WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you guys say is the best quartz watch under 1k that is currently in production?

I am looking to get a new watch to commemorate the birth of my son and have become disillusioned with my mechanicals due to their sensitive nature (Seiko Alpinist fell at airport security and cost the price of a new one to repair). Given that I was a little goblin as child assume my son will follow in my footsteps destroying things left and right.

For me "best" is where finishing, durability, accuracy meet at a high point.

I would love to get a GS or Chonomastwr but they are outside my pricepoint.

·
Registered
36,300 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Re: Best Quartz under 1000€

These HAQ are deadly accurate.

Short demo video showing the very slick dual big chrono sweep hand:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=36BoZMkOAwo

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/certina-ds-2-limited-edition-watch-high-end-precidrive-movement/

Was made in many color choices. Under $500 is a good deal.

I second that. I got a Certina Reverse Panda and it was a good deal ($350), within specs (-/+ 10 spy), independent hour hand (for timezone changes and daylight saving time) and long battery live. Full disclosure: I also have a Titanium version with defective movement (-/+ 12 spy) and currently in the Service Center to improve accuracy.

Cheers,

Miguel

·
Registered
199 Posts

Not sure what Tissot offer in mechanicals in the PR100 line, but they do (did?) make a PR100 model with the ETA F06.411 and a COSC certificate.
There are both PR 100 COSC Automatic and Quartz. There is a really good deal in Jomashop for the COSC quartz version.

Cheers,

Miguel

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
I believe you have to go gray market to get the COSC quartz Tissots. IIRC, all mens' models are gone from the current listings.

·
Registered
24 Posts

Can't believe nobody mentioned this yet: Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF. Yes, it doesn't technically count as a HAQ, but I would argue that for most people it's better (given that they live somewhere where they can receive the signal). It has a perpetual calendar and attempts to receive a radio signal from an atomic clock (there is one in Mainflingen, so you should be good) every morning, which means it always tells the correct time with zero user input. 100m WR, but no screw-down crown.

If you must have a proper HAQ, I'd look at the C7 Rapide Chronograph COSC from Christopher Ward. You might be able to find one of the older ones to get an even better deal, but even new, I think it's a great deal: 10 sec/year, chronograph with a centrally-mounted minute hand AND 12-hour counter, independent hour hand and the bracelet has a toolless micro-adjust mechanism. It also has a screw-down crown, but no screw-down pushers.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Longines Conquest VHP - great watch and slightly under $1,000 (I think as here in UK the 43mm is £720) pic borrowed from ABTW
Longines-Conquest-VHP.jpg

·
Registered
199 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,700 Posts
Since there won't be the atomic signal from US any more in the near future that will be the only way for the watch to maintain accuracy at least.

Cheers,

Miguel
Just because you insist on repeating this falsehood over and over, doesn't make it true.

Cheers

Edit:

Poorly worded post. Should have been written as follows:

Even though this possibility is repeated over and over, doesn't make it true.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Just because you insist on repeating this falsehood over and over, doesn't make it true.

Cheers
"Hey Miguel,

Perhaps you have not read the latest, but you know, we really think this will never happen, so no worries. And about your question..."

See? the same can be said in a friendly and courteous manner, but you prefer to be hostile and even with a real false statement: I insist in repeating??? How many time have I insisted and repeated that? Zero times. This is the first time and it is perhaps because I have not read every response on the matter yet or did not understand that there was a conclusion to it.

Then...Hurray! Thank you to inform me that this won't happen and I do not need to worry.

This a hobby guys, as a member I really respect already said on a thread were something similar happened... why some people are getting so upset lately? I wish for this forum to continue to be enjoyable and that candid or even silly questions won't provoke this kind of response from other members.

Cheers everyone,

Miguel

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I would say if you are concerned about RC signal, the gps watches from Seiko, Citizen, and Casio offer a nice combination of finish, accuracy, and in the case of Casio toughness.

In Seiko you are looking at the Spotura line, Astron is out of the price range.

Citizen the wave ceptor can be had for under 1k. Nicely finished, and obviously accurate.

Casio is kind of the king of tough and has multiple models incorporating RX and RC in one watch. For what it is its done well.

Than there is the Apple watch, doesn't get its signal via RC and is HaQ, very nicely done and can be had for about 250$ if you're okay with last year's model.

Just me I'm partial to the Precisionist chronograph from Bulova, because we'll there isn't another quartz watch that does what it does at any price. I would also add the Certina DS8, again nice and unique, and the Longines VHP for its finish and accuracy.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts