WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
34701 - 34720 of 34937 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
So the Steeldive SD1953 is less than $90, and the Ginault is over $1000. That is a major price jump, and you leapt right over the ~$500 Steinharts. To some extent, you get what you pay for, but each price jump rewards you with smaller improvements (diminishing returns). Is a Steinhart twice as good as a Cronos? Is the Ginault ten times as good as the Steeldive?
We are in agreement on all counts. Again, quality asserts itself the higher up the price scale you go until it is all but impossible to take it any/much further so, given that, the Ginault is about as perfect as you can get.. I just purchased one and I have NEVER felt a bezel action like it----- It is that good and all but impossible to articulate its highly accurate smoothness----not only the action but virtually every facet about the watch. In short, it is as I said ":the Best"!!!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I’ve only handled Tisell and the San Martin personally, although I’ve shopped Cronos and Sugess extensively. I’m happy enough with Tisell to buy another (Marine Diver followed by 116710LN homage GMT), I sold my San Martin even after multiple attempts to make it better.

My Tisell bezels are fine. The GMT is slightly flawed (the bezel can be “depressed” into the case of the watch, not rock solid on the case) but the alignment is better than San Martin.

(Full disclosure: my Tisell is direct from Korea and San Martin is thru Taobao not AliX. I don’t know whether Mr Liu practices “export quality” on AliX sales, but I feel Tisell’s EU supplier somehow got worse quality watches than buying direct form Mr Oh)

Hands lume is the major dilemma on Tisell watches. I think in theory, I can buy a third party set of Mercedes hands and replace them on the Tisells, but the stock Tisell hands have some pretty bevelling that the other homages (or even Rolex themselves) have that I really like.

I feel my affinity for Tisell is because they’re willing to go closer to being a clone (clomage) than San Martin/Cronos/Sugess. They made changes to the Rolex designs that I do not agree with.

The only Chinese watch house whose unique designs I agree with is Merkur. They don’t make submariner/GMT Master-II homages though.

I am considering the merits of a Sugess GMT 298.8US $ 55% OFF|Sugess 2021 Gmt Automatic Mechanical Men Waterproof Watches Diving Dandong 28800 Beat Movement Sapphire Luminous Ceramic Bezel - Mechanical Wristwatches - AliExpress (funny enough it’s not on Taobao) but I want to see more reviews first
You have some interesting points. First, I have never purchased from Taobao so I have no clue what to expect from them vs. AliX. Second, my friend purchased his Tisell directly from Mr. Oh. Concerning Tisell, I do not want you or anyone to think I do not like the Tisell (sub diver or the vintage submersible) I certainly do but the sub diver is old enough that I think it needs to be revisited and refreshened by Mr. Oh. The unidirectional bezel on the example I am familiar with is nothing short of semi-terrible! Same w/the very mediocre lume but in spite of these less than desirable attributes, there are facets of the Tisell that I still like but in today's market, I do not think it is the value it once was. Lastly, it is virtually impossible to compare a Ginault to the subs being discussed here simply because of the price differential-------- they simply are not in the same league-----the Ginault is that good. If you have an extra $1K lying around try the Silent Service and see for yourself. Be aware, the Silent Service is not a clone but but more of a modern interpretation/evolution of the submariner (call it the next generation if you will).

·
Registered
947 Posts
I used to scoff at San Martin because they were so much more expensive than the comparible watches on AliEx. I only decided to buy one because they came out with this mother of pearl dial. Now I know why they're so highly regarded and I realize now, that they're absolute bargains. I seriously cannot believe the quality and build on them. Absolutely no play in the bezel and the bracelet is only second to my Rolex out of all the watches I own. The tolerances are incredible, as the bracelet makes no sound and have no distinguishable gaps. It's made me not want to buy anything more expensive and gets a lot of wrist time.

Watch Analog watch Clock Finger Wrist

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Hi everyone, it's been a long time I haven't been looking for watches on AliX, but I feel like buying a new one these days. I need you, who have followed all the news :)

--> Is there a 38mm (or less) Omega Aqua Terra homage, or are there still only 40mm versions ?
--> Is there a decent MoonSwatch homage ? All I can find is fakes fakes fakes. A nicely colored plastic watch with a velcro strap could be nice for the summer I guess, but not at 250€...

Thanks in advance :)
Imagine this is out of price range that you're looking for, but this looks like a fun watch. You just missed a sale, unfortunately. Triwa. They also have a field model. They are made from recycled ocean plastics.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
There are a few more beyond those listed, and now there are 2022 versions coming out with the colorful, sunburst dials.

Discontinued 39mm Guanqin - Only Two-Tone versions still for sale

38mm Tritium - White/Blue/Black - ST2130

35mm Quartz Casio Edifice
That Casio looks very interesting with that diameter, thanks for the info !

With all the smaller Explorer, DateJust etc homages coming out, I’m quietly hoping for a 38-39mm Aqua Terra with extra lume and a 12mm thick case… too much to ask
Fingers crossed !

Imagine this is out of price range that you're looking for, but this looks like a fun watch. You just missed a sale, unfortunately. Triwa. They also have a field model. They are made from recycled ocean plastics.

Yes, I've seen this one, it's actually interesting, but indeed it's a bit overpriced for a plastic watch. And the best you can do i you want to save the planet is not buying watches at all, so I guess it's a bit of a marketing thing...

Anyway, I will keep watching for small vintage watches then :p

Reactions: hanshananigan

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Hi everyone, it's been a long time I haven't been looking for watches on AliX, but I feel like buying a new one these days. I need you, who have followed all the news :)

--> Is there a 38mm (or less) Omega Aqua Terra homage, or are there still only 40mm versions ?
--> Is there a decent MoonSwatch homage ? All I can find is fakes fakes fakes. A nicely colored plastic watch with a velcro strap could be nice for the summer I guess, but not at 250€...

Thanks in advance :)
A Seagull-branded (I believe falsely) version came out about 5 years ago that was pretty solid although with poor lume. Maybe try WTB on the sales forum. They were about $120 I think.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Believe me, I’m looking forward to this one to. Been waiting for this to drop for a while now and I really hope they took the best from what they have learned from the Sub300 and used it to build this model.
the white dial watch I posted a picture of, was sent to me from Seestern. So, if the QC is as spot on as the picture suggests, I’ll be very pleased.

If only they had made female end links. It probably won’t be a problem for my wrist but my guess is, that this is not a watch for people with small wrist or very round wrists.

·
Registered
61 Posts

Quick question. Version with digits has got Sapphire written on the dial. Version without digits hasn't. Any idea if both have got Sapphire?

Edit: Looking at YouTube videos, it seems that only the one with digits has got Sapphire. The other one hasn't.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts

Quick question. Version with digits has got Sapphire written on the dial. Version without digits hasn't. Any idea if both have got Sapphire?

Edit: Looking at YouTube videos, it seems that only the one with digits has got Sapphire. The other one hasn't.
The Mondaine homage DOES NOT have sapphire, for some reason. Most of the listings note this up front. Notice the pictures states "Mineral glass with Sapphire Coating". I don't think mine even has a sapphire coating, but I bought it over 3 years ago.

There are sapphire nano coating products you can buy to give your mineral crystals (and smartphone screens) a modicum of extra protection, but I can't say how well they actually work. They aren't a real substitute for a solid piece of synthetic sapphire. Invicta's infamous "FlameFusion" crystals use a plasma vapor deposit system to fuse a thin layer of synthetic sapphire to a hardened mineral crystal, but they don't get high marks compared to real sapphire crystals. Seiko had laminated sapphire onto their Hardlex crystal to create "Saphlex", but they were prone to delamination which FlameFusion was touted to solve.

Watch Analog watch Clock Font Watch accessory

·
Registered
Quartz addict
1,013 Posts

If the sapphire is a dealbreaker give it a miss, but it's a lovely watch for the price. I opted for the baton dial.
Watch Analog watch Clock Grey Watch accessory

·
Registered
61 Posts
The Mondaine homage DOES NOT have sapphire, for some reason. Most of the listings note this up front. Notice the pictures states "Mineral glass with Sapphire Coating". I don't think mine even has a sapphire coating, but I bought it over 3 years ago.
Thank you for the answer. I went for the one with digits. First of all, I've already got Casio that looks quite similar like the one without digits. Secondly it seems like that version has got sapphire. It has got Sapphire written on the dial, on the back and in the description.
Watch Photograph White Light Analog watch

·
Premium Member
Affordables
8,142 Posts
The dial hands/indices and bezel look terrific unfortunately that case with integrated lug bars looks quite uncomfortable and restricts to only Nato straps... It is very surprising I don't think I've seen it before, is it taken from a real Tudor model??

·
Registered
50 Posts
The dial hands/indices and bezel look terrific unfortunately that case with integrated lug bars looks quite uncomfortable and restricts to only Nato straps... It is very surprising I don't think I've seen it before, is it taken from a real Tudor model??
This is aping the Tudor FXD.
I wonder if the lug to lug is shorter on the Frog compared to the Tudor.

34701 - 34720 of 34937 Posts