WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am fortunate enough to own 12 dive watches, along with several other watches than can take those watery depths. However, for the purposes of this thread your proposals must be of a divers style watch. This is about value for money, so the price has only got to be relevant to the watch you suggest. The only criteria other than being a divers style watch, is that the manufacturers recommendation is a minimum of 200m water resist.

My initial thought was my Vostok Amphibia Radio Room. 200m WR and an iconic piece of horology. If your prepared to wait for it to arrive from Russia, and don't mind paying the import tax, this is a very cheap watch. However, technically speaking it's quite rubbish. The movement may be reliable, but the accuracy is inconsistent to say the least. The bracelets are embarrassing, and the dials look like they are made of paper and been badly photo copied.

Seiko also make some nice divers, and there was a day they may have been considered great value for money. Unfortunately their spec has stayed the same, but their prices have risen.

Invicta make a pretty good pro-diver with an NH35 movement, and can be picked up at very good prices depending on the country you live. The bezel is reasonable, the bracelet rubbish, the crystal soft, but they look pretty good. I should also mention that they make quartz versions that represent value for the buck.

Orient are pretty good also. I own a Mako XL and a Kamasu. The Mako XL looks great, but the accuracy was awful until I spent days regulating it. The bracelet on both aren't great, but at least they improved the bezel on the Kamasu as well as it being given sapphire. Orient divers are pretty lovely to be honest.

Here is one most of you won't of even thought of. I have a Stuhrling 200m diver in the homage of a Longines Hydro Conquest. It has a Ronda Quartz movement, a good bezel, and an extremely good bracelet. If it had a sapphire crystal it may have come top.

My recently acquired Heimdallr Sharkey Turtle is quite fantastic. Experienced watch enthusiasts get annoyed when I tell them Sharkey are better watches than the Seiko watches they homage to. Sapphire crystals, better bezels, better bracelets, and a better Seiko movement than they put in their own watches. Arguably they may not look quite as pretty as the Seiko, and although reasonably priced, their customer service isn't great, and it's likely you will pay some sort of import tax.

I recently bought a Phoibos quartz 300m diver from Amazon, and the quality for the £100 it cost me is outstanding. OK, I don't care much for the logo, and wish they had stuck to the original "PHOIBOS", but that's subjective. The movement is the Swiss Ronda quartz, The bezel although steel, has a great 120 click movement, the bracelet excellent, and it has sapphire crystal. No wonder people are raving about these watches. I should mention they make autos as well, but the prices are quite disproportionate,

My winner still has to be the divers watch I bought a few years ago, and am wearing today. My 200m Parnis own design diver. Fitted with a Miyota movement that is very accurate, A terrific bracelet with solid end links, divers extension, and milled clasp. It hasn't got the best lume in the world, but this bothers some people more than others, and the fantastic ceramic bezel only has 90 clicks instead of a preferred 120. That said, the movement of the bezel is outstanding. Finally, it is visually outstanding with it's beautiful guilloche dial and finely crafted 316L stainless case. It isn't perfect by any means, but for the £80 or so these are available for, I don't think they can be beaten.

It's all subjective of course, but let's here your opinions

Parnis Diver.jpg

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Casio Duro for me
From a known brand. Under 50$. Quartz doesn't bother me.
You get a bit more quality control than the Parnis brands for example. I've had some Parnis watches and they are great value. Not bashing them at all. .

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you trust that Parnis in the water...?

I got a San Martin 6105 homage in bronze. Value for money diver, meh; value for money bronze diver, yes, definitely.

View attachment 14631613
Yep, used it in the water several times. In fact I have used Parnis watches in the water with a 30m rating, and they have still been OK. Unfortunately San Martin are not available in the UK, otherwise I may have given one a go

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Honestly, the Invicta Pro Diver does very well as a functional 200m dive watch, and is pretty incredible value when you can find them for around $50 new in box. The bracelet is not amazing, but I wouldn't call it rubbish. I've seen far worse.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Hmmm, the watch you do not need to purchase. I wish I could follow my own advice. Cheers

Reactions: Zzyzx

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Obris Morgan if you want pure on paper specs for dollar amount, and seiko turtle if you want a solid watch from a powerful brand.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
916 Posts
Don't have this in hand yet, but this would be my contender. Hamtun H2 Kraken.

images (5)_1573958646865.jpeg

I've nothing against homages, or the brand, but "Parnis own design" is a bit of a non sequitur isn't it?

images (1)_1573958713764.jpeg

·
Registered
36,311 Posts
I've nothing against homages, or the brand, but "Parnis own design" is a bit of a non sequitur isn't it?
Say what?

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Best value hands down at the moment is the Citizen Promaster.

ISO rated dive watch under $150 (grey market) new.

Otherwise, mechanical, or me, it's still the SKX007. Even at today's prices. Or the Seiko Turtle as an alternative.

For a sapphire crystal mechanical it's the Orient Triton.

And for non-ISO rates divers, it's the Vostok Amphibia.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
As a Diver for many years, (I learned to dive in 1968/69 and this was my watch I originally used, but when I first went down my "Buddy" who was also my tutor wore The Watch and the Dive Master above had the signal rope/cord)

WP_20180320_10_42_49_Pro.jpg

This is a Hand wind watch to the Sub Pattern, with a 10atm water resistance, which was common before ISO and all the other stuff. I bought this about 1969/70 when I qualified to Solo Dive and I still have it and it still runs because while I was Diving with it it got serviced every year along with the rest of my Dive Kit.

These days, 99% of Divers use a Dive Computer, especially if they are using breathing mixtures like Nitrox, that most regular divers do, to reduce the chances of getting the Bends as the decompression is not so arduous. This is a totally oversimplified explanation but covers the main point, for me at least.

I was never a Full Time Professional Diver, but did do so say professional dives on occasions as I was qualified to do so. The Pro Divers all used equipment provided by the company, and used to go on about the "Good Old Days" when they got issued with a Rolex Sub! But I guess this would have been in the 1950's or early '60s maybe?

These days the best value Dive Watches, if you are actually going to use them in anger, i.e. regularly under water, would be either a Casio or the Invicta 8926OB. For the simple reason that either of these will survive most things and if not are cheap to replace! Most of the Pro Divers I met on my travels wore a Casio G-Shock as their watch, but then a Diver does not need a Dive Watch as a Watch, the computer does it all and more, but a Dive watch is good should the computer ever fail - which they never do! :-s or that is what the manufacturers tell me :roll:

So my opinion is that 99% of the Dive Watches that get sold are Desk Divers or the Regulation Poseur Accessory, not meant as offensive, Moi is a Poseur along with the best of them - I wear my Invicta 8927OB to wind up my Bro-In-Law as he thinks it is a R**** and I am not minded to dis-abuse him of the idea.

I will also say that most of them are water resistant enough to survive the most that is going to get thrown at them. The one activity that I have observed that will kill even the better mid-range Dive Watches is a Jet-Ski. The water pressure when you fall off one of those is enough to right off even the best built Dive Watch. I have seen 200M tested watches leak under those conditions! Probably water skiing in one would not be good for it either.

But apart from those extremes my advice is that the best value Dive Watch is the one you like and will wear! Because if it is going to spend it's life sitting in a watch box, then to me it ain't good value. YMMV |>

Apart from that, probably a Diver is about the best value watch to Buy Period. It have worn one on the beach, the board room, meetings of all shapes and sizes, formal diners, Weddings and Funerals and have never had a negative comment that I can recall!

Best regards
Jim

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
In terms of ''value'', two subjective considerations for me:
1. I'm not actually going diving below maybe a couple of meters. So having it 'certified' adds no real value to me (plus I trust Japan's WR rating).
2. I value wearing a reputable brand (for a few reasons), so I'm excluding Chinese specials.

So imo the best bang-for-buck is:
- Quartz: $40 Casio Duro (if you can find it for that price), or a G-Shock
- Mechanical: $125 Orient Ray/Mako II

If you DO care about 1: (then get a bloody diving computer). Citizen Pro Dive or Orient Triton, as mentioned.
If you don't care about 2: get any of those Chinese mechanical specs monsters around the $100.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
In terms of ''value'', two subjective considerations for me:
1. I'm not actually going diving below maybe a couple of meters. So having it 'certified' adds no real value to me (plus I trust Japan's WR rating).
2. I value wearing a reputable brand (for a few reasons), so I'm excluding Chinese specials.

So imo the best bang-for-buck is:
- Quartz: $40 Casio Duro (if you can find it for that price), or a G-Shock
- Mechanical: $125 Orient Ray/Mako II

If you DO care about 1: (then get a bloody diving computer). Citizen Pro Dive or Orient Triton, as mentioned.
If you don't care about 2: get any of those Chinese mechanical specs monsters around the $100.
R O F L O L

Could not have said it better myself! Divers are just a great watch design, that is probably why there are so many of them.

Some are made with care and use decent materials for a great price and Some are Not!

Caveat emptor

Best regards,
Jim

1 - 20 of 58 Posts