WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm just too new to the vintage side of watches and fearful of spending stupidly because of looks. As a baseline, I much prefer Tri compax chrono's with 12 hour timer over 45min versions. If you were to set aside condition as a constant and taste for design aside (I've now removed most of what makes vintage watch collecting fun, sorry) and wanted to budget under $1,000 and can find a tri compax, would any of these brands be a better investment down the line if I decide to sell? I'm not a dealer, but rather try to buy things I like that wrst case I can come close to breaking even if I decide to change or upgrade, but not lose too much. The brands I'm trying to decide between are Dugena, Lanco and Croton. The Wakmann's are out of my budget as are some of the other brands. Dugena has been my favorite with I believe the Valjoux 7763 manual wind. Any thoughts would be appreciated so I make a more informed decision. New watches are so much easier to judge and compare when vintage either has no comparable or just too many variations.

Thanks.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Just so we're clear, when you say Tri Compax are you referring to complications or subdials? Originally it was meant to refer to complications (compax) but increasingly is being used with reference to subdials.

Mike

·
Banned
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just so we're clear, when you say Tri Compax are you referring to complications or subdials? Originally it was meant to refer to complications (compax) but increasingly is being used with reference to subdials.

Mike
Mike, apologies if I misused the term. I meant with 12hr, 30 min and sweep second (3 subdials) layout vs a 30min or 45min chrono (2 subdials) only.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Completely remove any concept that any vintage tri-compact would be a better "investment" over another at the $1000 to $3000 price point. Buy what you like. Buy what you think you would want to wear a lot and always buy the seller first. There are many options if you could raise your budget to $2000+

Reactions: Dan S

·
Banned
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Completely remove any concept that any vintage tri-compact would be a better "investment" over another at the $1000 to $3000 price point. Buy what you like. Buy what you think you would want to wear a lot and always buy the seller first. There are many options if you could raise your budget to $2000+
Thanks, and I completely get what you are saying, the Tri-compact part is a personal preference part, not the investment part. But point well made

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Tissot T12, these post-1970 (flying saucer/ hockey puck style) watches are still affordable.

70s 012.JPG

Pre-1970 not too bad either but seem to be slightly more expensive than the above (left of pic)

0.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
I would be very surprised if there was a Valjoux 7763 in the 1960s or 70s. It sounds like some sort of 7750 variant, and would be found in later watches. Very strange choice. Do you mean 7736?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Mike, apologies if I misused the term. I meant with 12hr, 30 min and sweep second (3 subdials) layout vs a 30min or 45min chrono (2 subdials) only.

None necessary, just wanted to make sure you get the info you're looking for!

Mike

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Badbackdan. Oops. You're right. I meant 7736
In that case, I think you're on the right track. It won't be extremely easy, but with patience I think you can find a Valjoux 7736 chronograph that you will be happy with (size, style, condition, originality) for $1,000 in the current market. However, be prepared to kiss a lot of frogs because most of the chronographs in that price range will have something wrong with them, and you will have to comb through hundreds of listings to find a few good ones.

As stated above, in this price range, you will not necessarily be buying a famous brand name, so the value will have more to do with overall quality, condition, and style, so you probably shouldn't worry too much about the maker. Obviously re-sale prices are never guaranteed and none of us knows where the market will go, so try to buy a watch that you will enjoy wearing.

·
Registered
149 Posts
This is a very hot segment right now, so some patience will be needed on a budget. I think the few brands you listed are a good searching start to stay on the lower cost with a Valjoux 7736. IMO the 1970s Lanco chronos in most forms (7736, 7733 etc.) are a bit underrated and under valued. The ones I have (and have had) have very nice quality dials and cases for the price point they usually command.

·
Banned
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is a very hot segment right now, so some patience will be needed on a budget. I think the few brands you listed are a good searching start to stay on the lower cost with a Valjoux 7736. IMO the 1970s Lanco chronos in most forms (7736, 7733 etc.) are a bit underrated and under valued. The ones I have (and have had) have very nice quality dials and cases for the price point they usually command.
Thanks, funny you mentioned that as I was just looking at a Lanco a few minutes ago. I just have no clue each time a brand pops up. So far the list is Dugena, lanco and Tissot for what I want but for some reason I'm not drawn to the vintage Tissot. It seems very limited looking for a three register 12hr Chrono. The simulators and almost identical case backs on some add to the confusion. I could also up my budget but I don't want to overdo my first vintage search budget. I have a grail or two in the modern arena I still have to save for. Any others that come to mind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
503 Posts
Tri compax refers to the complications rather than the number of subdials. I see this confusion popping up ever so often nowadays. By that logic, a UG uni compax should have only one sub register which is totally not the case.

For watches with 3 subdials as others have mentioned something along the lines of a 7736 would fall into your given budget. Or even some of the older 7750s would be a good buy. There are a couple of those in Heuer Montreal styles floating around the market. Cheers and best of luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks, funny you mentioned that as I was just looking at a Lanco a few minutes ago. I just have no clue each time a brand pops up. So far the list is Dugena, lanco and Tissot for what I want but for some reason I'm not drawn to the vintage Tissot. It seems very limited looking for a three register 12hr Chrono. The simulators and almost identical case backs on some add to the confusion. I could also up my budget but I don't want to overdo my first vintage search budget. I have a grail or two in the modern arena I still have to save for. Any others that come to mind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Others you could look for might be Yema, Le Jour, and if you want a more household name, Elgin. You may also want to consider going to a two register 7733 or two register with date, 7734. On your budget, you will have a bit more options especially when it comes to condition.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts