and crown no longer work, so can't wind it).
I'm a little confused. You said it cost more than you thought, but the price you quote is identical to the GEG Envelope price you quote (or at least within one cent) and less than the GEG box price.

Also, if you ensure your watches under an "all casualty" policy or rider, do you even need the additional insurance from the carrier? I've never read my policies for that issue. But it would be a great bonus if you could just waive the shipping insurance.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm a little confused. You said it cost more than you thought, but the price you quote is identical to the GEG Envelope price you quote (or at least within one cent) and less than the GEG box price.

Also, if you ensure your watches under an "all casualty" policy or rider, do you even need the additional insurance from the carrier? I've never read my policies for that issue. But it would be a great bonus if you could just waive the shipping insurance.
Sorry, I should have made this clear. The original estimate for the costs was based on a 1 lb. package, as noted in my origional post. But the actual package ended up at only 8 oz. , yet it cost about the same as the 1 lb. shipping weight I originally estimated on the USPS website.

So the per-pound rate was nearly twice what I originally estimated - very expensive! The Post Office charges by the ounce.

Re. the insurance, it would be nice to waive the insurance, but the carriers have a minimum insurance, in this case I believe the basic insurance is $100.00 if you don't select anything higher.

Since it's a nearly $1,500.00 watch, if I didn't insure it and it got lost, I'd be out. It's a gamble I guess.

But with my luck, if I didn't insure it to save the $40.00 or so, sure as anything the package would get lost and I'd be out the money!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Sorry, I should have made this clear. The original estimate for the costs was based on a 1 lb. package, as noted in my origional post. But the actual package ended up at only 8 oz. , yet it cost about the same as the 1 lb. shipping weight I originally estimated on the USPS website.

So the per-pound rate was nearly twice what I originally estimated - very expensive! The Post Office charges by the ounce.

Re. the insurance, it would be nice to waive the insurance, but the carriers have a minimum insurance, in this case I believe the basic insurance is $100.00 if you don't select anything higher.

Since it's a nearly $1,500.00 watch, if I didn't insure it and it got lost, I'd be out. It's a gamble I guess.

But with my luck, if I didn't insure it to save the $40.00 or so, sure as anything the package would get lost and I'd be out the money!
Sorry, I guess I missed the estimate was 1lb.

My point was if you are already insured against all casualty (by private insurance on the watch, not the shipment), including loss, I wonder if you can't simply take the minimum required by the post as you would not file your claim with them, only with the personal property policy.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, I guess I missed the estimate was 1lb.

My point was if you are already insured against all casualty (by private insurance on the watch, not the shipment), including loss, I wonder if you can't simply take the minimum required by the post as you would not file your claim with them, only with the personal property policy.
Interesting idea....though I doubt very much that a home or household/personal property insurance policy would cover a postal shipment; perhaps there are WUS insurance experts who can tell us for sure?

J

·
0 Posts
Always register it . That way it is signed for at every step of the way. I have never lost a registered package.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts