WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody and HAPPY NEW YEAR 2014.
Hope that you all have a wonderful and prosperous year ahead.
I have always wondered what is better or should I say cheaper to purchase a Rolex in the States say or in Switzerland where they come from??
We are going to be visiting Switzerland next month ( a bit guttered that I will not be there for baselworld )
Can some members please let me know of any Grey Market or AD's that would do a very good deal there please.
I looking at the black sub with date.
Thank you all so much in advance.

( First time poster :)

Jimbo

[email protected]

·
Banned
6,316 Posts
imagine a "SWISS delivery" for watches? take a tour of the factory, complimentary catalogue, see some of the steps being done, and then a fine wood presentation box and proper fitting at headquarters... and somehow have them ship the box/papers to your house so you can rock your rolex in europe during your stay (a la BMW)... sweeeetttt!!!!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
From what I saw, a non-date sub-c retails for 7100 chf here, whilst green bezel with date détails for 8600chf. I saw these prices in à well established jewelry window one-two weeks ago

Envoyé de mon LT25i en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
From a price standpoint, Switzerland is one of the worst places to buy a Rolex as compared to whatever 'deal' you might be able to work in the USA, either from an AD or a gray seller.

It's the exchange rate that will sour your Yodeling. And, I can't tell if the above post is tongue in cheek or not, but there are no factory tours in Geneva and you'd be lucky to get beyond the security desk in the lobby of one of the main buildings without alarms going off. And, from a cultural standpoint, the Swiss have never been know to offer up large retail discounts, even to their own citizens.

If you insist on making this Swiss journey a Rolex 2014 to remember, then the only thing I can think of is to patronize the one small shop in Geneva that is actually owned by Rolex SA. It's called Chrono-Time. But realize that it's not like going to a factory outlet mall in the US. However, it will be about the purist Rolex buying experience you can have.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Actually the prices I gave were seen in Lausanne by a rolex AD. So cacatalogue prices. It might be worse to compare them. So without discount, how much for a non-date sub-c in US? 7100chf is roughly 7950usd.

Envoyé de mon LT25i en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,843 Posts
Hi everybody and HAPPY NEW YEAR 2014.
Hope that you all have a wonderful and prosperous year ahead.
I have always wondered what is better or should I say cheaper to purchase a Rolex in the States say or in Switzerland where they come from??
We are going to be visiting Switzerland next month ( a bit guttered that I will not be there for baselworld )
Can some members please let me know of any Grey Market or AD's that would do a very good deal there please.
I looking at the black sub with date.
Thank you all so much in advance.

( First time poster :)

Jimbo

[email protected]
Hi, all my Rolex purchasing has always been done at Bucherer in Lugano, southern Switzerland. They are an official AD and I have been buying Rolex watches there since 1989. My last purchase there was a Milgauss (white dial) back in August 2013. I don't know if you are familiar with Bucherer, but they are a very upscale shop and they have various locations in Switzerland. They are sort of the Swiss Tiffany, if you want.

They will give you a 3% discount on Professional Rolex watches (Milgauss, Submariner, Explorer I and II, GMT-Master II, etc. etc.) and 5% on all other Rolex. If you are someone that lives outside of Switzerland, you will also get the Swiss taxes - 8% - off the price (contrary to the USA, all prices in Switzerland INCLUDE taxes. By the way, to get this 8% back, you need to show an official document, such as a passport, showing that you are not a Swiss resident). In order to give you that 8% back, they will fill out a form, stamp it, put it in a pre-paid mail envelope and give it to you with instructions to have it stamped by customs at the airport, when you are leaving the country. You will then need to put that envelope, duly filled with ALL stamps, in a mail slot that all Swiss airports have. Once Bucherer receives that envelope, they will cancel the block they put on the credit card for that 8% (if you fail to send them back that envelope, they will proceed to charge your cc 6 weeks after you purchased the watch).
So, if you do all things right, you can get either a total of 11% (3+8) off for Professional Rolex watches or 13% (5+8) for all others.

Please note that Bucherer has a location at Zurich airport too (you'd salivate at the knowledge of what watch brands have shops at Zurich airport. Your eyes will bug out, I guarantee it!) and I know for a fact that they take the 8% off too as I asked them last time I was there. I don't know about a further discount though, you should ask them WHEN YOU LAND (if you're using Zurich rather than Geneva. I don't know how the Geneva airport is setup for watch brands, sorry), if you ask me.

Hope this helped. Good hunting. :)

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Are u looking for a special or limited edition model? Switzerland really isn't the best place (money wise) to buy watches, much less a Rolex.
Why not cross the border to either Italy or Germany? Even without any discount, you are able to get 13 to 15% tax rebate.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm from Switzerland. Rolex has now opened a boutique on Bahnhofstrasse (but Rolexes are still sold at almost every luxury jeweler in town). The Sub with date costs approx. CHF 8'000, according to the catalogue they gave me. The advice on Bucherer is a good one, they are very friendly and forthcoming. Hope that helps. You can ask me anything about jewelers in Zurich.

Btw, how much does one cost in the US?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts