WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I am starting to look for a more formal watch, i was was wondering what would WISers think were the best value for money, dressy watches under 10,000 USD , used. I would prefer breguet type hands and a small seconds, but it isn't a must. ( I know the JLC MUT moonphase is a favorite on the forum but i tried it and it was pretty austere and boring in my eyes).

·
Premium Member
8,940 Posts
Value for money becomes a non sequitur way before $10k.

The MUT moonphase isn't even close to my first choice...I'd greatly prefer the straight MUT. No dial colors appeal? I wonder if the Bucherer blue is still out there. But the bigger issue? "Formal dress" watches run relatively austere...it's part of the definition.

Small seconds immediately suggests Nomos to me. Overtrained, perhaps. Orion Neomatik? Midnight blue would be my choice.

Hentschel H2:

·
Premium Member
8,940 Posts
True, if open to used...check for a used Breguet classic.

Another option: Ulysse Nardin Classico. This is the black enamel dial...definitely not boring. And I love enamel dials. :) In budget too.

3203-136-2_E2_Web.jpg

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
The MUT Moonphase is pretty damn sexy.

Jaeger-Le-Coultre-Master-Ultra-Thin-Moon-Phase-39-Q1368470.jpg

·
Registered
389 Posts
I think when you used the word “value” everyone gravitate toward JLC, who make wonderful watches. I’m going to say something that isn’t that trendy right now but I think will come back strong.

Rolex Fluted Bezel Datejust. (White Gold). Some dealers still carry The white face. Good luck on your search!

Reactions: TJ Boogie

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you don't mind the extra thickness, you can likely find a Breguet 5140 in the price range (the predecessor of the current small-seconds 7147). It isn't easy to find much outside of Breguet if you love Breguet hands.

·
Premium Member
8,940 Posts
Another thread reminded me of another option: RGM.

·
Registered
12,103 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
True, if open to used...check for a used Breguet classic.

Another option: Ulysse Nardin Classico. This is the black enamel dial...definitely not boring. And I love enamel dials. :) In budget too.

View attachment 13142487
Also available in blue & white enamel!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
( I know the JLC MUT moonphase is a favorite on the forum but i tried it and it was pretty austere and boring in my eyes).
That's kiiind of what a dress watch is... maybe you're looking for a dressy watch with more functions? Like a JLC Master Geographic?

The Cartier Drive collection is definitely less 'boring' (or classical), but at the moment I wouldn't say it's value for money - they cost as much as the JLC, despite the finishing being less good (as far as I've seen), and aren't that readily available on the secondary market.

For Breguet hands you would likely have to look for a custom watch, or at least an independent. The German ones come to mind (Dornblueth, Henschel etc).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Value is I suppose not an obvious concept IMHO.

For me has little to do with purchase price.

Instead it has to do with the difference between purchase price and market price X years from now.

Obviously there are practical constraints when there is a high initial purchase price.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,528 Posts
Value is I suppose not an obvious concept IMHO.

For me has little to do with purchase price.

Instead it has to do with the difference between purchase price and market price X years from now.

Obviously there are practical constraints when there is a high initial purchase price.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
If you buy high end watches with the idea of making a profit you'll be disappointed soon.

Vintage Soviet watches quotations on the other side are going, so a good Poljot Deluxe might be a small but more remunerative investment.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts