WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm looking for a skeleton watch (or something with a similar design experience) under 200$. What do you suggest? Thank's

·
Registered
85 Posts
Watch Analog watch Strap Watch accessory Fashion accessory
Most skeleton watch I saw in that price range is Sturling (this one is selling on Amazon for $150). I would skeptical though as someone said that Sturling is Chinese.

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
A. Virtually all decorated movements in <$200 watches will be Chinese.

B. Many Chinese movements are of very good quality.

B does not necessarily imply A.

I'd look at Sea Gull first for skeletons, but many of their styles are very traditional and often at odds for what a skeleton watch buyer is looking for. Next, I'd look at Rotary (Swiss-based, but for these types they're not going to be Swiss) and lastly at Sturhling. Stuhrling is fine for what it is, but you need to set expectations appropriately. I'd buy from a vendor with an easy return policy-- and that's for all of the above. Amazon is probably a default go-to choice.

Actual Swiss skeletons other than maybe the Swatch Irony (the Japanese don't really do skeletons as such) are going to be way out of reach, so when a company is nominally Swiss, the movement is still going to be Chinese. It is what it is.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A. Virtually all decorated movements in <$200 watches will be Chinese.

B. Many Chinese movements are of very good quality.

B does not necessarily imply A.

I'd look at Sea Gull first for skeletons, but many of their styles are very traditional and often at odds for what a skeleton watch buyer is looking for. Next, I'd look at Rotary (Swiss-based, but for these types they're not going to be Swiss) and lastly at Sturhling. Stuhrling is fine for what it is, but you need to set expectations appropriately. I'd buy from a vendor with an easy return policy-- and that's for all of the above. Amazon is probably a default go-to choice.

Actual Swiss skeletons other than maybe the Swatch Irony (the Japanese don't really do skeletons as such) are going to be way out of reach, so when a company is nominally Swiss, the movement is still going to be Chinese. It is what it is.
mmm I found out this one at 180$: ACADEMY - ACADEMY - COLLECTIONS - THOMAS EARNSHAW WATCHES & TIMEPIECES
Do you think it has a bad or good Chinese movement?

(The Swatch Irony is good looking but I preferred with leather strap)

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
For this price, the best will be the $15 chinese mechanicals you find on eBay. They will be almost the same as Stuhrlings, minus the $75+ markup. And they will get the itch for a skeleton out of your system.

In summary, there are no good $200 skeletons. You either go big or go home. If you are serious about it, though, you can get a Tissot Squelette for little north of $1000. Or you can find one of these, vintage, closer to your price point.

It'll probably need a service though.

·
Registered
12,796 Posts
Go for the Swatch and buy a couple of leather bands. That scratched my itch for a skeleton.
This +100

Unless you can find a Sea Gull skeleton for your price, I'd go Swatch.

Out of your price range, but if I was going to buy a skeleton today, the Tissot is really well done for the money. I like the industrial look.

·
Registered
561 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,128 Posts
These are your two options.

Reactions: d3nzi0

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
It is not a skeleton but even so the dispay caseback of the seagull 1963 chrono is gorgeous hence might it be an alternative...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Rotary or a seagull m182.

I bought the rotary pre-loved for little over 50€ (After reading a lot in the chinese subforum) and it runs about -4s/day and looks great.

Bought the seagull in red for my little sister, she loves it and it indeed looks really good. Another pro: It's got sapphire glass for about 135 usd. You get lots of watch for your money.

Personally, I don't like the swatch skeleton. The Hamilton jazzmaster open heart would be my choice, but it's above your budget.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've had my eye on the Sea-Gull everyone is talking about for some time.
You can buy the blue version here for $135: New Sea Gull M182SK Sliver Skeleton Automatic Mechanical Watch Blue Hands | eBay

As is also mentioned, the Swatch Body and Soul is about the only Swiss movement skeleton in your price range.
I personally can't stand the "SWATCH" text around the bezel; it looks tacky to me.
You can buy it on Amazon for $136: Amazon.com: Swatch Men's YAS100G Automatic See Through Dial Crystal Watch: Swatch: Watches

Now, on to other watches to consider.
You can find many Unitas style manual winding skeletons under the Parnis name on eBay.
I owned one for a spell; it wasn't my style so I traded it off.
You can find a sterile version here for less than $100: Parnis 44mm Full Gold Skeleton Dial Sea Gull Handwing MVT Brushed Steel Case | eBay

Android produces a lot of watches that use skeleton Sea-Gull movements.
Right now they have a deal on three watches (one automatic with a Seiko, one a skeleton Sea-Gull, and another with a quartz chronograph) with a three watch case for under $200: Bald Eagle Radius Armor
If you would like something unique, perhaps the Bioluminescense would be for you, $160 on Amazon: http://smile.amazon.com/ANDROID-AD6...=1410791246&sr=8-12&keywords=android+skeleton

Despite what was said earlier, there are Japanese skeletons on the market, though used less frequently now than in the past.
Miyota (Citizen) produces a number of skeleton movements which are used in watches from other brands.
This was the first I came across ($145), but Android and Invicta used to use them frequently: Gorgeous Debert Gold Skeleton Dial Citizen Miyota Automatic Mens Watch D7016 1 | eBay
You may look for older, NOS items on eBay.

Hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
7,012 Posts
This is one of the more popular questions in the Affordables Forum. I've previously linked to a number of older threads with lots of great suggestions (sometimes the question is solely fixated on price, sometimes it's origin, sometimes it's quality, but the same recs keep coming up).

https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/skeleton-watch-propose-man-1070679-2.html#post8224140
New to watch collecting and would like some recommendations
Affordable Swiss Skeleton Watch?
Affordable Skeleton Watch
Challenge: Minimalist skeleton watch
What Skeleton Watch to Buy and Where to Buy it
Reliable automatic/skeleton under 150
Kenneth Cole, Stuhrling, Fossil or Seagull?
Stührling Auto skeketon

(Oftentimes, the discussion goes to "open heart" watches, because they're usually (a) more readable, (b) made by better manufacturers, and (c) often a bit more long-lasting in many collections...)

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
1 - 20 of 31 Posts