WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Nomos (Lambda is beautiful, albeit really expensive for what it is).

Modern Vulcain.
vulcain-aviator-dual-time-trophy-watch-3.jpg
Modern JLC - Master Control, Master Memovox, and their newest, crazy creations (this freakingly thin minute repeater tourbillon is bananas!)
Jaeger-LeCoultre+Master+Ultra+Thin+Minute+Repeater+Flying+Tourbillon+SIHH+2014+%u002525283%2529.jpg
Rolex. Timeless is always current.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
What do you mean by "modern design"?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
"there are still a number of shining examples around today, ones that echo the past and ones that break new ground but don’t break the rules of good taste"

This falls in the former category:

(not my picture, but one of the best of this watch I've ever seen. Kudos to whoever took it, as it helped with my decision)

Attachments

·
Registered
420 Posts
What do you mean by "modern design"?
Judging from those ten cars, we're looking for design that's emphatically contemporary, one that couldn't be made before the present day, and one that's on the cutting edge both stylistically and functionally without being too advanced so as to scare off buyers. So it has to feel natural yet new I suppose.

However, even though retro is very much the name of the game here, retro is the antithesis of modern: modern has to be focused on innovation, looking into the future, and it has to have a purpose in making a better product for the consumer based on these premises.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Judging from those ten cars, we're looking for design that's emphatically contemporary, one that couldn't be made before the present day, and one that's on the cutting edge both stylistically and functionally without being too advanced so as to scare off buyers. So it has to feel natural yet new I suppose.

However, even though retro is very much the name of the game here, retro is the antithesis of modern: modern has to be focused on innovation, looking into the future, and it has to have a purpose in making a better product for the consumer based on these premises.
anything comes to mind?

·
Registered
420 Posts
anything comes to mind?
I don't have a good enough overview of the current watch market, nor of the history of watch design; I'll go though my collection of pictures in the evening to suggest a few examples that fit the bill. I suppose one design like that was that dot-matrix radio-controlled Seiko that everybody loves, but then again, that thing's been around for five years at the least. But it was definitely very modern at the time of its release, so to me, it's worth mentioning.

Oh yeah, one more thing: it would be easy to say that the only modern design is a solar-powered, capacitor-backed digital watch (accurate, easy to read, months of autonomy, very little to break down, essentially maintenance free). I think to get anything meaningful out of the discussion, the realities of the "watch universe" should be considered, but even a mechanical chronograph may be a simple reissue (very non-modern) or a product at which the designers worked hard in order for it to make sense in the present moment, if you know what I meean.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
I'm not sure what a "Modern Design" is...Solar, quartz?
I would say the Rolex GMT, maybe, it was the first GMT watch.
Or is it too old to be "Modern"....I'm confused...:-s

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Perfect list. you can add to it but not take away

Nomos (Lambda is beautiful, albeit really expensive for what it is).

Modern Vulcain.
View attachment 1540465
Modern JLC - Master Control, Master Memovox, and their newest, crazy creations (this freakingly thin minute repeater tourbillon is bananas!)
View attachment 1540467
Rolex. Timeless is always current.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
I'm not sure what a "Modern Design" is...Solar, quartz?
I would say the Rolex GMT, maybe, it was the first GMT watch.
Or is it too old to be "Modern"....I'm confused...:-s
still modern. I would say that the GMT would qualify as it is still a top seller.

Even though I am no longer a fan of chronographs, the Daytona, and Speedmaster would be up there as well.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't have a good enough overview of the current watch market, nor of the history of watch design; I'll go though my collection of pictures in the evening to suggest a few examples that fit the bill. I suppose one design like that was that dot-matrix radio-controlled Seiko that everybody loves, but then again, that thing's been around for five years at the least. But it was definitely very modern at the time of its release, so to me, it's worth mentioning.

Oh yeah, one more thing: it would be easy to say that the only modern design is a solar-powered, capacitor-backed digital watch (accurate, easy to read, months of autonomy, very little to break down, essentially maintenance free). I think to get anything meaningful out of the discussion, the realities of the "watch universe" should be considered, but even a mechanical chronograph may be a simple reissue (very non-modern) or a product at which the designers worked hard in order for it to make sense in the present moment, if you know what I meean.
brings to mind this:
uploadfromtaptalk1403701810256.jpg

and the seiko astron

·
Registered
202 Posts
AT 8500? to me it looks modern but not tacky (classic?). with the teak dial and sharp hour markers, it is pretty different among other watches. they hit the spot on this one IMO.

(old picture, will be posting new ones when im back home)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 55 Posts