WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 1638 Posts

·
Registered
13,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Observing the life of its own that the "Best Panerai Homage?" thread has become--even rising to Sticky status--I have been wondering for some time if we could do a similar Sticky for homages to the iconic Submariner?

I have searched WUS fairly extensively and find a thread here and a thread there, but nothing approaching the "Best Homage" content of the Pam Homage thread.

Griff and Lee, are there any hoops we need to jump through to do this?

Regardless, I'll start this thread to list the Sub homages I've tried, would like to try, general thoughts and opinions about them, etc. Please join in and post your own!

·
Registered
13,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My first Sub homage was the Orient 2ER00001B.

It is pretty dang close to 40mm in diameter. 50mm lug to lug. 20mm strap/bracelet width. The in house Orient automatic movement was extremely accurate out of the box.

The cyclops is decent, but not too strong in magnification.

The dial is fairly clean and uncluttered by excess text. WR is 100m.

The bracelet starts at 20mm and tapers pretty significantly (16mm at the clasp? :-s). End links are not solid, but the rest of the links are. A bit rattly if you ask me, but that's true to the originals, right?

The biggest <| to me on this Orient is the bezel. 60 clicks I can live with, but this one was "clanky." :-( Also, there was quite a bit of play in the bezel's fit around the crystal. May have just been my watch, but it was enough for me to mark it off my Sub Homage Keeper list.

I'd still recommend it as comparable to the Invicta 8926c (or 8926ob).

Another couple of pics:

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
This might be a bit off the far end to start the Big Sub Homage thread with, but I'm just dying to try out the VOOW All-Black Sub (which looks like a steal at $60 on eBay):

In order to mod it to a Bamford & Sons style babyblue dial/PVD case Sub:

(mock-up from their online customizer app)

Now if only I had any idea how to mod dials :roll:

·
Registered
13,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's another one. The Alpha Green Bezel homage to the Rolex LV Sub.

Honestly, this one is as close to true detail as I've ever handled. From the bezel and crystal profile, to the solid-end-link bracelet style, to the stamped clasp with diver's extension. Caseback. It's all there, baby. And it's less than $60 shipped.

Here's my favorite shot to show some of this fantastic attention to detail:

Automatic movement that hacks and handwinds. Tolerable accuracy (but not as good as the Orient 2ER, above).

In my opinion, Alpha is making the best aesthetic homage to the Submariner that I have yet to handle. Dang! Why did I let this one go? I don't know. Maybe just a little too close to the real thing.

In the end, if you're cruising through homages, don't skip over Alpha.

·
Registered
13,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Here is a link to an article by Zai Zhu of Discount Watch Store comparing the Orient 2ER and the Invicta 8926c. In my opinion, it is a fair comparison, but in the end I think the scales are tipped toward the Orient because he likes the in-house accurate-out-of-the-box movement.

Check it out: http://www.discountwatchstore.com/watch-reviews-1/

Note: I have not handled an Invicta 8926c (or 8926ob) in person. I'd very much like to though!

·
Registered
13,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Affordables Moderator
17,578 Posts
I think we can stick this one and see how it goes.

I'll put in a vote for the Orient 2ER myself. I just bought one from the Orient VIP sale, and on a NATO it just looks great to me. I have the Invicta 8926 and like the Orient better, though if the 8926 didn't have their logo engraved on the case side I might have felt differently. I also have the Invicta yachtmaster style too.

I also have the Timex sub, an Alpha GMT with similar case to the sub, and a Sandoz which I had modded. The nicest case is the Orient, though I know what you mean about the bezel. It doesn't really bother me though it may bother others used to the much smoother Seiko diver bezels.

Of course I have other divers similar to, but not homages to the sub, like the Marathon SAR and the Zeno Sea Hunter.

Cheers,
Griff

·
Registered
13,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
An outstanding beater Sub homage may be had in the Timex T29781. It sports the handy Indiglo backlight, and is very well put together. Snap-on caseback. 60-click bezel. Quartz accuracy. Only drawback on this one is the 50m water resistance. I've submerged it without incident, but for some reason 100m would give me more comfort.

Best of all, these Timex subs can be had for under $50!

·
Registered
13,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My pride and joy when it comes to Sub homages is my Debaufre Ocean 1. This is a Swiss Made automatic watch. As far as I'm concerned, they thought of everything on this one, and it will be with me for years to come. ;-)

The specs:

316L stainless steel case
Swiss ETA 2824-2 Automatic movement with 25 jewels
Screw-down crown and case-back (both signed)
Super-LumiNova C1 illumination
AR coated sapphire crystal
300m = 1000 ft. water resistant
Unidirectional rotating bezel
Stainless Steel Oyster bracelet with screwed links
Solid end links
Stainless steel clasp with signed foldover safety
Weight: 6.8 oz

Price is a bit more for an Ocean 1 than for some of the others discussed so far. Retail as of this posting is $465.00. Debaufre has been known to offer these on a scratch and dent sale from time to time. That's how I was able to pick up mine for much nearer $300. :-!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Tiger Shark used to make one, can't see it on their site anymore.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
An outstanding beater Sub homage may be had in the Timex T29781. It sports the handy Indiglo backlight, and is very well put together. Snap-on caseback. 60-click bezel. Quartz accuracy. Only drawback on this one is the 50m water resistance. I've submerged it without incident, but for some reason 100m would give me more comfort.

Best of all, these Timex subs can be had for under $50!
great

·
Registered
13,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Does anyone have any experience with the St. Moritz/Momentum Aquamatic II?

I'm pretty sure it has an ETA 2824 Swiss automatic movement. Mineral crystal. Unidirectional bezel. Push-button clasp.

I'd love to hear from an owner of one of these...

(Seller pic.)

1 - 20 of 1638 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.