WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently came down with the watch bug, and looking to add a dress diver to the roster - something in the sub-$1000 range.

Lots of options in this price point, but it seems like much of what I'm seeing are submariner homages. Nothing against homage watches, I'm just looking for something unique that still ticks all the boxes for a good dress diver. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Recently came down with the watch bug, and looking to add a dress diver to the roster - something in the sub-$1000 range.

Lots of options in this price point, but it seems like much of what I'm seeing are submariner homages. Nothing against homage watches, I'm just looking for something unique that still ticks all the boxes for a good dress diver. Any suggestions?
do you want to avoid sub homages, or all homages?

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
The Oris Aquis can be had from the grey market just over and under your budget (give or take $75) and is available in multiple dial colors and on bracelet or rubber. Would be my choice for a ~1K diver.

oris-aquis-date-43-mm-steel-mens-watch-733-7653-4154mb-7.jpg

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
The best 'original' designs I can think of in that price range are Oris Aquis and Diver Date, Victorinox Divemaster 500 auto, Tissot Seastar 1000 auto, Citizen Autozilla, and Orient Pro Saturation Diver.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I'd recommend a used one of these:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Longines Hydroconquest on the upper end of the budget, Seiko SKX on the lower end of the budget. You could easily get three SKXs and a host of straps for under $1000.

-hayday

Seiko SKX009 Pepsi bezel:

SeikoSKX.jpg

·
Registered
634 Posts
Can one get a used Longines legend diver around $1k? If yes, then THAT would be the one IMHO.

Otherwise, Longines Hydroconquest or Stowa Pro Diver would be my pick:
Borrowed pic from Joma:
I like this suggestion. You might also have a look at Hamilton Seaview. Or, for example, Citizen VO10-6841T. If they suit your definition of "dress", that is. ;-)

·
Registered
2,545 Posts

Maybe we should better understand what you mean by non-homage, because 75% of the watches shown here look like others that cost 5X - 10X as much.

Reactions: A4VC and poppo

·
Registered
614 Posts
I like this suggestion. You might also have a look at Hamilton Seaview. Or, for example, Citizen VO10-6841T. If they suit your definition of "dress", that is. ;-)
Thirded.

These can be had almost right at $1000 street price. I had the last generation model and found it to be a terrific bang for the buck. The newer gen comes with the 2892 movement. Just because of the way Swatch is positioning Longines and their continued usage of ETA movements, I feel like the brand is about where Omega was 15 years ago in terms of offering value, although of course Omega I think started with a higher caliber ETA movement and decorated theirs more extensively.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts