WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s a nice Swiss watch that you’re not worried about wearing daily and scuffing against a wall every once in a while?

I had an Omega Planet Ocean and I found a tiny tiny scratch in the AR coating... made me not wanna wear it every day...

Had a very nice Invica with thick sapphire and ETA movement... it fell from table height and instantly died. Stopped working and acts up and just pretty became a paper weight.

Had a Tag which lost the crown all of a sudden with no sign of where it fell... made me VERY uncomfortable to wear it on daily basis.

All my Beaters have become G Shocks. Great watches but I really want a nice automatic, sapphire that I’m not worried about wearing.

I never had a Damasko but from what I understand, their cases and even AR coating is hardened and can take serious abuse... which other “nice” watches can take a beating and not complain?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Mine is a SBDX017 Marinemaster 300. Although its not sapphire, its everything else you could want, and with the diashield coating it always looks great! Not the cheapest beater around but it fits the build and takes a beating!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Mine’s a SKX007 with a sapphire crystal installed. Pretty small investment and pretty bulletproof watch.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Sounds like your "Swiss" watches aren't as reliable as your Japanese watches. Damasko isn't Swiss either.

Plenty of folks will wear a PO or Sub as a daily driver or beater, it really depends on your comfort level. You didn't specify what price point you were looking at for reliable Swiss beaters, but a Steinhart Ocean is probably a good start.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I've got two beater watches, but neither has a single scuff or scratch. Not on purpose, just seems that I'm not rough on things.

Ninja Turtle and a Halios Seaforth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
12,103 Posts
My Tudor Heritage Black Bay 36 (with a lot of scratches).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
]You didn't specify what price point you were looking at for reliable Swiss beaters
You're right... I didn't specify much at all.
I love big watches, 43 minumum up to 46, 47mm
I like eligibility of easy read
If we can keep it under $3k, that'd be great... new or used, since this magical "beater" doesn't show abuse very easily :)

I recently acquired Breitling 46mm Heritage II in Blue and mesh bracelet... and I love it! It has a lot of what I love about a watch

IMG_3938.jpg

Reactions: ajbutler13

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
You said Swiss... but, then said a not Swiss watch (Damasko). So, I'd submit Sinn for consideration.

For Swiss, I'm considering a Pelagos for my knock-around watch.

Reactions: SeanoftheDead516

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My Tudor Heritage Black Bay 36 (with a lot of scratches).
I guess that's another way to think about it! I pick any watch to make it my "beater" and stop polishing scratches off... once it has lots of scratches, then it won't get any more scratched lol

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You said Swiss... but, then said a not Swiss watch (Damasko). So, I'd submit Sinn for consideration.

For Swiss, I'm considering a Pelagos for my knock-around watch.
my bad... I don't really care if it's Swiss, German, US or China... I meant "high quality" where I'm proud of it on my wrist and feel that it's a luxury, high precision piece .

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
my bad... I don't really care if it's Swiss, German, US or China... I meant "high quality" where I'm proud of it on my wrist and feel that it's a luxury, high precision piece .
In that case it would be my Hamilton Khaki but would still have some concern about scratching it up in a bad situation.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
In that case it would be my Hamilton Khaki but would still have some concern about scratching it up in a bad situation.

·
Registered
625 Posts
My best beater has turned out to be my blue Mako II on the stock bracelet. From six feet away, you can't tell it from a top-of-the-line Invicta. I also sometimes use a Special Edition Vostok Amphibian. Those are great 'cause you can easily polish scratches out of the crystal. Sure, you have to spend $40.00 more for the Special Edition, but the exclusivity distinguishes you from the average Joe.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you are willing to go up to $3k, a pre-owned Tudor Pelagos is my go-to.
I've had my eye on a blue Pelagos for a while... wish it was 44 or 45 not 42mm... 42 feels tiny when I wear it.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wouldn’t that be your beater for $3k and under? It should be able to handle rough treatment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think so... too shiny, too nice... Never had a Breitling before, is it tough?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oris ProPilot Big Day Date is 45mm and pretty tough. I think there's a GMT variant too. A cool looking blue one was announced at Basel this year.

I like it! I love Oris too... I'll look into it, thanks!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts