WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys *shakes head* i only joined up for advice on buying one watch and now here i am considering another..
I quite fancy a Bond Style Submariner, but I'm unwilling to spend the ££££ so i was wondering which manufacturers outside of Rolex make the best Submariner homage?

Im not talking about replicas or fakes btw, just watches that copy the submariners style.
any recommendations? must be automatic, preferably swiss (but not necisarrily), non date (if possible) and under four figures would be good!:D

Thanks for any replies.
Dan

·
Banned
3,758 Posts
You guys *shakes head* i only joined up for advice on buying one watch and now here i am considering another..
I quite fancy a Bond Style Submariner, but I'm unwilling to spend the ££££ so i was wondering which manufacturers outside of Rolex make the best Submariner homage?

Im not talking about replicas or fakes btw, just watches that copy the submariners style.
any recommendations? must be automatic, preferably swiss (but not necisarrily), non date (if possible) and under four figures would be good!:D

Thanks for any replies.
Dan
I noticed you are in the UK, so give these a look. O&W, I have not personally owned one but have heard they are nice for the money.

http://www.chronomaster.co.uk/ollech_&_wajs_diver's_watches.htm

I think they may be one of the few with a no-date model at £149 to £198 .

·
Banned
3,758 Posts
I think the Marcello C tridente (43.5mm) and the Marcello C Nettuno 3 (40mm) are my favorite.
Those are excellent and I have owned a Tridente which was larger than a Sub but the Nettuno is close. I did not mention them because they only have a date model in each of them and they are considerably more expensive. Also sadly lacking in lume if that is an important factor to you.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Here is my Submariner Homage

·
Registered
559 Posts
The best by far (and I have tried most) is the Tigershark.

Unfortunately, I hate the dial, so that means one would have to put a Yao dial in there. However, the build is unsurpassed at the price point. And the bracelet is excellent, as well as the customer service.

www.tigersharkwatch.com

Cheers,
Rafael T

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
If I was dead-set on Swiss, it would be the Steinhart/Debaufre Ocean 1.

Since you're open to Japanese, the Orient 2ER00001B is my pick for best-bang-for-the-buck. It was my first Orient watch. It's well-built, with solid bracelet links, and runs great. Like most Orient models, it doesn't hack or handwind, but for under $100, I don't care:

Rob

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I like the Orient 2ER0001B a lot, although I still think for a $100 (or less) Submariner homage, I'd give the Invicta 8926 a slight edge, if for no other reason than it is 200m water resistant. In my mind, a submariner homage should be usable as a diver. The Invicta hand winds too (although like the Orient, no hacking), for what it's worth

As is the case for others here, I think the Debaufre/Steinhart Ocean-1 is a great affordable, Swiss Made submariner homage.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I don't know if they are still around but Sandoz of Singapore had a great Sub homage and Bill Yao used it as a base watch for his mods..:-!

Stan

·
Registered
368 Posts
Ah, THIS is a good topic.

I gotta say, that's the first time I've seen the Orient "submariner" homage, and it looks quite . . . um . . . "submarinish," yes? But, the winner, to me, goes to the Steinhart/Defaubre model.

It's got the font of the numbers exact, it's got the font of the narrative above the 6 done right. The first time I saw Steinhart/Defaubre's (there are some models out there STILL called "Steinhart" right?) Ocean 1 series (especially the black and white model), I just thought to myself, "can you believe this? An affordable . . ." you know the rest.

To me, the definition of an "homage" across the board -- whether it be a "homage" rock band, whatever (and, yes, I seem to hardly listen to music), fan fiction, whatever -- is that a part of that homage should present that "something" that makes its [informed] audience say, "wow, they got THAT part of the original DOWN, correct!" paired with that other thing that identifies the "homaging" brand (to compare to the aforementioned rock band example, there's that all-female Aerosmith cover-band, whose name fails me at this time) in this case: 1) the whole cooler sounding (well, at least to me) "PROFESSIONAL AUTOMATIC" of the Steinhart/Debaufre; 2) that I think "Ocean 1" is one of THE coolest-sounding names for a Diver's watch; 3) the homaging brand's own logo.

I think the one thing Debaufre/Steinhart has managed to accomplish in their particular homage, the one thing that gets you to thinking, "wow, this is a tribute" are the fonts of the numbers and indices on the bezel of the Ocean 1. Yep. Got it down.

Submariner's not a grail watch for me. But, I can't deny that it's a fine Diver's watch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great thread.
Could you give me a few suggestions for an homage watch to the Rolex PROHUNTER Submariner Date ?
See what it looks like here
Discover the Pro-Hunter Collection
So far the best I found is the Invicta F0068,
Amazon.com: Invicta Men's F0068 Pro Diver Collection Automatic Black Ion-Plated Stainless Steel Watch: Watches
bought one and I like it, but I would prefer a watch with white marks and hands (The Invicta's are grey and hard to read in low light conditions, and the lume doesn't help)

·
Registered
12,892 Posts
Take a look at the Steinhart Ocean Black DLC model. Steinhart has a great reputation on the forum and this is a great looking black Sub style watch. (Steinhart pic.)

1775609980oceanblackdlc_01.jpg

·
Registered
735 Posts
Good question, one which I wished I had asked when I first started to collect watches. I would seriously look at CWC. Although you get fixed lugs, and you pay a bit more than the aforementioned watches, you get a helluva watch, which is a sub-like watch with its own identity. I have had one, and will have another. Very robust, awesome accuracy and built to last (and patina the dial). I have found that with an homage watch I am always wanting the real thing, and am constantly reminded that it isn't when I look at it. But maybe this doesn't concern you. A Seiko SKX 007 on a superoyster strap would definitely work too.
Best of luck
Aaron

·
Registered
662 Posts
There are so many. The Kingston is nice, but you've probably figured out it's hard to get one. Steinhart/Debaufre makes a good watch, and personally I've liked O&W and the Singapore Sandoz. Here are a couple of mods I did (the O&W model was chosen to NOT look too much like a sub clone, hence the dial/hands/bezel combo).

Sandoz w/Yao parts:

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I just got this Mk II Milsub on the FS Forum and I was suprised how well it was built. An homage to a rare and highly sought after Rolex and updated enough to not look like a copy, No offense to the other fine homages out there that are fine watches in their own right,

Deacon

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I would also look at the Raven Vintage... my favorite Sub homage for the $$

cool gilt hands/dial, high-domed acrylic and ETA movement... a cool package :-!

cheers,
Peter

·
Registered
12,892 Posts
Great thread.
Could you give me a few suggestions for an homage watch to the Rolex PROHUNTER Submariner Date ?
See what it looks like here
Discover the Pro-Hunter Collection
So far the best I found is the Invicta F0068,
Amazon.com: Invicta Men's F0068 Pro Diver Collection Automatic Black Ion-Plated Stainless Steel Watch: Watches
bought one and I like it, but I would prefer a watch with white marks and hands (The Invicta's are grey and hard to read in low light conditions, and the lume doesn't help)
The above bump of this <ahem> 2007 thread was for a PVD/DLC Sub Homage. That's why I suggested the Steinhart Ocean Black.

If we're talking Best Sub Homage in general, folks could do worse than to check out the Best Submariner Homage Sticky over in the Affordables Forum.

BTW, great looking Sub homages. Can't wait for my own Vintage Raven to arrive.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Fullers1845 your advice on the Steinhart was spot on - really nice watch. Maybe I'll get there one day but for now I'm taking baby steps, I took your advice and went to the Best Submariner Homage Sticky, which lead me to manbushijie, and the watch below (" 44mm SEA style PVD Case Ceramic Bezel Automatic watch"), that I ordered.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts