Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First of all Happy New 2014 everyone!

It's a new year so I wanted to start a new and fresh thread on the so popular "best Rolex homage" series, but with a bit of a difference!

Not everyone can afford to buy a Rolex timepiece, however there are other brands that have taken some inspiration from these iconic designs and offer a similar style timespieces but on a more affordable level.

I want to set up some basic rules here as I don't want this thread to turn into another cheap Chinese knock-off discussion that some people might call homages. Sorry but NO Alphas, Parnises and similar made up companies are allowed!

So the basic rules are:

> You can post any Rolex inspired designs (Subs, Explorers, DJs etc)
> Has to be a quality timepiece on their own merits
> Quality movements, Sapphire with AR coating, and the all the other usual things you would expect from a quality timepiece
> Swiss, German, American or Japanese made it doesn't matter, again as long its a quality timepiece.
> Readily available to buy in 2014 (no preorders, waiting lists or discontinued models)

> For budgets up to $1000

I hope this will be a very useful resource for a WIS seeking their next or even first purchase.

To kick off the thread here are a few suggestions from me:

Certina Action Diver that bears similarities to Submariner and Certina DS 1 Day Date (all borrowed pictures from good old Google)
CERTINA DS Action Diver (Titanium).jpg c013.410.44.087.00_copy_4.jpg

·
Registered
61 Posts
What exactly is the difference you refer too? An expensive homage
(Knockoff) is ok , while an inexpensive one is not?
It's ok to copy a style or design so long as you only use " quality parts"?

I'm not trying to stir the pot , it's the rule s I don't understand , the rules or the reason for them. People buy knockoffs for many reasons.
They admire the original , have the means to buy one but don't wish to.
They admire the original but don't have the resources to purchase one.
They are not knowledgable in watches and get ripped off.
Keeping that in mind the same could be said for any watch at any price point. So what the point of the rules.
A knockoff is a knock off is a knockoff and so far the ones posted are just expensive knockoffs no different from the excluded brands except by price.

My suggestion stop trying to justify your purchases or collections and enjoy them for what they are.

Happy NewYear

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
My vote goes for Steinhart Ocean One with ceramic bezel and the almost trademarkish Rolex cyclops lens.
For 390 €, it is a bargain, but they haven't scamped on quality. It's really fine made, all solid links, very high precision, sapphire crystal with AR, movement is ETA 2824-2 movement. The watch is rated at 300m WR and has a screwdown crown. You have an option for aluminium bezel or in my case slightly more expensive ceramic. I'm not aware of any other proper Rolex homage that would be this affordable and with such high level of quality. Plus, "Steinhart" sounds really cool.

610023722ocean_blk_01.jpg

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
Seikos,from the cheap and cheerful SKX007 to MM300 all the way to GS diver for mechanical and there are solar and kinetic versions too

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
Lots of nice HOMAGES out there but I'm a known rule breaker so I have to say I'll stick w/ my REAL 1's

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
Technically,even Pelagos can be said as a homage to sub,and I like it more than sub because of the lighter material and bold dial (and hands)

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Let's keep it civil and on topic if we want to participate in this thread. Usually these go south quickly.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Technically,even Pelagos can be said as a homage to sub,and I like it more than sub because of the lighter material and bold dial (and hands)

I agree. Also the Ti Tudor uses is finished in a way that looks more like stainless steel, rather than the drab ugly typical color of Ti. They did a great job with both the Pelagos and the BB

I have to say, I love my Christopher Ward C60.

·
Registered
7,732 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Isn't this a homage to the Submariner?
Oh! you meant *cheaper*, lol...

Rolex-yacht-master.jpg

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Some here say "the real thing is the proper way". But for me, it's the exact reason why i don't want the real thing. Rolex has that snobbish status, where for example Steinhart does not, it just looks similar.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
So the basic rules are:

> You can post any Rolex inspired designs (Subs, Explorers, DJs etc)
> Has to be a quality timepiece on their own merits
> Quality movements, Sapphire with AR coating, and the all the other usual things you would expect from a quality timepiece
> Swiss, German, American or Japanese made it doesn't matter, again as long its a quality timepiece.
> Readily available to buy in 2014 (no preorders, waiting lists or discontinued models)

> For budgets up to $1000
so, my actual Submariner would not qualify for inclusion as it does not have an AR coating.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.