WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much deliberation, searching and many wonderful suggestions, I have decided on the Certina DS-2 as my first major watch buy.

I would love suggestions on websites where one can find the best deals. I have heard of Ashford mentioned, google turned up Jomashop. I am also looking at ebay and came across watchpatrol.net Any other suggestions for new/used sites will be helpful.

I have also been told to wait a bit, as this isn't the best time to buy watches, but rather end of Jan/Feb.

I would love to get the all black version of the watch, which is currently like $400-500. Meanwhile the cheapest version I've come across so far is the green one for around $240.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Really depends on which brand, what watch, what price tier to get the best site to buy a certain watch. I'd be fine sourcing a Seiko from eBay without giving it a second thought, but getting a new Breitling or Omega, I'd go for a jewelers shop or AD. For your Certina, I'd say eBay or Jomashop are probably a good start. Look out for deals on either websites. Maybe even some brick and mortar stores?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I came across watchpatrol.net which is like a craigslist for watches. Are their any other well known or reputable sites to buy watches from. I know ebay is probably #1 site for selling stuff online, just wondering if there was anything specific to watches.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
The banners throughout this entire site would be a great place to start.

Shops like Ashford and Joma are grey dealers providing no manufacturers warranty.

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
I would point you pretty strongly towards gray market, because the price difference is going to offset the lost warranty for most affordable watches. They'll have the best Certina selection anyway, since it's not officially sold in the US.

Generally speaking, Ashford, Jomashop, Certified Watch Store, Gemnation, Amazon (often authorized, sometimes gray depends on the watch and marketplace vendor), Gemnation and sometimes World of Watches will be good places to start. Massdrop is an option if you're very patient and your watch happens to be an available drop.

If you're not looking at Certina, discount retailers also increase their stock drastically this time of year-- TJMaxx etc.

Now (really starting a week ago) is the best time of the year to buy by far, with Prime Day and around Father's Day being honorable mentions. I hate Jan/Feb for retail because the selection is low, the prices are often not very good and it's just a slow time as the big brands prepare for revealing their new lines at SIHH and (maybe?) Basel. There will be some good deals at all times, but the volume of deals between Black Friday and Christmas is probably your best bet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts